User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #4201
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Cat Generators

I wish I could get a pic of the two 500Kw emergency generators we have at work...No cameras allowed
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #4202
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Generator grab

Emergency generator for emergency services.

This one powers the Eastern Wake Fire Dept.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #4203
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

New Tag

Elvis has left the building. Show me something "Elvis". This may be a little tough to find and if it sits for a bit I'll loosen it up some

Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 PM   #4204
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Elvis has left the building. Show me something "Elvis". This may be a little tough to find and if it sits for a bit I'll loosen it up some
I know a good one. Hope I can get out before someone else gets to this one. Loosening should not be required.

Any update on whether BMW is going to take care of you or not?

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #4205
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

F800GS is kaputs. The short of the long story is that even though there "might" have been a defect in the engine casing, the fact that a chain break was involved (at all...doesn't matter whether it was cause or effect) voids the warranty.

BMW has refused to investigate even though the one, and only, other time an F800 engine case cracked like this it was ascertained to have been a chemical contamination introduced at the forging process.

In short...I'm out an F800GS even though the came apart during the warranty period due to the riders BMW includes in its warranty to get them out of having to pay for expensive repairs. Several ex-BMW service personnel have gone to bat on my behalf with BMW over this taking it all the way up the the VP for American Sales and other corporate officials. BMWs stance has remained unchanged.

As it was candidly explained -> If BMW did fix the broken engine (even though it was probably defective to begin with) it would set a bad precedent as it would open the door for anyone who breaks a chain to challenge the warranty riders.

I'm not bitter or anyting And I have learned a lifetimes worth about the inner workings of "Big Motorcycle" companies and their corporate systems.

BMW has offered a 20% discount on parts and labor to help me fix the engine because I've been such a loyal customer and own more than one BMW. And to be fair the repair is going to cost around 5 grand so 20% isn't chump change.

For me the decision has come down to principle at this point...the engine was under warranty. The engine broke. Several experts have said the only way the engine could have broke like this is if it was already defective (owing to the fact that there are no visible indicators to point to any damage that I could have caused). BMW refuses to address the situation as a "warranty" repair or even investigate to rule out the possibility of defect. For them it's economics...costs a lot to go that route. I, and lot's of other people who have position and have weighed in, think that they should address it as a warranty repair because the only other time this happened it was proven to be a defect in manufacture.

So in essence, BMW told me that my particular F800GS engine was only good for 28,000 miles...and...that they don't consider repairs on a bike like mine to be warranty-able because I essentially ride the bike like they show it in their advertisements.

From my perspective...the F800GS is the shortest lived of all the bikes I've ever owned (less than 2 years from showroom to grave). Not to mention it was one of the most expensive. I never did anything remotely as adventurous with the F800 as I did with my 1982 Yamaha Maxim street bike that lasted more than a decade and endured travel in most of the countries on this continent..

Owing to the host of problems the F8 had over its short life (literally from the malfunctioning ABS system on the first drive out of the dealership to the 20/30 mpgs it was getting a month after purchase), the word "Fragile" comes to mind right now. I will say though, that even with all the problems it had, the F800GS was still the most fun bike I've ever ridden.

Don't know what I'm going to do yet...but...the DR650 is a also darnn fun bike and I've now almost completely farkled it up to Siberia travel-worthy-ness...

NOT A TAG: The DR on the ride I took this afternoon to get the tag I already posted. BMW might want to try to understand what we want to do with our bikes and make consideration for those things....things like this.

---Sorry for the off topic rant---

Flashback screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 04:38 PM
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #4206
TimberWolf
enslaved by employer

Oddometer: 407
I wonder if you could find an engine from a totalled bike and just replace it. Wouldn't be cheap I'm sure, but should be cheaper and would be better than giving any more money to the asshats at BMW

2007 XB12X
TimberWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #4207
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,375
I have seriously been considering a F650GS until I heard about Flashback's troubles. His experience took me right back to my "I'll never own a BMW" days.

Sent from my DROID 2 using Typotalk

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #4208
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Mine is only one experience. Don't let what has happened to me dissuade you. There are lot's and lot's of people out there with F800s/650 twins who have had stellar experiences. They are good bikes and like I've always said...the F8 has been the most fun bike I've ever ridden.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #4209
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, but...
The fact that they'd go to that extreme to NOT help you and what I've read about the forks on one of the 650s leads me to believe alot of what I've read and heard about BMW's attitude towards the motorcycle end of their business - red headed stepchild sort of stuff.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #4210
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Yeah, but my decision led me to something awesome. If all goes as planned, I'll have a Triumph Bonnie with a Ural Cargo hack in the garage by June...

As if I really needed another motorcycle anyway....

Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #4211
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Of course you need another bike. Stop confusing the issue by thinking anything else. I *need* to find another trials bike and I'm not even going to throw a sidecar on it....

Old 04-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #4212
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Trials hacks are most awesome though. You should think about it.

Sent from my DROID 2 using Typotalk

Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #4213
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
A moment of silence for the fallen F800.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #4214
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,774
GRAB!

Elvis Cinema Denver Colorado
2012 FJR1300, 05 R1200GS, 99 ATK490, 1993 Ducati 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #4215
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Damn it!!!! I was just getting ready to head out and get a shot of the intersection of Elvis Rd. and Presley Rd.