Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
TUCKERS OP
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,382
Alternative oil filter choice

(2) R1150GS's single spark.

We just finished a 6000+ miles trip on 2 GS's using:

Purolator Precision Motorcycle Oil Filter # ML16825

Some pretty hard fast riding at high speeds.

Must say it was cool installing Purolator replacements at a third of the cost of BMW filters.

Nothing changed except the money in my pocket .

They look just like the BMW filters, seem to work just like them and you can even write BMW on them with a black marker if you like .

That's all folks, just thought I'd share
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
rkjjeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
be nice to know the diff between the purolator "motorcycle" filter above and the L10241 which also works just fine
rkjjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #3
Petethepup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Watch that warranty; watch that product liability

If a bike is in warranty, my lawyerly recommendation is to use BMW filters. If you experience an oil-flow related problem - spun bearing, that kind of thing, don't expect BMW to cover it if the bike has an aftermarket filter.

If a bike is out of warranty and the oil filter fails & the paper parts eat a bearing, and the filter is non BMW, don't expect BMW to pay for any repair. I know of two cases where this happened - to 1000cc K engines. Way out of warranty. BMW covered the engine rebuild where a BMW filter failed. BMW said "have fun rebuilding your engine" where the filter was non BMW.

Guess it comes down to a roll of the dice. Probably a pretty safe roll - filter failures are rare. But, if it comes up snake eyes, prepare for that fun $1,000 rebuild.
Petethepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #4
dhk
dhk

Oddometer: 41
Oil filter

If you type motorcycle oil filter into google you can find some interesting reading. Basically the BMW filters are the best. The are glass matrix and a lot of it so the catch mote smaller particles and so your engine last longer. Maybe they should but one on their final drives. Anyhow I use mobile one filters for card which are also glass matrix and about 7 bucks and available around the corner from you.

Peace
dhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
grantsdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
bypass valve

AFAIK all full-flow oil filters employ a bypass relief valve in case the filter media becomes saturated with particulates. Bypass may also be achieved if the oil is too thick to flow through the media at a given rate. I'm pretty sure Mahle is the manufacturer of 'BMW' branded filters but detailed information about them is hard to find. At least for me.

There are a lot of filters that have a 3/4-16 thread that will fit the boxer motors, but are they running in by-pass prematurely? Or does the BP valve open later than it should?

Another thing to consider is the GPM flow rating of the BMW (Mahle) filter. What is it? Does the filter you're using provide the same GPM?

All that being said I am currently using 1150-specified filters from K&N, Bosch and WIX on my 1200. (The nearest BMW dealer is 2-1/2 hours away. It's not a fun ride either) I like the extra capacity of the 1150 filters although the BP rating might be different. These boxer motors are pretty simple (durable) by design, that's a good thing. I worry more about the FD than the oil filter.

My bike is out of warranty; wouldn't a failure have to be proven caused by the filter to void a warranty? Magnusson-Moss?
grantsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
grantsdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Can I ask a question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petethepup
If a bike is in warranty, my lawyerly recommendation is to use BMW filters. If you experience an oil-flow related problem - spun bearing, that kind of thing, don't expect BMW to cover it if the bike has an aftermarket filter.

If a bike is out of warranty and the oil filter fails & the paper parts eat a bearing, and the filter is non BMW, don't expect BMW to pay for any repair. I know of two cases where this happened - to 1000cc K engines. Way out of warranty. BMW covered the engine rebuild where a BMW filter failed. BMW said "have fun rebuilding your engine" where the filter was non BMW.

Guess it comes down to a roll of the dice. Probably a pretty safe roll - filter failures are rare. But, if it comes up snake eyes, prepare for that fun $1,000 rebuild.
How did BMW determine that the filter in question was being used at the time of failure? A motor 'way out of warranty' could have used a non-BMW branded filter somewhere during it's lifetime, right? Unless of course it was dealer serviced and documented.

Please forgive my tone. I don't mean to sound abrasive; curious minds want to know.
grantsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsdad
How did BMW determine that the filter in question was being used at the time of failure? A motor 'way out of warranty' could have used a non-BMW branded filter somewhere during it's lifetime, right? Unless of course it was dealer serviced and documented.

Please forgive my tone. I don't mean to sound abrasive; curious minds want to know.

Never heard of a BMW, or any other, filter failing, on a BMW or anything else.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petethepup

If a bike is out of warranty and the oil filter fails & the paper parts eat a bearing, and the filter is non BMW, don't expect BMW to pay for any repair.

I know of two cases where this happened - to 1000cc K engines. Way out of warranty. BMW covered the engine rebuild where a BMW filter failed.
I know of 17 cases where this happened... so far this year!!!

It's a very common problem. It happens every time someone asks about aftermarket oil filters.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

It's a very common problem. It happens every time someone asks about aftermarket oil filters.

I wore non-BMW boots to my dealer and my ABS failed!!
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
HelmetHead Cycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
What about a K&N oil filter? Any comments?
HelmetHead Cycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Limey 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Laugh

I demand 'made in America'....therefore during the past 5 plus years for my R1100R Oilhead, I have used only Walmart # 3614 Super Tech ..made in USA.... $2.89 ea
Limey 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #12
Teager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Now that's funny!
Teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #13
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey 1
I demand 'made in America'....therefore during the past 5 plus years for my R1100R Oilhead, I have used only Walmart # 3614 Super Tech ..made in USA.... $2.89 ea
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
justJeff
Banned

Oddometer: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey 1
So you demand only American made products for your (German made) bike?

justJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,758
Mobil1 and Purolator filters are both high quality and can be used without concern on boxers. Avoid Fram oil filters due to the cardboard endcap construction. If the endcap fails, you will end up with cardboard debris in an oil gallery where it will do damage.
def is offline   Reply With Quote