ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
bobaab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Who's at Purdue?

I saw a Silver KTM with some panniers and a big ADV sticker on it. Is it anyone here? Very nice ride, by the way! Be careful out there in the crappy, rain weather!
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Oddometer: 658
I don't anymore, but I used to be there. Do you ride a DS of any kind? There are some great trails out West of town along the river. I can send you links to maps if you want.
StromBoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
poolboy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
re: who's at Purdue

Hey Bobaab,
I know the bike and the rider you saw on the KTM. He is my daughters boyfrie nd. He is a grad in computer science. We ride together when we get the chance, I don't know his name on this sight though. Ride safe.
poolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
bobaab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromBoni
I don't anymore, but I used to be there. Do you ride a DS of any kind? There are some great trails out West of town along the river. I can send you links to maps if you want.
Yes! River road...I go down there with my MR2 once in a while. This is my last semester at Purdue (fortunately) so I don't have my bike down there (unfortunately). If you can map out other routes though, that would be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboy
Hey Bobaab,
I know the bike and the rider you saw on the KTM. He is my daughters boyfrie nd. He is a grad in computer science. We ride together when we get the chance, I don't know his name on this sight though. Ride safe.
I saw his bike near the Armory, which is right across from the CS building. Very cool that you can connect to your daughter's boyfriend through motorcycling though! Let him know I said "hi" and ride safe!
Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
TheRobG
Adventure Scientist

Oddometer: 74
The KTM is me. I commute to my office in Lawson most days from quite a distance out in the country. Thanks for the comments. I will say that the slick roads don't scare me half as much as the pedestrians on campus. Riding at Purdue is a double edge sword. Parking is actually much better for bikes than cars, but pedestrians just don't seem to understand that, unlike a car, it isn't always ideal for a bike to slam on the brakes just because they decided to exert their right of way.

If you ever have your bike on campus let me know, we should go ride : ) Despite the shear number of bikes at Purdue, you would be surprised how hard it is to find serious riders.

StromBoni - Always happy to see new trails!
TheRobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 617
I just movd to the West Lafayette area, could someone please link to those maps, I need to put some miles on the KLR

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
Tofino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Hey guys. I'm new to the area, just left the working world to start grad school. Anyone know of some good local rides? I made a loop around Kentucky a couple weeks ago, which was very sweet, but unfortunately did not find much between here and the Kentucky border. Any suggestions? Thanks

TheRobG - I have also seen your KTM Adventure around campus a couple times. Nice ride!
Tofino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
bobaab OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool to see some riders around the Purdue area! Unfortunately, I'm graduating this semester and won't be on campus most likely. My girlfriend will still be at Purdue for another 2 years, so I will definitely let you guys know if I come down there with my Ninjette.

I just started riding this year, but I went on a little 400 mile tour two weekends ago in the Central Wisconsin area. Loved all of it! I wish I had started way earlier...
Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
gtackett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofino
Hey guys. I'm new to the area, just left the working world to start grad school. Anyone know of some good local rides? I made a loop around Kentucky a couple weeks ago, which was very sweet, but unfortunately did not find much between here and the Kentucky border. Any suggestions? Thanks

TheRobG - I have also seen your KTM Adventure around campus a couple times. Nice ride!

I'm not going to be able to make this ride, but it should be a great ride. These guys know ALL the roads around South Central Indiana.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506892

~ I was at Purde from 1988-92......

Greg T.
gtackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Since I don't live there anymore, I don't have to worry about people stealing my secret riding spots anymore.

Spot #1: Purdue Airport
See that sandy, trail filed area just to the SW of the airstrip? It is an old quarry. Entrance is through the little wooded pull-off on the East side of CR300, go downhill, go towards the runway, but divert to the right of it. Enjoy, but look out for gravel trucks.

Spot #2: Boat Launch
Just west of the turn for S 700W is a little drive to the south for a boat launch. Go to the end of the road and turn right. All that land along the river, depending on flood status (after a flood all the weeds are flattened) you can ride all along the embankment. BE CAREFUL, this spot is not legal and the DNR patrols it regularly.

Spot #3: Turkey Shoot
You ever see that sign on the side of the road for a Turkey Shoot. Well, this is where the drive way leads. The forest both East and West of here is full of single track and 2-track. I will leave it up to you to find the non-gated entrance to this area.

And if you are daring, the cross country course just west of campus is a killer race track, but go at night, ride a quiet bike, and be prepared to run.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
TheRobG
Adventure Scientist

The southern Indiana guys definitely have the roads. If you are looking for something in the semi-immediate area the 2 places I can suggest are

http://www.parkecounty.com/about/map.asp

and

http://www.kerstingscycle.com/muse.html

poolboy and I have done most of the yellow covered bridge route and took a trip up to the museum. I will say that, while the museum is pretty cool, the roads north out of here leave something to be desired in general. Southwest seems to have more entertaining roads.

Tofino - what are you in grad school here for? I wonder how many more of us there are?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
not there anymore but had fun out there for a little while on the 950, here is a ride report of around in the area let me know if you want any GPS tracks...

Watch out for the deers out there...

Luc

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
Tofino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thanks everybody for all the feedback! This site is awesome! Wish I would have heard about it a couple years ago.

Gagnaou - Sweet Videos Unfortunately, my SuperDuke gets a little sketchy on the gravel. I have been seriously considering making the switch to an Adventure or GS and those videos are helping persuade me.

TheRobG - Those Parke County loops like like a nice afternoon ride from here. What's the split down there of gravel vs. pavement?
I am in the Mechanical Engineering department. I think I read you are in Comp Sci? If there is a handful of us around Purdue with similar riding tastes, might be fun to set up some rides.
Tofino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
TheRobG
Adventure Scientist

Yep, I am CS. We will just both have to look for a group to get together. I don't suspect I will find any others in CS though. You should see the looks I get when I show up in the morning in full gear... Depending on your cold-weather preferences, let me know if you want to ride some time.

The Parke county loops vary on pavement and gravel. The loop we were on had a good bit of gravel but nothing too bad and nothing you couldn't see coming and avoid if you needed to. With the superduke, it might be worth looking at the map closely and looking for the routes (even with some alt roads) that are confirmable from google maps. Most of the time the bit of ride immediately at the bridge is gravel but you aren't traveling far on it.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #15
StromBoni
Hot Dog Captain

Oops, I guess I didn't realize that you guys were looking for pavement. At least you have access to all of my old dirt finds if you ever want it.