User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
GB OP
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,044
New Rox Risers for F800GS with ABS

Since obtaining my Sargent seat, I've been sitting in the forward section of the seat.. my butt was not in the seat "pocket" where it should be, so I've been waiting for Rox develop a set of risers that will install on the 800GS without having to install a longer brake hose.

I realize there's another set of Rox risers that have been used, but on the ABS equipped 800GS, the cables and brake hose are pretty tight at full lock.

The risers arrived today! Here they are!

Notice the newly added 4 threaded holes on the inside of the risers? They'll come in handy later..

It had to rain all day today but when I got home I couldn't wait to install the new risers... Here's my cockpit:

Here's a closeup of the RAM mount I installed to attach my TPX radar locator for bikes, more on this later.

Before you begin the installation, you need to make note of the handlebar clamps. Note how the gap is at the rear:

and there's no gap at the front:

This is important because when you install these Rox risers, you need to rotate these bar clamps 180 degrees, so when you install them, there's no gap at the rear, and the gap is at the front.

Cover the paintwork and then with a # 10 E torx, gently remove the 4 bolts holding the handlebar clamps in place. It would be a good idea to have a helper here to hold the bars as you loosen the clamps. Remove the handlebars and lay them on the battery cover (faux tank):

Now, mount the Rox risers and clamp them down with the stock bar clamps.

Important: Attach the rear bolts FIRST. They are easily accessible now, not so much once you mount the bars. Torque to 18 ft/lbs.

Now with your helper holding the bars up off the battery cover (faux tank), rotate the Rox risers to the desired position. Here's my desired position, but I did not have a helper, so I rotated them towards me, just to take this picture, but now I can't get the bars out because the key shroud is in the way.

As this point, install the rear stock bolts using the #10 E Torx and torque to 18 ft/lb's.

Well, now it was hard to push the Rox risers back so I can lift the handlebars off the faux tank, so I used a rubber mallet and then placed the handlebars on the risers. (I wouldn't have needed to do this if I hadn't taken the above picture to show you.)

Now use the Rox risers clamps to secure the handlebars. I torqued them to 18 ft/lbs also.

I now rotated the handlebars left and right and found that the brake hose and cables were a bit tight at full lock, that's why Rox recommends you move the clutch and brake perch 1/2 inch, which made all the difference.

I loosened one of the 2 bolts holding it to the bars and moved it over half an inch.

Clutch was also moved by simply loosening one of the 2 bolts holding it to the bars.

And those nifty threaded holes? There are 4 holes to mount one RAM mount in various positions. I also believe the larger RAM ball will fit there directly.

Here's my quick release TPX radar locater mount:

I wanted to take a before and after picture of me seated and holding the bars, but I didn't have a helper or the use of a tripod.. but I can say that now I'm seated further back and in the seat pocket. There's also a slight bend at my elbows. Tomorrow, I'm going for a ride and will surely feel the difference, and looking forward to improved comfort. I'll report back after my ride.

Thank you Rox Risers for listening to your customers who wanted risers without changing the brake line.

Here's the info as listed on their site:

New Low Pro 1 3/4"rise x 1 1/8" Stem Clamp x 1 1/8" Handlebar Dual Sport Motorcycle Pivoting Risers

New Super Low Pro 1-3/4" center to center rise for BMW F800GS and KTM's. This riser was developed around the F800GS ABS model so that you do not have to replace your front brake line. Riser barely clears the stock F800GS handlebar clamps and can be pivoted to your desired fore and aft location. Note; we moved our front brake perch inboard on the handlebar 3/8" as well to relieve even more brake line and to insure proper function. Low Pro Riser clears KTM clamps as well, a recommended Riser for the 990 Adventure with stock lines. Low Pro Riser also has (4) 8mm tap holes in the end of the posts to mount whatever you desire, Ram ball, etc.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/ca...?subcat_id=268

Highly recommended!

P.S. These will only fit the F800GS, NOT the F658GS: The F800GS and the F650GS have different diameter bars, the F650 has 7/8” bars where as the F800 has 1 1/8” bars.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Thumb

Thanks GB!
Nice write-up & pics!

I installed the 20mm TT risers a while back as I did not want to mess with new lines. Even with just the "straight" 20mm risers the lines are a bit tight.

I did not even think of moving in the levers a bit to give more slack ... but I'm headed to the garage NOW
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
GB OP
Mod Squad

Well, I just came back from a long morning ride.. These risers/barbacks did the trick.

My Sargent seat is now much more comfortable since I'm sitting in the seat pocket and my back is now pretty upright, and I'm now in the perfect riding position for this bike.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 612
Thanks Gadget, I just pulled the trigger on this setup for my F8 as well after reading this write up. Me likey!!!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
ovenking
Unfloppable

Oddometer: 38
Wow, those might just be the solution for my 658GS! I've been having some shoulder issues recently, most likely from a combination of new office furniture (and ergonomics) and having to reach forward for my handlebars.

I was looking at the TT risers, but didn't feel they would make enough of a difference. These, on the other hand, look like they will!

GB, did you notice much difference in mirror and lever placement once you moved the perches in?
ovenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #6
amycyclenut
faster dammit

Oddometer: 108
I have these ROX risers... I'm short, only 5'4" and these made a world of difference. MUCH more comfortable now.
1974 CB450
1970 CB350
amycyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #7
GB OP
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenking
GB, did you notice much difference in mirror and lever placement once you moved the perches in?
I didn't really notice any difference, but it did relieve some strain on the brake hose for sure. The clutch cable is a bit tight at full lock, but if you remove that bracket that holds the cables together, it would be fine.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #8
GB OP
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovenking
Wow, those might just be the solution for my 658GS!
Although these risers fit the F800GS, they will not fit the F650GS. I will update this thread once I find out which Rox will fit the 650. Sorry for my incorrect heading previously, as politicians say "I mis-spoke".
Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
ovenking
Unfloppable

Oddometer: 38
Darn, too good to be true! Maybe you could use whatever influence you have over at Rox HQ to get them to machine a similar set for the 658 .

The 658, like the younger and uglier sister, always getting forgotten about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Although these risers fit the F800GS, they will not fit the F650GS. I will update this thread once I find out which Rox will fit the 650. Sorry for my incorrect heading previously, as politicians say "I mis-spoke".
ovenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
GB OP
Mod Squad

I was talking to the nice folks at Rox and they basically need an F658 on site to make something that will work for it.

I think since the cables and hoses are the same for both bikes, if they just made the risers to fit the 7/8" bar, it should work. I'll see what they say.

They did say that the only risers that will work for the F658 are the 3R-P2SS but you will probably have to replace the upper portion of the brake line.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,301
GB,

Thanks for the review. I need a pair for sure.

Are both risers machined to accept bolts that hold RAM mounts?
Against The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
GB OP
Mod Squad

yes, there are 4 holes in each side to mount a RAM mount in one of them.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
skunkman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
F800 GS risers

THANK YOU GB.........for a really informative, (and visual!) post! I just got back from a very quick ride out to the heartland to leave my new GS there for further adventure and feel some risers could help when I resume my trip, but didnt know which ones?? I like the whole concept of the ROX swivel design and you have answered my questions about making them fit! Thanks again!
skunkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #14
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 612
I tried installing the risers on the F8 and while they do fit I couldn't mount my GPS bracket back on the mounts for the handlebars( BMW mount for Navigator III ) as the Rox risers holes don't center over the original holes. They are offset by 1/2". I tried mounting the risers from the inside of the perch but they ended up the same offset only shorter instead of longer. I don't have any pics, so sorry. I ended up mounting the Rox risers on my GSA and they worked fabulously! The package I got from Rox says they are for the GSA anyways.
Now I need to change the bolts on the GSA from the torx head to a allen head for clearance purposes. Anyone know what size they are? I know the front is longer and bigger.

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
ST RIDER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Original Bar Clamps

Your write-up sold me. I just finished installing them and wanted to make one comment (reluctantly). If you set the original bar clamps on their mount, they seem to be designed for the gap to be in the rear as the front sits flush. I mounted mine with the front flush and the rear with the gap and everything went fine. Also, I loosened the upper brake hose just a little and rotated it clockwise (looking down on it) and it seemed to take all the stress off of it. Thanks again for a great write up.
ST RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote