User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
speedracertdi OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Setting up suspension on a Concours 14?

I just got a C14. I need help on setting up a baseline on the suspension. There is nothing in the owner's manual about it. I have had lots of bikes in the past but nothing this technologically advanced. Can any one give ideas or post a link to some good information? Thanks!
speedracertdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
mpowers
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi
I just got a C14. I need help on setting up a baseline on the suspension. There is nothing in the owner's manual about it. I have had lots of bikes in the past but nothing this technologically advanced. Can any one give ideas or post a link to some good information? Thanks!
Reread the owners manual, it's in there for setting up for 180lb rider. After that ride the bike, write down what you like and make one adjustment at a time in the direction you think you would like for the bike to feel.

Everyone with a c14 has their bike set up differently depending on road and style. So just use the owners manual as a base line and work from it.
mpowers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
speedracertdi OP
Studly Adventurer

I re-read the manual tonight. You're right, thanks. I am still looking if anyone has links to any good articles to read on the subject. Biggest thing I would like to know is how you setup the preload sag to your weight for the street. Manual says the bike is setup for a 150lb. rider. I'm 245 and it feels fine. Although, I haven't pushed this bike at all yet.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
I re-read the manual tonight. You're right, thanks. I am still looking if anyone has links to any good articles to read on the subject. Biggest thing I would like to know is how you setup the preload sag to your weight for the street. Manual says the bike is setup for a 150lb. rider. I'm 245 and it feels fine. Although, I haven't pushed this bike at all yet.
Adjust the preload so the sag is about 30-33% of travel. This sag is measured with you on the bike in riding gear. If you google motorcycle suspension sag you will get plenty of information on the subject.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
I am 245# and my set up has been so good that I only change the pre-load when riding 2up. I have a note of that someplace but I am sure I have posted on www.concours.org forum. Try a search there, meanwhile I will be looking for my notes and will post here.

Edit: copy of my posting

I am 6'-3 and about 245-250 Lbs. My settings are as follow:
Forks: 10mm and 4 clicks out (rebound)
Shock: 24 (?) clicks in and 1 click out (rebound)

These settings are a bit stiff but...I like them that way for spirited riding. For 2up, I will just adjust further the shock preload.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...

olie screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 08:53 PM
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
anglerdon
Senior Coot

Oddometer: 84
Good advice all.

I like those stock tires pumped up a little higher than the recommended 42psi. I had mine at 45 rear and 44 front. It handles better.
anglerdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #7
speedracertdi OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks everyone. I'm going to read up on whatever I can find on-line. Olie, I'll try your settings we're close in height and weight. I can tell you, I was on bouncy I-95 running through Miami last night. Felt like the wheels were catching air on the rebound. I turned the fork damping out two clicks and it seemed to help alot. Couldn't reach the rear while riding (duh) so I'll turn the shock out a couple of clicks today. On a side note from last night, are R1s really that slow?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
vegasphotog
Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer: 3,255
Quote:
On a side note from last night, are R1s really that slow?
Old 06-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
fretless
NYC Moto

Oddometer: 61
On a 2010 C14, are the rings around the front preload cylinders calibrated to something, like 2 or 3mm, or are they just an arbitrary reference?

fretless screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 02:06 PM
fretless is offline   Reply With Quote