Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #871
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
That's the Dunlop Roadmaster K81 TT100 GP. It isn't the standard K81, but the classic road racer version of the tyre. Very sticky for an 'old school' tyre and handles very well. I bought the W800 new last week and have put around 2500km on it so far and there is no discernible wear yet but other W800 owners have commented that the rears don't last all that long (~5-6000km) due to the sticky rubber. 32F/34R max in any of those old style tyres, by the way. I'll probably put K70s on my W800 soon as I do a lot of gravel riding and the TT100 gets a bit slippery.
Wait, did you say 2500km in a week? I guess you're happy with the 800.

Thanks for pointing out the difference between the two Dunlops. I will probably go with the K70s as well.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 AM   #872
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
Wait, did you say 2500km in a week? I guess you're happy with the 800.
9 days to 2500km. I do around 200km a day on average, more on some, as I live right at the foot of some very nice roads. The K70 is a great tyre, but it doesn't handle as well as the K81 if you like to lean the bike hard. I've run the K81s to the edge without any problems - or hitting the stand or peg feelers. Experimenting with tyre pressures will give a very good, safe ride on the K70s though. I tend to run K70s at around 28F/30R and that works fine for my 75-80kg, 30-32F/32-34R on the K81s.

Yes, the 800 is very nice, lots of torque and a decent spread in the gearbox, but I gather from people who have ridden the 650 as well (I haven't) that the 800 is not as 'sporty'. It only puts out 48hp, but it does have significantly more torque than the 650. It reminds me of a single carb BSA 650 Thunderbolt or the Royal Enfield single carb 750 (Continental? Can't remember now) whereas I hear the 650 is more akin to a twin carb Lightning or Bonneville. It does rev out to 7000rpm quickly, but the power comes on low and it doesn't have that same frantic feel that a twin carb BSA has. So far it has been averaging around 68mpg Imperial/58mpg US/24km/L, generally going onto the 'Fuel' warning flash at 270km and taking 10 and a bit litres to fill. I think the 650 is a better looking bike - the 800 has too much flashy chrome and it lacks the classic black barrels.

Suspension is pretty dire, but I'm working on that, handling is as good as (and very similar to) an old Lightning, and the brakes, lights and general 'feel' are much better. I used to ride Brit bikes way back when and it does replicate the experience very well, from the physical size of the bike, how the frame reacts in the twisties and the way the engine feels when the throttle is rolled open - even the vibes are similar to a well tuned single carb twin. The only major difference is that the footrests are about 2-3" further back and closer to the frame than is normal on a Brit twin.

I rode BMW airheads for over 30 years and generally also had a Japanese I4 of some sort as well - B1250S Bandit currently - and the 800 has been a real thrill; it replaced a very nice 650 Strom and takes me right back to what biking used to be like, no fairing, cruising at 50mph on backroads, with the nice beat of a big Brit twin being run through the gears in the bends and up the hills. (The mufflers have been 'tweaked'.) I'll put up some pics tomorrow - it is pretty dirty, but there haven't been many pics of them on ADV apart from the motor show ones.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #873
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
Scrivens,
Nice write up on your impressions of the W800.
I've had three W650s now and am happy as a clam with my current 2001.
Such a joy to ride.
Luckily I found a very nice one about six months ago with only 2025 miles.
She now has 5k miles on her.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #874
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's one from the W800 this morning:

(The camera was mounted on an elastic strap on my left arm. Oh, and we ride on the left here...)

Scrivens screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:22 AM
Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #875
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

And a few more from the garage:

The instruments:

The engine:

A close up of the paint shading decal - it's hatched, not 'airbrushed'. Looks a bit tacky up close.

Left side of the bike:

Apologies for the poor quality; I'll take some better ones of the full left/right side.

Scrivens screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:26 AM Reason: Image address updating after Skitch went offline
Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #876
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,569
Sweet! Nice bike, for sure.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #877
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Went out today for the NOVA tag. Beautiful day in the Virginia Piedmont.

