Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,636
Dubya for sale, DFW area

Just saw this on the W650 Yahoo Group

For sale! 2000 w650 blue tank, 26k miles - DFW area

Posted by: "sarahdcox" sarah.cox@gmail.com sarahdcox

Fri Nov 4, 2011 12:24 pm (PDT)

Hey everyone!

I'm sending out a post here to gauge if there is any interest here in my w650. I love this bike but am moving soon to a non-motorcycle friendly area (NYC). It's time to give her a new home!

She's a 2000 w650, approx 26k miles. It's stock, but has the new longer oil filter cover and a superbrace added. In good condition, though there is a small dime sized ding in the tank. Runs like a dream and is so much fun to ride. Good tires, in good overall shape.

Right now, she's in my garage, and the battery is dead and not charging. Has been sitting with fuel stabalizer in the tank for a couple of months while I've tried to get the battery sorted out. I have a new battery from AutoZone, but some numbnuts stripped the screw on the side cover. Being a not terribly handy girl I don't know exactly how to get it out. I glared at it for 10 good minutes but that did not change matters.

Anyhow -- as is, with the battery not installed (probably can kick it over but I'm too little) I was thinking of asking $2500, which is a darn good deal, IMHO. If I go through the process of getting it to a shop and getting the screw fixed (and oil change/brakes flushed for good measure), I'll probably up the asking to 3200 or so, depending on if I have to list it etc. A little low but I want it to sell quick, and there is that little ding.

Any interest? I'll sure be sad to tell her goodbye. If it's being bought as a bike for a new rider, I would be happy to throw in my helmet and jacket. Helmet is a very nice Icon full face. Jacket not a bad textile brand either, but I forget the manufacturer.

Anyhow, hope those in the temperate areas are still out enjoying their rides!

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #752
MattSR500
MattSR500

Oddometer: 41
I was reading this thread before my purchase, though I haven't yet finished it. But, I bought one Friday last. It's a 2005, 23,000km W650. I took it for a decent ride last Sunday and absolutely love it! I've written a review here http://contemplativemotorcycling.blo...50-review.html

Old 11-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #753
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,214
Matt, I think your review nailed it. Probably the most on target review I've read yet. Yes, there's a sweet spot in the upper RPM range where the bike smooths out, about 75-80 MPH. Just feels right, not tiring. Feels smooth enough to ride forever.

In the States we're kind of suspended in time, only for sale here for two years, '00 and '01. Nice to see other tank colors and patterns we never got.

Nice looking bike, much luck with it.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #754
MattSR500
MattSR500

Thanks mate.

We had the same years of new imports as you guys, I think, but in the last couple of years here an industry of importing late-model immaculate used bikes from Japan has blossomed. (As well as an industry importing clean vintage bikes from America. Sorry about that! .) That indsutry has co-incided with the increasingly national move to a new learner license scheme - learners and (the next level) probationary motorcycle license holders can now ride bikes up to 660cc, within a power-to-weight ratio. Before that everybody in my state was limited to 250cc for their first few years of riding. These two changes mean we're seeing lots of grey import SR500 / 400s, W650s, and many others (see for instance http://www.internationalmotorcycleimporters.com.au/) My bike's one of these grey imports. I bought it from the country's largest bike dealer so hopefully spares will be no issue.

Even so, we're still paying twice as much as you guys for our bikes (The grey import business works precisely because we already pay so much for our bikes!)
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #755
Speedo66
Transient

A quick look at that site showed a W650 with an asking price of AU $8000. Since the AU dollar is roughly the same value as a US one, you're absolutely correct. That's about twice what you'd expect to pay here.

I guess that's your penance for taking the vintage bikes.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #756
feliz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hi - another one here!!

Recently purchased this low mileage 01, paid way more than it's worth but that's what I get for not purchasing one back in 00/01 when they were sold here at wholesale prices to move them off the showroom floors. I lusted after one then and have ever since in spite of buying a new 03 Bonneville that I kept for a few years. Apparently there were 300 sold in Canada, I believe it as the largest Kawasaki dealer in Canada tell me the might have sold six in the two years they were on sale here. The only picture I have is with my 75 XS650 so here they are.

feliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #757
Speedo66
Transient

That Yamaha is beautiful, always wondered what they were like.

How about a mini comparison test?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #758
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Just added this gadget to my W650.

No test yet.
Saw 80C which equals 176F after a long run here in Florida. Maybe 75-80 F outside.
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #759
MattSR500
MattSR500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
How about a mini comparison test?
I second that.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #760
The Jerk OP
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Saw 80C which equals 176F after a long run here in Florida. Maybe 75-80 F outside.
Sounds nice and low (although that particular location on the engine is not an area where hot oil would congregate. Perhaps an artificially low reading?). Guess the engine cools pretty well despite not having an oil cooler. I wonder how well it cools when idling on hot days (like stuck in traffic) when there's no air flow over the engine.

After years of owning air-cooled VWs, some of which I had installed oil temp gauges on, nowadays I think it's probably better for one's sanity not to have this information and associated paranoia. Just ride the thing and don't worry about it.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #761
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
When I was stuck in traffic the temp was 70C, then when I started moving and the engine was turning more rpm the temp went up to 80C. My theory is the oil starting getting thrown up in the area where the sensor is located.

I had one of those dip stick thermometer on a air cooled dirt bike and the oil temp was fine idling but shot up on a long uphill climb when the engine was working hard.

Anyway, I not worried but am just fooling around. The synthetic Rotella that I am using should be good for 400F.

Barnone screwed with this post 11-11-2011 at 11:36 AM
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #762
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding

Oddometer: 210
I stuck one of those self adhesive temp indicators on mine next to the sight glass and it normally shows 85 deg C, 90 on a hot day when its about 30-35 deg C outside.
If the weather is hotter than that I prefer to drive the car as it has air con.

I think the only worry about engine oil is not changing it and the filter regularly.
Personally I change the filter every oil change, a form of cheap insurance against engine wear.

WikdBeemer screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 11:10 PM Reason: added more info
WikdBeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #763
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,107
found a nice one

RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #764
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,636
Sweet!

I really like the dirt tracker look. The higher bars would be better for my ancient back . . . the small tank looks good if a little impractical. Painted rocker cover looks good. And a small front fender for riding in the rain. . . . .

How's it run with the pancake filters?

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #765
Speedo66
Transient

Don't know if it's just the camera angle, but that front wheel looks small, like almost supermoto small.