User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #241
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,631
Tires

I put Metzler Lasertec's on. Seem to work fine.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #242
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
My headlight buzzed also so I took a little electrical tape and wrapped the lip that holds the light at the top of the housing. No more buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk
I love this bike! Now that the weather's been getting a bit warmer I've had it out more. I think a lower bar kit will definitely be on this summer's project list.

Does anybody else's headlight shell buzz/vibrate at a certain rpm? I gotta try and figure that out though nothing is obviously loose.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:40 PM   #243
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider929
My headlight buzzed also so I took a little electrical tape and wrapped the lip that holds the light at the top of the housing. No more buzz.
Thanks for the tip. I figured it would probably be something like that; I'll try and get in there this weekend.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #244
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

I had taken mine apart to do some mods to it, but I miss riding it so much I put it back together before getting much done. I was going to paint it but that can be done any time. I was bobing the rear fender and changing the tail light and signals as well as new pipes. Oh well, I guess if I gather up all the parts needed first it won't take as long to do. I am going to take it to be inspected tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #245
The Jerk OP

BT-45 sizing

Hey guys,
Researching tires a bit and looking at the Bridgestone BT-45. The original rear tire size according to the owner's manual is 130/80-18. Apparently the BT-45 doesn't come in this size (or motorcycle superstore just doesn't carry it). So what are people going with? The 120/80-18 looks like the closest option even though by my calculations it would cut sidewall height by 8mm.

EDIT: Im dumb. I didn't even look at the V-rated version of the tire. They do have the 130/80-18 size in the V-rated version. I certainly don't need V-rated rubber on a W650 but it's only a couple bucks more to get the right size so I'll probably just do that.

The Jerk screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 06:09 AM
Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #246
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

That is what I have on mine. At one time I did use the 120 and it made a big difference in how the bike stood on the side stand. Too straight up. Didn't notice too much of a difference while riding though.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #247
The Jerk OP

Quote:
That is what I have on mine. At one time I did use the 120 and it made a big difference in how the bike stood on the side stand. Too straight up. Didn't notice too much of a difference while riding though.
Oooh that's a good point, I didn't even think about that. I already think it stands too straight when on the sidestand with the stock tires.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #248
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,132
Quote:
Hey guys,
Researching tires a bit and looking at the Bridgestone BT-45. The original rear tire size according to the owner's manual is 130/80-18. Apparently the BT-45 doesn't come in this size (or motorcycle superstore just doesn't carry it). So what are people going with? The 120/80-18 looks like the closest option even though by my calculations it would cut sidewall height by 8mm.

EDIT: Im dumb. I didn't even look at the V-rated version of the tire. They do have the 130/80-18 size in the V-rated version. I certainly don't need V-rated rubber on a W650 but it's only a couple bucks more to get the right size so I'll probably just do that.
I know on car tires the ratings do make a big difference in handling.

The higher the speed rating, generally the stiffer the sidewall, so better handling.

Probably the same for bike tires.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #249
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Oooh that's a good point, I didn't even think about that. I already think it stands too straight when on the sidestand with the stock tires.
I added even more to that when I put a set of Progressive shocks on it. They are about a half inch shorter than stock.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #250
some_finn
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
The original rear tire size according to the owner's manual is 130/80-18. Apparently the BT-45 doesn't come in this size (or motorcycle superstore just doesn't carry it). So what are people going with? The 120/80-18 looks like the closest option even though by my calculations it would cut sidewall height by 8mm.
Many people (like me) use a 120/90 rear. Feels a little nimbler but not unstable. Also the speedo will be less off (people say, haven't checked mine but plan to).
some_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #251
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
I added even more to that when I put a set of Progressive shocks on it. They are about a half inch shorter than stock.
My Progressives are a little higher than stock. Maybe I should switch to the 120s since it now seems to flop over on the sidestand. I need some new tires anyway.

Though mostly I use the center stand, so it is not much of an issue normally.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #252
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
picked up 2000 w650 last week

Love it so far. showed up with 2067 miles on the odo took it for shake down cruise and noticed after a mile or two the speedo quit working. now have ridden the bike for a few days and see the odo works and then not works and then works again. anybody got any suggestions?
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #253
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro22
Love it so far. showed up with 2067 miles on the odo took it for shake down cruise and noticed after a mile or two the speedo quit working. now have ridden the bike for a few days and see the odo works and then not works and then works again. anybody got any suggestions?
kind of a semi-educated guess, but the speedometer and odometer are electronic so the symptoms would suggest a problem with the speed sensor or its wiring. I don't have the service manual with me so I can't point you right to it but it's probably on the transmission somewhere near the output shaft.

Could also be a problem with the gauge itself but I would check out the speed sensor first because it's cheaper/easier and because the fact that both displays quit points to a speed sensor problem as the likely cause.

EDIT: Now that I do have the service manual in front of me, I can confirm that the speed sensor is located on the output shaft near the front sprocket. Might want to pull the sprocket cover and check the sensor and wiring for physical damage. You can electrically test it but seeing as it's a solid state item it would be unlikely to be bad itself (I think). More likely damage to wiring or something.

The other thing would be if the power supply to the speed sensor from the speedometer is faulty. You can test that as well by removing the clocks, connecting pin 5 on the back to +12V and pin 1 on the back to the - terminal of the battery, then use your VOM to test the voltage between pins 6 and 1. If it's less than 8V, you have to replace the clocks. They also make it a point to tell you not to short pins 1 and 6 or 4 and 6.

They also have a more detailed test that can be done with an oscilloscope if you have one.

The Jerk screwed with this post 04-22-2010 at 04:43 PM
Old 04-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #254
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,132
There was a set a set of clocks on Ebay this afternoon, haven't checked to see if they're still there.

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #255
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
thanks

Thanks for the circuitry insight Mr The Jerk
I relized after a quick look that this bike wasn't so old school that it would have a mechanical speedo/odo off the front hub, and I have yet to order a service manual. I'll check the speed sensor thing ASAP.
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote