Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
macdarren OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
BMW crash bars on F800Gs

Just curious....

There is a lot of talk that covers most of the aftermarket bars but I am wondering has anyone ever crashed or laid the bike down with the BMW bars.

They look pretty low to me and seem like they might not offer the protection of some of the others but I am wondering, are they so ineffective that they need to be replaced if the bike came with them? (I don't have my 800 yet but the one I am considering has the dealer installed BMW bars on it as part of a special package) I personally like the look of the TT setup at least in photos. I had planned on getting those those but now I find the bike has the factory bars on it already....do I need to change them to protect the plastic and radiator...I expect being a noob I will probably dump the bike in the rough stuff more than most, at least till I can get some more off road miles under my belt, and I would rather get the right protection installed before I mess up the bike (it is a big investment for me.)

Also it is hard to tell from the various photos I have found but I would prefer bars that don't stick out too far from the bike I just prefer the look if the bars are snug in just off the parts they are protecting, though I suppose that probably means they protect a little less.

Thanks
D

macdarren screwed with this post 10-09-2009 at 12:41 PM
macdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,890
I don't recall seeing anyone report a crash "test" of the BMW bars, only Adventure Spec and Givi bars. We'll see if this thread flushes out any news.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
argee
freed speaker

Oddometer: 43
Had my first off in 57+k miles on my 3 week old gs800, which was wearing BMW crash bars. the bars saved the engine casing, nothing else. They dont protect the body work in any way, so they'll be replaced, probably with SW Motech ones. BTW, bike was just back from Dealer 600 mile service and post crash check revealed 41psi front and 43psi rear tyre pressures. Tyres are Pirelli Scorpions and should run 32 and 36 respectively. Dealer is denying any liability....(it was raining).

argee screwed with this post 10-27-2009 at 01:21 AM
argee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by argee
Had my first inoff in 57+k miles on my 3 week old gs800, which was wearing BMW crash bars. the bars saved the engine casing, nothing else. They dont protect the body work in any way, so they'll be replaced, probably with SW Motech ones. BTW, bike was just back from Dealer 600 mile service and post crash check revealed 41psi front and 43psi rear tyre pressures. Tyres are Pirelli Scorpions and should run 32 and 36 respectively. Dealer is denying any liability....(it was raining).
Yeah, that's the problem with the BMW and Givi "crash" bars, or any others that don't come up over the side plastics. I'd recommend the Holans or SW-Motechs or Adventure Specs.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Yeah, that's the problem with the BMW and Givi "crash" bars, or any others that don't come up over the side plastics. I'd recommend the Holans or SW-Motechs or Adventure Specs.
The Givis work great. Though they don't come up as high as some, they do stick out farther than the others, and do protect the plastic. I've had two off-road get-offs, and one serious low-side on pavement at speed (hit some diesel oil spilled on the road), and my plastics are untouched. Other Givi owners can also attest to their effectiveness.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
macdarren OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Good to know, I kinda expected as much looking at them.

Looks like I will try to not get the BMW bars as part of the package, or at least get some discount so I can pull them and maybe sell them and get some aftermarket setup.

I actually like the Givi's too, good to know they provide the protection, but as stated they do seem to stick out some and I prefer a more tucked in look....the TT are still looking good to me though I haven't see them in real life and with photos it is hard to see depth sometimes. I need to do a little more research and of course get the bike.
macdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdarren
Good to know, I kinda expected as much looking at them.

Looks like I will try to not get the BMW bars as part of the package, or at least get some discount so I can pull them and maybe sell them and get some aftermarket setup.

I actually like the Givi's too, good to know they provide the protection, but as stated they do seem to stick out some and I prefer a more tucked in look....the TT are still looking good to me though I haven't see them in real life and with photos it is hard to see depth sometimes. I need to do a little more research and of course get the bike.
The Hepco Becker are similiar to Givi's and are a bit more tucked in. Take a look at those.
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly
The Hepco Becker are similiar to Givi's and are a bit more tucked in. Take a look at those.
... but do they work?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
... but do they work?
Not based on what I saw this last weekend. My brother took a couple of minor off-road spills (on a borrowed F800GS, no less ), and the Hepco Beckers didn't protect the plastic at all. What's more, one of them bent inward. They may look good, but they're practically useless as protection, IMO.

David

--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 09:55 AM
Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #10
The Griz
North Forest Rider

See those gnarly rocks on the right? Lay your bike down on that and those Givi's won't do shit to protect the plastics and rad. Adv Specs, Motechs, and Holans will. If you're going to be riding any terrain that has items that stick up off the ground higher than 6" or so, I'd seriously recommend some bars that come up higher.

So it depends on where you're going to be riding to, and what parts on your bike you want to protect.

The Givi's would protect on this:

And might (keyword: might) on this:

But not so much on this:

The Griz screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 12:40 PM
Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
The Griz
North Forest Rider

All I know is that if I was going to do riding like this I'd definitely want something that comes up higher than the Givi's or BMW's:

Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
See those gnarly rocks on the right? Lay your bike down on that and those Givi's won't do shit to protect the plastics and rad.
Well, they protected the plastics and radiator just fine here, Griz. Note that the handlebars didn't add any protection here. It was just the Givis keeping the bike high enough, and away from the rocky berm. Some of the taller bars are awfully close to the plastic, and the protruding rocks you cite will easily fit between the bars and ding the plastics if you hit them right. It's always a trade-off. Buy what suits you best. But I have first-hand knowledge of how well the Givis protect.

David

--Curly

WoodWorks screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 12:55 PM
Old 10-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Not based on what I saw this last weekend. My brother took a couple of minor off-road spills (on a borrowed F800GS, no less ), and the Hepco Beckers didn't protect the plastic at all. What's more, one of them bent inward. They may look good, but they're practically useless as protection, IMO.

David
Must be talking about my bike!

Yes, the bars, as a unit, bent from the impact. Fairly significant scraping of paint/metal on the bars as well. A 10- 15 minute session with my rubber mallet and I was able to fix them. That being said, I would add that his impact had quite a bit of force to it as the handlebar (with BMW hand guards) was bent significantly along with the handlebar attachment bolt (bar clamp to triple). These were the Touratech 20mm raised ones. It takes a lot of force to bend these bolts! Especially considering they run through a metal sleeve in a rubber bushing which provides "give". Also, fork triples were taken out of alignment.

As for the plastics, there was one scrape through the radiator cover, at the front. I wasn't there but I would expect that any protection bar may not be able to protect against all scrapes. There were several scrapes/dents/bends to the rear tank cover, exhaust, passenger peg and bracket as well.

From my assessment, the bars did their job admirably under what had to have been a significant whack. I don't think I would want them so stiff that they don't give. Other issues of force transmittal to the frame, etc. could be more problematic than a bent set of bars.

And, yes, he is more than welcome to take it again!! It's a dirt bike, stuff happens, and the important part was he had fun with his brother and you got a couple good laughs (so did I) at his expense and came away with minimal blood letting, bruising, and soreness! Let's just be a bit quicker with the camera and him pinned under the bike next time, would ya!!??
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Well, they protected the plastics and radiator just fine here, Griz. Note that the handlebars didn't add any protection here. It was just the Givis keeping the bike high enough, and away from the rocky berm. Some of the taller bars are awfully close to the plastic, and the protruding rocks you cite will easily fit between the bars and ding the plastics if you hit them right. It's always a trade-off. Buy what suits you best. But I have first-hand knowledge of how well the Givis protect.

David
It all depends then I guess. I just tend to air on the side of caution to protect the overly expensive plastics and rad.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwfan
Let's just be a bit quicker with the camera and him pinned under the bike next time, would ya!!??
Sorry! But I was having my own troubles with the terrain at the time. In fact, the closest I came to going down was turning around on that slope to go back up and find out what had happened to him.

I didn't see him go down, but I suspect that you're right about it being a significant whack. It was on a very steep, rocky, and rutted downhill section, and I bet that my brother, on his very first dirt ride, just got in over his head there. From what I could tell, it was definitely a high-side. So the Hepco Beckers may not have fared any worse than any other guard under those circumstances.

David

--Curly