User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #331
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,767
Nice W Ride with no W photos

Just put Race Tech guts in the W650 and had to take it for a little ride in Northern Virginia. I66 to 55 to Marshall, south and west to to Hume, then Front Royal, Fort Valley, over the 5-mph-hairpin route toLuray--211 over the top (yee-haw!!! And they didn't even catch me speeding while embarrassing a couple of Harley's). Lunch at the Griffin Tavern in Flint Hill (super place for lunch, but not cheap), and a round-about route to Carter's Run Road. Didn't take any Dubya pics, but did shoot a few of the countryside. The Dubya rode like a champ. Oodles of power for cruising the country side, and the handling is 400% better. (This short RR was first posted in the "Catherders" thread in the SE regional forum).

Roadside just east of Hume.

Road through Marriott Ranch, west of Hume.

Passage Creek, north end of Ft. Valley near Elizabeth Furnace.

Flowers near Passage Creek, just for Mike!

Butterflies near upper Passage Creek, off the dirt road that leads south to 211, and not that far from the Cox's.

On the back way to Flint Hill, just north of Washington, VA.

Stopped to pee on Carter's Run Road, and found this left-over from what must be a previous Cat Herder campout. One of you folks didn't finish their dinner!

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:22 AM   #332
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,233
Question for the more adventuresome W650 riders. How's it on gravel and forest roads?

I'm looking for a good commuter that's also fun for exploring back roads and forest roads on weekends. Nothing too hardcore...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #333
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Question for the more adventuresome W650 riders. How's it on gravel and forest roads?

I'm looking for a good commuter that's also fun for exploring back roads and forest roads on weekends. Nothing too hardcore...
My little trot in the post above included 4-5 miles of good gravel road. I was quite surprised and pleased--the W felt extremely stable and controllable at reasonable speeds--say 30-45 mph on good gravel roads. I didn't get into any ruts or deep gravel, but my impression was extremely positive. Solid, planted, no front end wiggle.

Of course, with street tires traction in wet conditions would be bad, and with low pipes and no skid plate--and about 5 or 5 inches of suspension travel--I wouldn't get too adventurous. Probably no MX jumps . . . .

But it ain't no Harley--much better than that. Don't stop just because the pavement does. It will take you down just about any decent road you want to travel--freeway, backroads, potholes, gravel. You can stand on the pegs, even with the lower bars. You can get a foot down if you need to. Might be one of the best UJM's ever built.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #334
twinrider
pass the catnip

Thanks for that info, just what I wanted to hear!

Actually my Road King is (and my Softail was) also surprisingly good on gravel and dirt, ground clearance aside
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #335
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Recently took the dub out for a short ride (~75miles) half of which I purposely did on dirt roads. Some were fairly washed out with a number of good sized gullies. No real sand, mostly on the gravelly side. Worked fine, I just took my time and picked lines around the biggest holes and gullies.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #336
twinrider
pass the catnip

Anyone happen to know the W650's alternator output?
2006 Djebel 250XC
Old 06-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #337
mikec101
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finstock
Nice W - quick question if you've the time. I'm in the market for a new pair of riding pants, and like the look of yours. Are those the BMW city pants, or some other make?

Thanks for any info.
I'm not The Jerk (I can be kind of A jerk though), but yeah, those are definitely the BMW city pants.

Have a pair myself and they're really good - great armour in them, and they held up great in a fairly hard impact / slide I had - can barely notice some scuffing on the knee that hit first.
mikec101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #338
twinrider
pass the catnip

Pulled the trigger this morning
2000 model, sold just before Japan tightened up its emissions/noise regs. First mod will be a rear rack, and then will likely add the lower handlebars that everyone raves about.

2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 06-14-2010 at 04:02 AM
Old 06-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #339
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
Pulled the trigger this morning

Early 2002 model, sold just before Japan tightened up its emissions/noise regs and forced the Big Four to make them whisper quiet and put catalyzers on them. First mod will be a rear rack, and then will likely add the lower handlebars that everyone raves about.

Nice bike! Those colors never came to the US, nor did an '02 model, so where are you located?

I see non stock turn signals removed from the rear fender, which is a good thing, as the rear fender is pretty weak and you want to remove as much weight as possible. They have a tendency to crack on both sides.

If you can remove the tail light bracket that would also help.

