Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Great work! Looks like it will work just fine.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #17
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Wire

I'm a little confused....(happens easily)....is this special wire or just regular copper?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
I'm a little confused....(happens easily)....is this special wire or just regular copper?
I put the link to where I got it at the start of this thread. I tried finding a data sheet on it, but Beldin's link is no good. It seems to be copper with a plating of somesort. The insulation is a high temp silicon based and so far I've found nthing that'll stick to it. I got the wire specs here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113134
and figured there was no sence reinventing th wheel. If it worked for them, it'll wok for me.

The wire is very flexable, thin, and seems pretty tough. I'm wiring a set of gloves now, and I have to wrap the end around a homemade croche hook to pull it through. It can stand quite a few wrapping and unwrappings before I starting to break, so hopefully it'll last for several years. I am carefull not to put any sharp bends anywhere, and left a little slack all round to minimize physical stress on the wire.
65 Flathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,394

10K pot linear
rfp50n06
1n4004
100ohm
x16g700 self reseting fuse
2x 105 ceramics

I'll draw it out later and post a schematic

trumpet screwed with this post 10-12-2009 at 12:00 PM
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
This is nice, for some reason I always thought heated jackets have way more complicated technology. How much does it weigh? Have you thought about building it straight into the jacket?

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac
This is nice, for some reason I always thought heated jackets have way more complicated technology. How much does it weigh? Have you thought about building it straight into the jacket?
It weighs hardly anything, the wire only adds ounces to the thin light liner.

You could build it into the jacket, but the Idea is to have the wires as close to you as possable. 80 watts is not enough power to heat the air (convection) it is more of conductive heat, conducting the heat to your skin.

Think of a 75 watt liht bulb. It gets hot, but all the heat is confined to a small area. This system has the heat spread out over about 6 square feet.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #22
BuddingGeezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz
About how many feet of wire did you use? I see BuddingGeezer uses 30'.

Would just wiring it into a Powerlet get too danged hot?
For practical purposes 30awg copper wire has 1 ohm resistance per 10', so 30' have 3 ohms resistance. My '91 Honda ST1100 runs at 15Volts. 15/3= 5 amps. 15V x 5 amps = 75 watts. I originally used this on a BMW K100LT which put out 14V. wich produced 65 watts. I originally sewed the thread into a zip out quilted lining and I noticed the extra heat from the BMW to the Honda. I bought a new winter jacket, so I stripped the wire and sewed it into a Wal Mart Starter brand jacket just like the original poster, but I will wear it turned inside out to provide a little insulation from the wiring. Mine plugs directly to the battery with an inline off/on switch. The wire I used was Radio Shack 30awg copper hook up wire. It is a single strand wire and was $3 for 50'. I no longer can find it a RS. Stranded wire like the original poster used would be better, simply because the multiple wires are more pliable and would tend to not be as breakable when folded. I have only broken a wire 1 time and all you do is connect it back.

Since I no longer have the quilted insulation between me and the wiring the 15 volts may be too hot. If so I'll add more wire to cool it down.

Ralph Sims
BuddingGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Oddometer: 348
nice

Great stuff, can't wait to see your schematic!

What is the total cost Wire/jacket/controller?
I want an early 70's toaster tank, you got one for sale?
bpken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #24
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
We should sticky this thread!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #25
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpken11
Great stuff, can't wait to see your schematic!

What is the total cost Wire/jacket/controller?
So far I have $10.00 in the jacket (Wal Mart), $25.00 in wire (+ $6.95 shipping), about $5.00 for the connectors. Th save myself trouble, I think I'm oing to go with this controller $22.00 plus shipping.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:01 AM   #26
trumpet
Group W Bench

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Flathead
So far I have $10.00 in the jacket (Wal Mart), $25.00 in wire (+ $6.95 shipping), about $5.00 for the connectors. Th save myself trouble, I think I'm oing to go with this controller $22.00 plus shipping.
Ding!! cheap enough to justify not building your own

BTW, this circuit pdf file is buildable for about $20 in parts only handles 7.5A load, but the kits are so inexpensive there is really no reason to DIY other than
to say "I DIY'd it". Unlike the savings on making a heated vest/jacket, IMO.

trumpet screwed with this post 10-13-2009 at 05:07 AM
trumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:55 AM   #27
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,119
hmmmmmmm, what do you guys think about adding heat to removeable aerostich vest sleeves, and, keeping them removeable? I'm thinking a coax at each sleeve to plug in, and, a coax at the main power to plug it all together. Use a splitter at the Aero SAE connector to plug both in, so, there's only one wire going to the bike.

My problem is I'm much better dreaming this stuff up than implementing
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #28
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet
Ding!! cheap enough to justify not building your own

BTW, this circuit pdf file is buildable for about $20 in parts only handles 7.5A load, but the kits are so inexpensive there is really no reason to DIY other than
to say "I DIY'd it". Unlike the savings on making a heated vest/jacket, IMO.
My thoughts Ed Zachery. The only reasion I would consider making my own is to have a dual controller in one box, but it's not worth the itme. I'll just get two of these.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #29
65 Flathead OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
hmmmmmmm, what do you guys think about adding heat to removeable aerostich vest sleeves, and, keeping them removeable? I'm thinking a coax at each sleeve to plug in, and, a coax at the main power to plug it all together. Use a splitter at the Aero SAE connector to plug both in, so, there's only one wire going to the bike.

My problem is I'm much better dreaming this stuff up than implementing
Do you plan on running them off of the same controller? If so, I see 2 potential problems.
1. Current draw on your controller. Most of them can only handle 15 amps max, and
2. Matching the heat ratio between the sleeves and vest. You will be either increasing your Rt (total resistance) if you cut into your exixting circuit and run the sleves in series, which will bring your total wattage down, OR if you put them in paralell with your existing circuit, you'll raise the amps, and total watts.

If you used a seperate controller for the sleeves, and just run a Y cable up to them you'd have no problems.

Hope this answers your question, but I'm not sure I understood correctly.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #30
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Flathead
Do you plan on running them off of the same controller? If so, I see 2 potential problems.
1. Current draw on your controller. Most of them can only handle 15 amps max, and
2. Matching the heat ratio between the sleeves and vest. You will be either increasing your Rt (total resistance) if you cut into your exixting circuit and run the sleves in series, which will bring your total wattage down, OR if you put them in paralell with your existing circuit, you'll raise the amps, and total watts.

If you used a seperate controller for the sleeves, and just run a Y cable up to them you'd have no problems.

Hope this answers your question, but I'm not sure I understood correctly.
Well, clearly I don't really know what I'm doing, but, it seems like running enough wire to heat the sleeves would make it roughly the same draw as a normal heated liner? I use a Heat troller. make sense?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote