Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #2116
orsurf76
engine braker

Oddometer: 123
Hello, with my new-to-me-W650

(Columbia River Gorge, Yesterday)

Howdy,
I just picked up a very stock, pristine 2001 W650 a few weeks ago with 6000 miles.
And I just now finished reading through all 140 pages of this thread, so I figured I'd introduce myself.

I got the bike on the impetus of taking a road trip with my wife over Labor Day weekend, so here's a few photos from that ride.

Bikes loaded up in front of our house, my W650 and the Ducati Monster 696 my wife rented here in Portland, OR.

This sweet R80 CS parked next to us in Eugene.
Another W650 rider followed me into the coffee shop to talk bikes and offer me some new-W650-rider advice . . . maybe he's on here. He gave me his card if I had any questions come up--I'm sure I still have it . . . somewhere.

Also by this point in my bike ownership, someone had come up and complimented the bike on every ride.

Our B&B for the first night is just to the left of that big tree.

Bikes unloaded.

W fully loaded at Dexter Lake. I'm carrying most of our stuff on my bike, as the Ducati can only manage a little tail bag.

At Odell Lake.

On the way to Antelope.

The missus, central Oregon.

Out of the woods, leaving Mt. Hood, headed home.

This thread has been very informative--I've now got a pretty good idea of what I'll want to mod on the bike to make it even better for me.

--And BravoFox, your bike looks amazing--I've been picturing my tank dark grey, but couldn't imagine covering over the current paint job . . . but if plasti-dip comes off . . .
anyway, yours looks like Steve McQueen could jump it over a fence while being pursued by nazis!

Cheers!
orsurf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #2117
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 927
Nice
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #2118
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by orsurf76 View Post

(Columbia River Gorge, Yesterday)

Howdy,
I just picked up a very stock, pristine 2001 W650 a few weeks ago with 6000 miles.
And I just now finished reading through all 140 pages of this thread, so I figured I'd introduce myself.

I got the bike on the impetus of taking a road trip with my wife over Labor Day weekend, so here's a few photos from that ride.

Bikes loaded up in front of our house, my W650 and the Ducati Monster 696 my wife rented here in Portland, OR.

This sweet R80 CS parked next to us in Eugene.
Another W650 rider followed me into the coffee shop to talk bikes and offer me some new-W650-rider advice . . . maybe he's on here. He gave me his card if I had any questions come up--I'm sure I still have it . . . somewhere.

Also by this point in my bike ownership, someone had come up and complimented the bike on every ride.

Our B&B for the first night is just to the left of that big tree.

Bikes unloaded.

W fully loaded at Dexter Lake. I'm carrying most of our stuff on my bike, as the Ducati can only manage a little tail bag.

At Odell Lake.

On the way to Antelope.

The missus, central Oregon.

Out of the woods, leaving Mt. Hood, headed home.

This thread has been very informative--I've now got a pretty good idea of what I'll want to mod on the bike to make it even better for me.

--And BravoFox, your bike looks amazing--I've been picturing my tank dark grey, but couldn't imagine covering over the current paint job . . . but if plasti-dip comes off . . .
anyway, yours looks like Steve McQueen could jump it over a fence while being pursued by nazis!

Cheers!

Nice photos, and looks like you had a great trip!

I had the old /5 down in Maupin last weekend. Stunning weather after the thunderstorms passed Thursday and Thursday night. Beautiful country; I grew up not that far away.

Not to hijack, but the folks back east should be jealous of where we ride!

Too bad we didn't meet up out there somewhere. It would have been nice to chat with you.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #2119
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 302
Nice pics orsurf76. I've sprayed my tank with plastidip in the past. Worked fine until I spilled a little gas on the tank and it ate right through. On the plus side, the plastidip peeled right off without issue.

Black Plastidip

Plastidip removed
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #2120
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFox View Post
http://postimg.org/image/6kv1xot4n/

Ready for the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride on 29 SEP !
Me 2
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #2121
Duelsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Beautiful morning for a ride today. (P.S. - The setting is a grass sod farm about 30 miles from my house. I wanted to get out there with a 9-iron and a bucket of balls really bad!)

I also turned a mileage milestone this morning.

79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Duelsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #2122
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by orsurf76 View Post
Howdy,
Cheers!
orsurf76 and Ms. orsurf76,
Congrats on the sweet find of a 2001 W with such low miles.
Thanks for taking us on your trip.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #2123
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 697
Bodega Head @ Bodega Bay, CA

GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #2124
chupa88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
USB charging and maybe heated gear?

I can't seem to find the post regarding how to add an electric outlet to the W for charging my phone and maybe heated stuff down the road? Can anyone link to the post or to a tutorial?

Also, what is the length of the shorter clutch cable if I have swapped to lower bars?

Thanks!
chupa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #2125
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

There's already two leads under the seat, one ground, the other hot, that are part of the factory wiring harness. They're intended for electrical accessories. They use spade connectors IIRC. You can likely adapt battery-style connectors to those. Otherwise you can just pull the battery at least part way out and add wires there. Pulling the battery requires moving some wires under the left side panel.

I just re-routed my clutch cable. . . . but it looks that way too!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #2126
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

I love seeing photos of all your bikes on trips, short or long, and being used.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #2127
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by chupa88 View Post
I can't seem to find the post regarding how to add an electric outlet to the W for charging my phone and maybe heated stuff down the road? Can anyone link to the post or to a tutorial?

Also, what is the length of the shorter clutch cable if I have swapped to lower bars?

Thanks!
Easiest way is just to attach any wires directly to the battery terminals, with an inline fuse. I have an SAE plug routed out from the battery to the left front under my seat for my heated clothing and GPS. I made up a wire that plugs into that with a power socket for charging phones.

I'm still using the original clutch cable, throttle cables, and brake line with my lower bar.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #2128
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Oddometer: 235
Thanks guys ...
Yeah it's kinda diverted from stock at some point...
Too bad you can't actually see it AND hear it too !! She's LOUD !!

No worries for PlastiDip.
I actually removed it from the fenders as it was uniformly Gunmetal Gray in its previous incarnation.

I did spill some gas big time... let it dry, not a spot visible afterwards. There has been a little scratch where the low slung mirror touches the tank on tight left turns, I just sprayed it as a touch up.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #2129
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

One more thing on the OEM accessory wires under the seat; if I recall the wiring diagram, those are switched. Anything attached directly to the battery, of course, won't be switched.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #2130
orsurf76
engine braker

Oddometer: 123
So my PO said the OEM wires under the seat were not switched (ORexpat--I assume by this you mean when you turn off the bike, there's no power running through the wires), as he used them for the battery tender.
I would love it if they were switched--I'm imagining it's only a matter of time before I walk away from the bike with the phone still on the charger and drain the battery.

And continuing on the plastidip line, I was thinking of spraying my headlight black (as a reversible mod), but wasn't sure how the plastidip would handle the heat from the bulb. Anyone have an idea about that?
orsurf76 is offline   Reply With Quote