Also looks like the early seat, non ribbed, but I guess they did different things in different markets. Non stock head light brackets also, but nice.

Enjoy!

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #340
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
need electrical help...new turn signals

Ok so I bought some way too cool LED turn signals (see the link)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BULLE...Q5fAccessories
got them in the mail yesterday and started the install today. Got the rears installed ok just had to remove the passenger handles so they would fit.
Everything was correct they blinked when instructed. So I move to the front of the bike. this is where I run into trouble. The lights get their ground from the frame so I had to rig a ground wire...no problem. BUT there is a problem with the operation, when the signal is activated all 4 blinkers blink. I'm sure it's got something to do with the fact that the OEM front signals also serve as running lights and the LED's don't.
I've got a Blu/red wire unused from each of the original blinkers.
Do I need to do something to the relay or what? any suggestions much appreciated
thanks in advance
ro22
2000 Kaw w650
2005 BMW gs1200
2007 vespa gts250
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #341
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Question more information on electrical issue

so the front turn signals (OEM) have 3 wires each 1- gry, 1-blu, 1 blk/yl. the gry wire connects to grn (left) or gry(right). the blu wire connects to the blu/rd (running light) and the blk/yl is ground. I don't know what to do about the blu/rd wire but I feel like that is the root of my problem. The new LEDs have only one wire and get gnd from the frame. I have a wiring diagram but it may as well be greek or egyptian or korean cause I can't figure it.
sure hope someone will read this and reply with a fix.
I'm desperate!
Clint Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #342
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Wish I could help, but I'm no electrician either. Your LED bulbs are probably not set up to be running lights too. The OEM bulbs have two filaments in them, I believe. That's why you have an extra wire. The one that powers the "running lights" will be on anytime the headlight is on--i.e. anytime the bike is powered up (except when the starter is energized).

The other issue is that LED bulbs use less power (or is it less resistance? Darned if I know . . . ) than the OEMs. At the very least you may have to change the turn signal relay. I tried to put LED's on a Honda XR 250L and found the signals wouldn't blink when the turn signal switch was activated. My easy solution--put the OEM bulbs back on. The turn signals have now been working for years!

You might get in touch the the Yahoo W650 users group. "Captain Jake" or some of the other inmates over there are pretty knowledgeable. Many of them have completely customized their bikes and know them cold. This is the address for e-mails. W650riders@yahoo.com.

This is the group home page. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/W650riders/

Old 06-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #343
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66
Nice bike! Those colors never came to the US, nor did an '02 model, so where are you located?

I see non stock turn signals removed from the rear fender, which is a good thing, as the rear fender is pretty weak and you want to remove as much weight as possible. They have a tendency to crack on both sides.

If you can remove the tail light bracket that would also help.

Also looks like the early seat, non ribbed, but I guess they did different things in different markets. Non stock head light brackets also, but nice.

Enjoy!
I'm in Japan. I misposted above, it's actually a 2000. On the Japan-market W650s the turn signals are mounted under the seat where you see them on my bike. Seats went ribbed from 2001. Still deciding what if anything to do about the tail light. First priority is a Five Star rack, which I just ordered today Might keep the high bars, kind of like the leverage they give and I'll be doing more low speed super twisty stuff than high speed runs.
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 06-16-2010 at 07:54 PM
Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #344
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
I'm in Japan. I misposted above, it's actually a 2000. On the Japan-market W650s the turn signals are mounted under the seat where you see them on my bike. Seats went ribbed from 2001. Still deciding what if anything to do about the rear turn signal. First priority is a Five Star rack, which I just ordered today Might keep the high bars, kind of like the leverage they give and I'll be doing more low speed super twisty stuff than high speed runs.
That turn signal location is where I put mine. The US requires front and rear reflectors, guess other markets don't. So I removed the rear reflector brackets and it provided a perfect place for the turn signals. I guess that's where the factory put them too. Yours don't look like the stock ones in the US, are they aftermarket?

I like the headlight brackets, any idea what brand they are, or where they were obtained?

Speedo66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #345
twinrider
pass the catnip

The headlight brackets are aftermarket, selling for about $100. Check this link
http://zerocustom.jp/pd/8482889/

I was actually thinking of swapping back to the stock setup for that blacked out look.

Here's a vid of the bike idling with its Daiwa stainless exhaust system

2006 Djebel 250XC