Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #2491
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,519
On another note, a project I want to tackle this year is to figure out why the clutch on my W doesn't engage until the lever is almost fully released from the handlebar. This makes slow riding more challenging than it needs to be. Other W's I've ridden do not exhibit this behavior, with the clutch beginning to engage much closer to the bar as the lever is released.

The clutch free play is correctly adjusted. The bike only has around 15,000 miles so I wouldn't expect the clutch to be worn out, but maybe the previous owner just didn't know how to operate a clutch properly.

Is anyone aware of any way that the clutch engagement point can be adjusted through manipulation of the adjustment at either end of the clutch cable? Something that I'm missing? And if not, does that mean that my clutch is approaching the end of its service life? How many miles are you guys getting out of your clutches?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #2492
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
On another note, a project I want to tackle this year is to figure out why the clutch on my W doesn't engage until the lever is almost fully released from the handlebar. This makes slow riding more challenging than it needs to be. Other W's I've ridden do not exhibit this behavior, with the clutch beginning to engage much closer to the bar as the lever is released.

The clutch free play is correctly adjusted. The bike only has around 15,000 miles so I wouldn't expect the clutch to be worn out, but maybe the previous owner just didn't know how to operate a clutch properly.

Is anyone aware of any way that the clutch engagement point can be adjusted through manipulation of the adjustment at either end of the clutch cable? Something that I'm missing? And if not, does that mean that my clutch is approaching the end of its service life? How many miles are you guys getting out of your clutches?
Same on mine.
45000 k when I got it, 10000 kms later it hasn't changed. Or worsened. A mechanic checked the clutch, it's fine. Couldn't figure out the long release (except that I had a long cable and a short, low handlebar...)
Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #2493
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFox View Post

Same on mine.
45000 k when I got it, 10000 kms later it hasn't changed. Or worsened. A mechanic checked the clutch, it's fine. Couldn't figure out the long release (except that I had a long cable and a short, low handlebar...)
I do have the Euro low bar kit but when I installed it I also installed the shorter clutch cable that came with the kit. The long release was the same before and after the low bar install.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #2494
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,850
Quote:
I see...
Could you circumvent the system by say, register your bike in Florida with a "fake" address, or in a friend's name, then bring it to NJ or whatever state you actually live in and just change the reg ?

Just being curious...
Nope, NJ would catch you.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #2495
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,850
Found this on the net regarding your clutch issue. I'll check my clutch to see where it engages.

"My W650 clutch has engaged near the end of the clutch lever travel for most of its 47000 miles. It has a multi-plate, wet clutch, similar to the Bonneville's. The cable adjustments were correct. No clutch slippage. But I panicked and replaced the clutch pack at 33000 miles, assuming it had to be wearing out. Once removed, I measured the old clutch and friction plate thickness with a micrometer, and found they showed practically no wear. But now, with new plates, it felt really nice, just like new. Take-up was soft, not abrupt. That lasted for about 1000 miles. Then it gradually began engaging just like the clutch I'd replaced.

I think it's the nature of the beast. The new plates feel nice, and have wonderful take-up until they're used a bit, but after several miles, they tend to take up nearer the end of the lever movement.

Now I simply make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly, and don't worry about the clutch engaging near the end of lever travel."
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #2496
BravoFox
Twin With a Kick

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Found this on the net regarding your clutch issue. I'll check my clutch to see where it engages.

"My W650 clutch has engaged near the end of the clutch lever travel for most of its 47000 miles. It has a multi-plate, wet clutch, similar to the Bonneville's. The cable adjustments were correct. No clutch slippage. But I panicked and replaced the clutch pack at 33000 miles, assuming it had to be wearing out. Once removed, I measured the old clutch and friction plate thickness with a micrometer, and found they showed practically no wear. But now, with new plates, it felt really nice, just like new. Take-up was soft, not abrupt. That lasted for about 1000 miles. Then it gradually began engaging just like the clutch I'd replaced.

I think it's the nature of the beast. The new plates feel nice, and have wonderful take-up until they're used a bit, but after several miles, they tend to take up nearer the end of the lever movement.

Now I simply make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly, and don't worry about the clutch engaging near the end of lever travel."
Thre ya go! Good news... Nothing to worry about then !
Old 03-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #2497
Desce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Mine engages late in the release also. Never any problems 25 k .
Desce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #2498
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Thre ya go! Good news... Nothing to worry about then !
That's the easy answer but I'm not sure it's the right one.

I rode another W with around 10K on the clock and the clutch engaged right where you'd want it to. I want mine to be like that!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #2499
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,668
All interesting. I've got enough barrel exposed at the clutch lever to move the friction zone point about anywhere I want. Four finger grip, two finger with gloves, closer to the bar for a daughter with small hands, etc.

Manual says 2-3 mm free play at the lever, and shows the adjustment at the engine end of the cable. If the cable is the right length (in relation to the housing), it seems one should be able to get the right angle on the lower release lever and still be able to dial the handlebar lever to where ever you want it, within reason.

Wonder if the cable is a bit too long compared to the cable housing?

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 AM   #2500
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
All interesting. I've got enough barrel exposed at the clutch lever to move the friction zone point about anywhere I want. Four finger grip, two finger with gloves, closer to the bar for a daughter with small hands, etc.

Manual says 2-3 mm free play at the lever, and shows the adjustment at the engine end of the cable. If the cable is the right length (in relation to the housing), it seems one should be able to get the right angle on the lower release lever and still be able to dial the handlebar lever to where ever you want it, within reason.

Wonder if the cable is a bit too long compared to the cable housing?
Hmm so it sounds like it is possible...

It sounds like I need to play with it a bit. Maybe I'll start on the engine end and try to set it up so that the cable is as short as possible, then make final adjustment on the lever end.

I mean I could certainly as it is now adjust it at the lever so I have way too much freeplay there which would probably have the intended effect but would also keep the clutch from fully disengaging. I'm trying to see if there's a way I can get the engagement point closer to the bar while still maintaining close to proper freeplay at the lever.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #2501
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,347
'01 W650 on Ebay with 860 miles on it. Hasn't hit the reserve yet at $5100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Oth...US_motorcycles

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #2502
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

I'm amazed at how much money people think a Dubya is worth, and how much some folks will pay for them.

Of course, compared with the new 500cc Hondas, it is a nice motorsickle!

Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #2503
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
'01 W650 on Ebay with 860 miles on it. Hasn't hit the reserve yet at $5100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Oth...US_motorcycles
For $5100 it needs to include the damn toolkit. Hell, you can still get the kit as a replacement part from Kawasaki for a measly $82.54 (p/n 56007-1422). How hard is that?

Also those tires are gonna need to be replaced. I don't care how few miles are on it, riding on 13-year-old tires is like asking for death.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #2504
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Whatchawannabet the seller doesn't give a rip about 13 year old hard-as-a-rock tires?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #2505
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Whatchawannabet the seller doesn't give a rip about 13 year old hard-as-a-rock tires?

Original tyres are sh*te anyhow Tyres (tires) are consumables so whats the problem I've fitted K81 (TT100's) to my 650 and they've transformed the bike! No more wanderings and tracking rain grooves, etc.
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote