Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #3091
snake89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I so wish it wasnt so damn hard to post pics !
Old 08-22-2014, 11:16 PM   #3092
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 693
Huh? Just put them on tinypic.com
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #3093
GoonieLaw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Okay, so I've owned my 2000 W650 for almost three years now and I've had a love affair ever since I laid eyes on her. However, I've constantly dealt with carburetor issues the whole time. The bike would never run right. I experienced surging, dying constantly when pulling out...I'd have to give it a lot of gas to keep from stalling, very very cold natured, and just an overall PITA I still loved the bike though, and nothing could cause a bigger smile than riding the back country roads here in Middle Tennessee.

Well, finally I took my bike to a carb expert. The guy has been working on bikes longer than I've been alive, plus the guy is like a mechanical engineer. Needless to say he promptly told me that the carbs for the W650 were woefully under-engineered. He worked his magic and now my W650 and the two W's my father-in-law owns run like dream bikes...better than new

If I'm following what he said he had to do: he shimmed the needle, synced the carbs, and said he drilled the holes in the bottom of the carbs to be bigger. He explained something about gas flow in/out of the carbs...but I'm too simple for all that. He said he did something else, I know it wasn't rejetting them, but anywho...I'm in love twice over now!!! The bike runs the way it always should've run.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #3094
chupa88
Adventurer

Is he still around? If so, post his info. I bet a bunch of folks here would be interested.

Sent using Tapatalk
chupa88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #3095
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonieLaw View Post
Okay, so I've owned my 2000 W650 for almost three years now and I've had a love affair ever since I laid eyes on her. However, I've constantly dealt with carburetor issues the whole time. The bike would never run right. I experienced surging, dying constantly when pulling out...I'd have to give it a lot of gas to keep from stalling, very very cold natured, and just an overall PITA I still loved the bike though, and nothing could cause a bigger smile than riding the back country roads here in Middle Tennessee.

Well, finally I took my bike to a carb expert. The guy has been working on bikes longer than I've been alive, plus the guy is like a mechanical engineer. Needless to say he promptly told me that the carbs for the W650 were woefully under-engineered. He worked his magic and now my W650 and the two W's my father-in-law owns run like dream bikes...better than new

If I'm following what he said he had to do: he shimmed the needle, synced the carbs, and said he drilled the holes in the bottom of the carbs to be bigger. He explained something about gas flow in/out of the carbs...but I'm too simple for all that. He said he did something else, I know it wasn't rejetting them, but anywho...I'm in love twice over now!!! The bike runs the way it always should've run.
It's not that the carbs are under-engineered. They are in fact Keihin carbs. Keihin is a respected Japanese fuel system supplier that puts out all kinds of top-notch carbs and fuel injection systems for a whole bunch of motorcycles out there like the carbs for our Kawis and the fuel injection for my Triumph.

What the carbs are, though, is set way lean from the factory to meet emissions requirements. This leads to the big being very cold-natured, taking forever to warm up on the choke, certain driveability issues, etc.

Sounds like your guy did the common mods that we tend to do to ours. Shimming the needles allows for a bit more fuel flow at the higher engine speeds and loads without re-jetting.

As for drilling out the holes at the bottoms of the carbs, presumably he drilled out the caps that were installed at the factory blocking access to the pilot mixture adjustment screws. Once the caps are drilled out, you can adjust the pilot mixture with a screwdriver to a certain extent. And this is the adjustment that will net you the most benefit in terms of the symptoms you were seeing: cold-bloodedness, hesitation, stalling, etc.

The pilot circuit is the part of the carb that supplies the fuel/air mixture for idling, low engine speeds, and a lot of the steady-state cruising operation where you were seeing lean symptoms.

Adjusting out the pilot screws a bit can solve a lot of the ills if you still have the stock exhaust. Sounds like that's what he did.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #3096
DaBinChe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoonieLaw View Post

Sounds to me like he just tuned the carb to run properly instead of the lean stock setting to pass emissions. It is pretty easy but time costuming and takes some experience and the right tools. I tuned my carbs and it is very smooth..sometimes I forget that I'm on a 675cc parallel twin it so smooth.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #3097
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 693
sounds like he killed your bikes personality quirks and made it boring.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:00 PM   #3098
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 927
I got a "Sigma-6" Kit - upped the pilots & main jets a bit - didn't need to shim the needles (or drill the slides), totally transformed her, no more hesitation or 1/4 hour warming up - all standard pipes & air filter

All you need is a couple of larger mains + pilots
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #3099
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,586
I shimmed the needles, very easy, first time I dared to work on a carb. Also drilled out the covers over the screws and adjusted them 3 1/2 turns out.

I did them both at the same time, so I can't say if only one or both caused the transformation, but the difference was amazing.

It went from a bike that would barely stay lite from cold on a freezing winter day, to a smooth running non hiccuping bike.

My skills are minimum, so I'll use the oft repeated, "If I can do it, anyone can do it".

Unfortunately, the "Capt. Jake" site that had a step by step picture tutorial for shimming the needles, that I relied on, is not longer up. But here is the one for the adj. screws: http://www.captainjakes.com/w650/fue...elscrews.shtml

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #3100
The Jerk OP

So I pulled off the vacuum hoses from the carbs the other day in order to connect my carb sync tool and I noticed that both vacuum nipples were damp with some sort of liquid.

I didn't really think anything of it at the time but for some reason I was just thinking about it and had a "wait a minute..." moment.

Those shouldn't be damp at all, unless...some fuel is getting past the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock.

Oil vapor from the crankcase breather wouldn't be making its way to the outside of the vacuum nipples. So what else could it be? What am I missing?
Old 08-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #3101
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,586
Anything to do with your blocking stuff with marbles? Condensation?

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #3102
snake89
Adventurer

My W was the leanest motorcycle ive ever owned until i did a jet kit and Capt Jakes airbox mod.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #3103
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
So I pulled off the vacuum hoses from the carbs the other day in order to connect my carb sync tool and I noticed that both vacuum nipples were damp with some sort of liquid.

I didn't really think anything of it at the time but for some reason I was just thinking about it and had a "wait a minute..." moment.

Those shouldn't be damp at all, unless...some fuel is getting past the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock.

Oil vapor from the crankcase breather wouldn't be making its way to the outside of the vacuum nipples. So what else could it be? What am I missing?
What did the liquid smell like?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #3104
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Anything to do with your blocking stuff with marbles? Condensation?
Nah, that stuff has long been properly removed. The only thing connected to the vaccum nipples now is the hose from each to a T-connector which goes straight to the petcock.

No obvious sources of condensation.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #3105
The Jerk OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
What did the liquid smell like?
Yes that's the obvious question but of course I wasn't thinking at the time so I didn't bother to check! I will do so next time I get a moment to work on the bike.