User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2002, 11:10 AM   #1
Scary Mc OP
hellgrammite

Oddometer: 3,709
Question Boyscout! Tell us more about the KTM

BS- Anymore useful beta on the KTM now that you've had it for a dfew miles? I think I want one...

thanks- Scary
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 11:26 AM   #2
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,175
I second that.

Yeah, how is it?

Yo, Scary, we gotta get Mars to come ride with us so we can see his KTM in action. Last time I saw it, it was waaaay to clean!
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:21 AM   #3
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,320
OK- I'm slammed at work right now, so here are a few random thoughts.

Love it, Love it, Love it.

Have about 2300 miles on it so far. Either I am adjusting to the vibiness of the motor or it is actually mellowing out. When I first got it, I sometimes had trouble reading street signs at idle due to the vibration, not so anymore. Don't really notice any vibration through the handlebars (fatty bars, not stock), but there is some vibration through the pegs. I replaced the stock pegs with the touring ones as the stock ones were a little small.

Power is great. Still running things pretty much stock except with the snorkel removed and slightly richer. It'll loft the front wheel in first with a half tank or less. Had it up to 100 and it doesn't really want to go much faster but it'll cruise between 80 and 90 with ease and accelerate well in that range. Red line is 8500 rpm and it doesn't seem to lose any power up there. For off-road and "spirited" road rides it seems most comfortable between 5 and 7k providing plenty of engine braking and acceleration. Below 5K there isn't much engine braking but still has decent power from 3K and up.

Suspension kicks ass. Soaks up anything on the trail with ease. Off angle obstacles are pretty easy to handle even with my limited off-road experience and weak right arm. The height of the bike is a double edged sword. It makes it a pain to get on and off and can be trouble when you stop somewhere unintended but is a lifesaver when you are able to bridge a drop off or obstacle that would have left most other bikes suspended on the skid plate. There are options to lower the bike but I don't want to compromise the suspension. I'll just learn to live with the height.

Durability is amazing. This thing is tough as nails which is good as I am really abusing it. Only previous bike I've had off-road is the R100GS and this is a totally different animal. I've dropped it on everything from fireroads to granite and it has stood up to everything without fail (one mirror and turn signal excepting).

A few negatives:

For road use, seat is less than comfy :-) but I'm not willing to reduce my standover clearance any more by going with an aftermarket seat. I think my butt is starting to toughen up. You won's see me doing Iron Butt rides on this thing though.

There is a huge jump between 2nd and 3rd gear that makes some of my favorite roads less fun. Descending Tunitas Creek means either taking it really slow or constantly shifting between 2nd and third.

On the road this bike is best in 3rd gear twisties around 50mph. It does get tiring on long pavement rides. For how well it performs off-road, however, I'd say the trade off is worth it.

It needs a side stand. The only way to add a side stand is to weld a mounting plate to the frame or remove the center stand. I'll probably do the former eventually.

Would be nice to have some kind of throttle lock for long road rides. Don't know anyone who makes one.

There is a decent amount of material on this bike on the web, but most of it is in German.

So to quote Ricardo:

THIS BIKE IS THE SHIT

-BS

boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:29 AM   #4
boyscout
sittin' down

One other thing, this bike has the most complicated oil change around. The oil is routed through the frame meaning you have two drain plugs, two filters and and two places to fill it. After adding the necessary oil you have to bleed the oil system. My manual says that while the bike is under warranty you're supposed to have a KTM dealer change the oil for which they will charge you 1.5 hours labor. I am working on the assumption that this will not matter unless there is a problem due to insufficient oil pressure or quantity.

-BS

Old 07-16-2002, 11:31 AM   #5
boyscout
sittin' down

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak
boyscout, what's the seat height of your stock KTM?
Really tall . I don't really know. i have a 30 inch inseam and I can just put the balls of both my feet down. I think I'm running the suspension a bit stiff so perhaps with appropriate sag it will lower some.

-BS

Old 07-16-2002, 11:56 AM   #6
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
My LC4's seat height is 37 inches..

Oil changes are a pain.. Make sure you bleed the front frame member, if you don't you'll starve the second oil pump...

And Don't Pinch the friggin o-ring on the secondary Filter cover..
KTM part number 580.30.009.000 :mad:
Old 07-16-2002, 01:59 PM   #7
Scary Mc OP
hellgrammite

640 owners- What are the service intervals for things like valve adjustments, carb adjustments and the like?

Is getting to the valves for an adjustment a PITA?

What about mechanical repairs on the road, feasible? Any computerized crap, or is it 'old fashioned'?

I'm guessing the chicks think it's even uglier than the GS, if thats possible...

I'm 6'3" and 225lbs, would it be to small for me?

gracias- Scary
Old 07-16-2002, 02:47 PM   #8
boyscout
sittin' down

Quote:
Originally posted by Scary Mc
640 owners- What are the service intervals for things like valve adjustments, carb adjustments and the like?
I believe the official count is 3000 miles, although it's been recommended to me to change the oil every 1500 and then do the filters and valves every 4500.

Quote:
Is getting to the valves for an adjustment a PITA?
Kind of, you have to remove the fairing and tank.

Quote:
What about mechanical repairs on the road, feasible? Any computerized crap, or is it 'old fashioned'?
Only computer is the trip computer which is read only. Pretty damn simple.

Quote:
I'm guessing the chicks think it's even uglier than the GS, if thats possible...
It's not and the Adventure is a beautiful bike.

Quote:
I'm 6'3" and 225lbs, would it be to small for me?
Definitely try one before you buy. Santa threw a leg over mine and said it felt small for him, I think he's about your size.

-BS

Old 07-17-2002, 05:11 AM   #9
Marotte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Thumb Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!

I got an Adventure since 2 month now.

Although I used it only for city commuting, not something it should be best at, it's a fantastic bike.

It's really fun to ride and very well built. Same quality than a Honda, much more fun than a BMW.

Maybe a little extra engine power would be welcome (my previous bike was a Buell, so...)

Only deception is the front braking, which hasn't a nice feeling and is only "relatively" efficient. Hopefully, the bike is light.
Marotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 05:25 AM   #10
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
KTM Maintenance

Changine the Oil is a PITA. Not too bad, just takes a long time. Remove spin on oil-filter gaurd.
Remove both drain plugs.
Remove lower front frame drain plug.
Remove spin on oil filter.
Remove countershaft sprocket cover.
Loosen neutral safety switch wire, pull out of way.
Remove rear brake MC bolts, pop rear brake lever return spring off.
Remove 3 bolts on secondary oil filter cover, R&R oil filters.

Installation is the reverse, BUT you got to bleed the front frame oil tube. Which is a pain to get oil into.. 600 cc's into a closed cylinder..

Valve adjustments are eaiser. I checked mine at 1500 miles. the exhaust valves were out .002", intakes were fine. They are screw-and-locknut type adjustment. Not hard to get too, just need a cut down 5mm allen.

Carb stuff. Some like the Mikuni CV, some swap it for a Dell'orto. I kept the Mikuni and went from a 142.5 to a 157.5 main jet (large Mikuni jets). The older models came with a Edelbrock Quicksilver Carb in the states, ditch this carb immediately. It is crap.

No more maintenance than any other Bike I've ever owned.

-MM
Old 07-19-2002, 08:45 AM   #11
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
The KTMs are for men, real men, who demand a motorcycle up to the challenge. It's not about smoothness. It's not about comfort and cruising. It's about getting from Point A to Point B, no matter the route, the weather, the conditions... but getting to Point B. If you want to be comfy on pavement, order up an RT.

It has a 37" seat height, but the suspension settles when you mount the bike and I can put the balls of my feet down at 5'11" with a 31" inseam... I wouldn't recommend this bike to anyone shorter unless you are an expert rider. If that makes you nervous, move on and get a KLR.

The stock seat is awesome. Comfortable for 1000+ mile roadtrips, trips around the world, or durable for dirt excursions, giving the rider the choice to ride in different positions throughout the day or night. If you think you need a new seat, this bike isn't for you. Get the BMW single and call it a day.

The KTM LC4 is a bike that begs to be maintained by its owner. Oil changes and valve adjustments every 3000, designed for an owner to do in a few hours in their garage without any special tools or special lifts. It's a machine designed to cross deserts and all the roads you can throw at it. If you want to be pampered or cruise around in excess, this isn't the bike for you. If you only like its looks but are hesistant about vibration or comfort, this isn't the bike for you. Go buy a Ducati and a self-help book and build your self esteem.

I personally love the ergonomics and seating position of this bike. I can ride this bike endlessly. I have had mine for 3 months next week and have 4,000 miles on it. I commute 3 days a week on it, ride 80/20 pave/dirt, have completed an IronButt event and look forward to many long years with this machine. I recommend the Touratech hardbags, for they are light, strong and you can store tons of gear for your long jaunts away from your "Corporate-sit-in-a-cube-under-flourescent-lights-way-of-life-job." If you are bothered by vibrations, motorcycles aren't probably your thing. I recommend a visit to your local VESPA dealer, you will enjoy the boutique experience.

When Tom Hanks character, in "A league of their own" said, "There's no crying in baseball!" The same holds true about comfort, maintenance, seat modifications when referring to a KTM. Its a DS race bike that the consumer can purchase. Yes, they make a Rally version, yadda yadda yadda, Please tell me all the other neat things you know, I really can't wait for your informative reply, you highly educated one. IF you want that type of commitment and ruggedness, you can't have BMW RT/KLT amenities. If you want to be able to rip it up in the dirt and make a mistake and wash out, you can't have a six disc changer at your disposal, but you can get a micro MP3 player and put it in your pocket. Do you want a bike that can ride on a jeep trail, but still dance in the paved canyons? A KLR handles this task wonderfully. But if a bike doesn't excite you when you enter the garage, why own it? I am not a guy that has 10 bikes in his garage. I have one. I have other interests and hobbies. When I have time for my motorcycle, I have one choice, the one I own. I see that the KTM Adventure will be my DS bike. I may oneday add a bike to my stable for long distance touring, like the RT or whatever excites me. IF you are nervous about getting a KTM, don't buy one. Get something that excites you. Many many adventure owners sell their bikes within a year. They are unhappy. I guess this could be said about many brands/models. The KTM Dual sports are not for everybody, and that's okay... Suzuki makes the DR650.

I believe it's not only the best Adventure bike made, but its also the best motorcycle I can buy. ME. Definitely MY best bang for the buck. How can the best Adventure bike be an 1150GS when you are pretty much required to ride it only on the pavement, unless you are an expert rider that can handle 600lbs of heft? And Dirt doesn't mean to me, dirt roads... big whoopity... Maybe, just maybe, they mean the GS is the best LOOKING-like-it-could-go-on-a-really-cool-adventure-all-the-while-pampering-you-with-comfy-things Adventure bike? (that should get a neat comment from Fish) :) I am not trying to DISS the GS line of bikes, I just disagree wholeheartedly that they are BETTER adventure bikes than the 650 singles...

Brembo brakes, WP suspension, 50hp... you don't need anything more for the street and the way the LC4 soaks up bumps from potholes, train tracks, etc. is not remarkable or amazing, its f'n perfect. Its sick how well the KTMs perform on non-paved routes.

I live in Colorado. We have many places to ride on and off road.

I have found my perfect bike.

RocketJohn
02 Adventure
IBA#11079

RocketJohn screwed with this post 07-19-2002 at 08:57 AM
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 08:50 AM   #12
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,303
oh and another thing... I think its a disgrace the KTMs don't have their own section on here... :)

You have my full support Fish to set this up!

RJ
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2002, 10:41 AM   #13
Scary Mc OP
hellgrammite

I'm glad I didn't ask about the vibes...

Now if I could just find a 640 to test ride. I refuse to buy a bike w/o a couple a' hour test ride.

Thanks for the objective beta...

can I get a heated seat?

Old 07-19-2002, 11:03 AM   #14
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally posted by Scary Mc ...Now if I could just find a 640 to test ride. I refuse to buy a bike w/o a couple a' hour test ride
I've found myself in your neck of the woods aboard my '01 Adventure R a time or two, but I'm usually on my GS when out there. If you feel like making a trek in to Katy, I'd be happy to let ya swing a leg over the big Katoom any old time.

Rode the thing to the office today in fact...
Old 07-19-2002, 04:38 PM   #15
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Quote:
Originally posted by RocketJohn
You have my full support Fish to set this up!
feel free to take over the Tiger forum...it's growing moss again.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote