Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #1801
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
Good question. The different profile could well mean there's not enough room for the tire's width. Would have to measure to be sure.

ORexpat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #1802
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFox View Post
Not as per their website. 120/80/18 only.
I have had the Distanzia 120/80-18 on my W650 for over a year and it is just fine.

If you check the Avon website you will find the outside diameter is the same as the original tire.

Stock is a 130/80-18 vs the new Distanzia which is a 120/80-18.
The web sites of each tire manufacturer say the diameter is 26.2".
In my case the Avon was a little larger since the oem tire had about 2500 miles on it.

It is a good tire in the gravel or on the pavement but not good in mud. I think Avon calls it a 90/10 dual sport tire

Anyway, it works for me.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #1803
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Oddometer: 235
Vince,
No arguing about the quality of the Distanzia.
It's just that I don't wanna have a narrower tire.
Some have even installed the Dunlop Trailmax in 120, and are very satisfied of it. Yet I would rather go wider (140) if I knew for sure that it fits.

Therefore the Heidenau seems the best bet in 130/80/18, for road and trail. And it looks good too !!!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #1804
rulle_retard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I have pirelli scorpion 140 on the rear, works just fine!
rulle_retard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #1805
tonysmallframe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Trying to sort out what I suspect are carb issues on my new-to-me W650. Picked up one with a little under 9000 miles on it a few weeks ago. It had a real bad stutter/stumble right off idle, making it unrideable (it would stall anywhere north of fast idle)

Drained the gas that was in it, cleaned the tank, put in new plugs/battery, blocked off the air injection system, removed the carbs, cleaned them, put in the Dynajet kit, idle mixture screws at 3 out.

Now, the bike runs fine at idle, and fine over 3000 rpm at most any throttle. Between 1000-3000 rpm, it will break up, backfire, die, or surge, unless I give it full throttle to get to the higher rpm range. It runs better if I ride with the choke halfway out, but not great. My thought is that something in the carb is still blocked/plugged and full throttle brings the accel pump into play, getting me to the ok range. I'm guessing that something in the pilot jet circuit is still F'ed. Any thoughts?

I thought I cleaned everything decently enough, but this is my first CV bike (used to Mikuni flat/D-slides that have much simpler circuits). Any ideas on cleaning or items to replace while I have them apart the second time. Pine-sol soaking or ultrasonic or both at the same time?
tonysmallframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #1806
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysmallframe View Post
Trying to sort out what I suspect are carb issues on my new-to-me W650. Picked up one with a little under 9000 miles on it a few weeks ago. It had a real bad stutter/stumble right off idle, making it unrideable (it would stall anywhere north of fast idle)

Drained the gas that was in it, cleaned the tank, put in new plugs/battery, blocked off the air injection system, removed the carbs, cleaned them, put in the Dynajet kit, idle mixture screws at 3 out.

Now, the bike runs fine at idle, and fine over 3000 rpm at most any throttle. Between 1000-3000 rpm, it will break up, backfire, die, or surge, unless I give it full throttle to get to the higher rpm range. It runs better if I ride with the choke halfway out, but not great. My thought is that something in the carb is still blocked/plugged and full throttle brings the accel pump into play, getting me to the ok range. I'm guessing that something in the pilot jet circuit is still F'ed. Any thoughts?

I thought I cleaned everything decently enough, but this is my first CV bike (used to Mikuni flat/D-slides that have much simpler circuits). Any ideas on cleaning or items to replace while I have them apart the second time. Pine-sol soaking or ultrasonic or both at the same time?
Did you replace the idle jets or just clean. I know they are very difficult to really get clean and some folks just replace them instead. I have taken a strand of copper wire from a scrap of some 16 or 18 gage wire and used that to "floss" through the tiny hole with some decent success.

Also, did you clean the slide up real well? Just off idle, the slide should start moving up to raise the needle and control the mixture from just off idle to 3/4 throttle or so. Maybe its hanging a bit? Did you check for perforations of the diaphragm (that sounded funny)? Any carb cleaner gets on those and they are usually toast.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #1807
tonysmallframe
Adventurer

I didn't replace the jets, just cleaned. May give replacement a shot. The diaphrams looked fine, and the slides moved nicely through the range of travel.

Any ideas on Keihin parts sources? Bikebandit has the Kawasaiki specific parts, but they are big $$ - thinking that unless the carb is W650 only, there should be a cheaper place for gaskets, floats, etc.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #1808
rulle_retard
Adventurer

On wich groove do you have the e-clip on the dynojet needles? And did you change the main jet to the dynojet ones as well?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #1809
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysmallframe View Post
I didn't replace the jets, just cleaned. May give replacement a shot. The diaphrams looked fine, and the slides moved nicely through the range of travel.

Any ideas on Keihin parts sources? Bikebandit has the Kawasaiki specific parts, but they are big $$ - thinking that unless the carb is W650 only, there should be a cheaper place for gaskets, floats, etc.
Have you tried SUDCO?
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #1810
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
How about this place...
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_str...i_650_W650.htm
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #1811
tonysmallframe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulle_retard View Post
On wich groove do you have the e-clip on the dynojet needles? And did you change the main jet to the dynojet ones as well?
2nd from the top - running DJ108 mains.

SUDCO doesn't carry the CVK parts, just CR and the like. Gonna give Jetsrus a try, thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #1812
rulle_retard
Adventurer

Ok, do you have the original exhaust system or an aftermarket? Or have you drilled the baffels on the original?

I think you are running too lean, I had the e-clip on the second groove before and had the same symptoms as you have. Try to put it on the 3rd groove and if you have a more freeflowing exhaust system than original I would definetly put in DJ112 main jets.

Also check all the vacuum hoses, sync the carbs and clean the airfilters if you havent done that.

rulle_retard screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 09:07 AM
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #1813
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 301
Finally got rid of the silly high bars and original tires. Drained out the original fork oil and replaced it with 15 wt. The bike is totally transformed. Much better handling! A few pics after a much needed bath.

[IMG][/IMG]
Burninator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #1814
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Oddometer: 235
Looks like mine the day I got it. Clean, shining chromes, no mods. That didn't last long.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #1815
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
Finally got rid of the silly high bars and original tires. Drained out the original fork oil and replaced it with 15 wt. The bike is totally transformed. Much better handling! A few pics after a much needed bath.

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice looking bike, which tires did you go with?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote