Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
LUDO OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Dakar Transfers, Silly Season!

GREAT NEWS: CHALECO LOPEZ WILL RIDE ON
APRILIA FOR THE NEXT PHARAONS RALLY!

The great Chilean rider, Francisco “Chaleco” López will participate on the next Pharaons Rally on an Aprilia RXV Africa of Giofil Team. He will join Alex Zanotti and Paolo Ceci on their conquest of the Pyramids.

During the next version of the Pharaons Rally, that takes place in Egypt from October 3rd to the 11th, the Team Aprilia Giofil has made a beautiful commitment by engaging the rider Francisco “Chaleco” López.
This agreement, born a few weeks ago, will certainly have a bomb effect on the rally raid´s world. López is one of the strongest riders of the discipline, and he takes the challenge proposed by Filippo Assirelli with the greatest enthusiasm. The young team manager takes, therefore, three riders to the Pharaons Rally, and López will be supported by Alex Zanotti, third on the scratch and winner of the 450cc category last year, along with Paolo Ceci. The Italian team will also assist, like last year, two private riders: Gaetano De Filippo and Daniele Carmigniani. So, there will be five bikes Aprilia RXV 450 Africa at the start of the Egyptian rally raid. All of them will look for the best outcome, and at the same time, they will test the 2009 version of the bike on a real race. Indeed, many changes have been made to the 2008 model, to start from an aesthetic review and design made in close cooperation with the Centro Stile Aprilia. The race test on the Pharaons Rally is, therefore, important for the future of the team, because it is not a secret that the Team Aprilia Giofil is highly interested on the next Dakar, the most prestigious race on the rally raid world, which will be carried out at the beginning of 2010 in South America.
FRANCISCO “CHALECO” LOPEZ

Francisco López was born September 15th , 1975 in Curicó, the southern center region of Chile.
At the age of 4, he starts to ride a motorcycle, driven by his father, Renato Lopez, a three times National MotoCross champion.
Lopez inherits not only the talent and passion from his father, but also his nickname “Chaleco”, meaning “Pullover”, that comes from the fact that he ride with a big wool knitted sweater made by his mother Ana Maria, which also served him as protection.
Then, Francisco trains up until he gets noticed, and became the Latin American Champion of MotoCross of the 85cc category in 1989.
On his awards, he counts the National MotoCross Championship not less than five times, on 125cc and five titles on 250cc.
His beginning on the rally raid was in “Por Las Pampas Rally” 2005, where, as a rookie, he won a special before the best riders of this sport.
2006, he became World Champion in 450cc category with Honda. His excellent performances and results gave him the pass to become an official KTM rider on 2007.

Press Office Team Aprilia Giofil
Edoardo Bauer
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,466

Very interesting.

I'm glad to see Aprilia stepping it up for the Rally world, and apparently planning ahead for Dakar.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Cool to see this all happening! David Casteu has apparently also switched to Sherco 450 bikes, right?

Anybody else switch sides? What about Coma or Despres?

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
LUDO OP
Studly Adventurer

DAVID CASTEU AT THE DAKAR with a 100% FRENCH TEAM

Following ASO's decision to switch to 450cc, David Casteu has decided to play the game with the new rules and will take the start of the 2010 Dakar with French Motorcycle, SHERCO.

The Title sponsor of the Team is long time partner of David Casteu, ELF Lubricants.

PArtner sponsor are SHERCO Factory and MASSA Sports

The SHERCO is an injected 450cc which is developed with SHERCO engineers.

Water Carrier for David will be Mike Pisano, young rally rider with promising future who David wants to help as a serious rally racer. A 3rd rider will be named later.

tests in Morocco:

Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
Aprilia looks good.
I thought I read somewhere that the 450 twins were no longer allowed by ASO?
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
LUDO OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA
Aprilia looks good.

KTM and its lobbying to prevent any bike from potentially competing with their rally machines are gone... so twins are in!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
mantan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
I will love to see the RXV in Dakar! I have an 09 550 so I am biased. Also sick of hearing how these are very high maintenance racing engines and will not last X miles of high speed runs etc. People talk about oil changes 200-300 miles and what not. It may even inspire me to finially go down south to watch the rally live.
mantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,928
the Sherco's did very well at 2009 Dakar so will be great to see one in Davids hands etc

very good to build some brand diversity in the rallye world
Old 09-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,778
[QUOTE=LUDO]

That thing looks bitchin'. Having ridden an 09 450, I can see the potential for sure...

Good news on the Sherco as well. Another good bike, and many similarities to an RFS which has proven itself.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:41 AM   #10
G.T
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Wicked Rxv

[quote=neduro][quote=LUDO]

That thing looks bitchin'. Having ridden an 09 450, I can see the potential for sure...

Go the little Aprilia's, great bikes and sound amazing ...bring on the Dakar...
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Aprilia looks good.

I had thought so, too. Whether they changed their minds, or it was never the case, this should be interesting!

Quote:
6P2 GROUPS AND CLASSES
GROUPS & CLASSES NAME
GROUP 1 ASO ELITE RIDERS
GROUP 2 Not on ASO’s ELITE list
2.1 Super Production 0 to 450 cc
2.2 Super Production over 450 cc
2.3 Marathon
GROUP 3 QUAD
In Groups 1 and 2, twin cylinders of over 451 cm3 are forbidden.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
Ddidn't think we were crazy.
Charlie posted that ASO had told them that the Aprilia's would be out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=550

Must be hard getting organised for competitors this year. ASO seem to be as organised as a mad woman's breakfast.

PPiA screwed with this post 09-23-2009 at 02:18 PM
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #13
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Ddidn't think we were crazy.
Charlie posted that ASO had told them that the Aprilia's would be out.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=550

Must be hard getting organised for competitors this year. ASO seem to be as organised as a mad woman's breakfast.

Thanks for digging that up, Pete.

I knew Charlie had mentioned it, but couldn't remember if I had seen it direct from the ASO other than that. I hope Jonah wins this thing. Those guys are saints for dealing with the run-around.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #14
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
So now thats clear, 450 twins in, 550 twin out.

Rumours, opinions, emotions , money, brand affiliation all set aside, the facts are.

ASO : Although 2009 is not a great year of income, the ASO is not a bank which will fall over all of a sudden. 2010 Dakar will go ahead with a smaller field partially incorporating the ultimate rules for 2011 and 2012. Although KTM and even the FIM do not agree totally it is a fact of life. Exposure wise it is and will be the largest Rally for 2010. PS The ASO has always been a b*tch to deal with, Ask Jan de Rooij with his trucks disqualified even at the start.

450 engines can and have lasted the distance in top 30 positions without engine changes, for any nay sayers check the history not only Fretigne but masses of other riders.

Changes come and changes go, everyone simply has to deal with it. It the rulebook and ASO own this rulebook. Rossi would rather race 990's instead of 800's but the rules are there. Good bad or ugly.

Anyone want to race a 690 through Africa go for the Africa rally, if you want a Dakar medal and maybe, just maybe some exposure race the Dakar. Sure it might be a bit more difficult on a 450 but hell Dakar's arent supposed to be easy. Spirit of Dakar is probably always more in favor of "build your own bike and endure 8000 km of drama" rather than try to buy what the winners ride and finish.

Only time will tell which route was better or worse and that will also be highly dependant on who's point of view.

The Africa rally, yet to be proven, great for any aspiring rider but it simply isnt there yet. Not safety wise, not coverage wise and not reputation wise.
Aussie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,928
Verhoven may be down but not out

seems like Verhoven may be down but not out............still working on pulling togther a budget/team/ride for Dakar 2010

http://www.autosportweb.nl/lees.php?id=3928