Dubya ran like a charm. Some slab, some back roads, some gravel. Cool in the morning; was able to run both electric jacket and gloves--though never had to turn either one up too far. Low 40's when I left, low 60's when I got back. Wonderful day for a ride.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #878
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

ORexpat,
Beautiful scenery in VA.
Makes me want to head up to our cabin in the mountains of WNC.
Like that Corbin seat.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #879
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I wish Kawasaki would bring them into the USA. Finding a nice W650 here is getting harder as time goes by.
There weren't many of the 650s here originally but quite a few have been imported from Japan over the last couple of years and you can get very low mileage 2007 models - but for a price. The 800 is around $A11,000 OTD and a good 650 of any year is still around the $8000 mark.

Here a few pics from today. Very sunny, so it is hard to get decent contrast in the photos.

Scrivens screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:28 AM
Old 03-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #880
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Scrivens,
Nice photos. This has probably been discussed but why the ventilated (?) cover on the front sprocket area?
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #881
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
This has probably been discussed but why the ventilated (?) cover on the front sprocket area?
According to Kawasaki it is to reduce mechanical noise and improve the looks. Struck me as a bit odd, as I don't know how putting holes in anything could reduce noise.

Here's the official 5 page brochure of the bike, and it's worth a look:

W800 Features (It downloads - 2mb - rather than display in the browser.)

There have been a couple of minor tweaks from the 2011 model, mainly with the electronics I gather. The FI light on the old model sometimes won't go out when the bike is turned on and cycles the gauges etc and there may have been something done with the O2 sensor. The tacho is redlined at 7500 now instead of 7000 like mine. Replacing the dreadful rear shocks would have been a worthwhile improvement. I weigh about 75kg and it is on the highest preload settings and still bottoms out. I'll put a pair of YSS or IKON shocks on it in a week or two.

I put the Hepco & Becker racks and bags on the other day - will put some pics up tomorrow. Very well made - and they'd need to be for the near $1300 price here - but the rack is not pretty, fairly heavy and the indicators had to have about 6" of extra wiring and a couple of holes bored in the taillight body to get mounted properly. The topcase is on backorder, so no idea when that will arrive. Rode about 80km home last night in torrential rain which was fun; my clothes are still drying out, but the bags didn't leak. The rain was heavy enough to flood the roads in many places, so I guess the bags are pretty watertight.

Scrivens screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 08:03 AM
Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #882
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Scrivens,
Thanks for the W800 brochure.
I got wet the other night on the ride home from a bike night in town.
It's been dry as a bone here in Southwest Florida so we need the rain.
Yep, that rack and bags are kinds dear. I'm debating whether or not to get the LeatherLyke hard bags. Kinda hate to give up my top box.

The LeatherLyke bags have been discussed in this thread.
https://leatherlyke.com/products/cat...addlebags-w650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #883
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,897
Just got this months issue of 'Cycle World' and the chief editor was lamenting, in fact he said it was "crazy", that Kawasaki won't be bringing the W800 to the US.

The editor, Mark Hoyer, in his column talked about how when he first tested the W650 he thought it out vintaged the new Bonneville.

He referred to the W800 as a "rolling slice of cool".

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #884
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Righto, pics of the Hepco & Becker rack 40L topbox and 30L Junior bags. The rack unit and bags are the same model for both the 650 and 800.

Excuse the number of pics, but I figure some close-ups of the brackets might help anyone else who has to assemble the rack. Fitting would take about an hour all up including adding the extra wiring and so on and it would be quite simple if there were any useful photos in the German language "instructions". It's hard to get contrast in the pics as there is so much shiny stuff on the bike - albeit covered in mud at present.

The bags are exactly as wide as the tips of the mirrors - 31" - so they don't affect lane filtering etc, and my guess is the entire kit weighs around 12kg/27lbs. I bought the 30L rather than the 40L Juniors as they are about 4" narrower and I preferred less width to carrying capacity. The bags taper back slightly from the front. Another benefit is the pillion can use the handles on the bags or the grab rail on the rack instead of the small under seat grab rails. Against that is the reduced foot room for the pillion; I have size 11 feet and can only get my boot on the pillion rest as far as the heel cutout.

This is one point I'm not happy about. There is no hinge on these, just the join in the plastic along the bottom edge of the lid. I imagine this will wear out sooner or later and need proper hinges fitted. As you can see from the bike, I've been riding for some hours in *very* heavy rain and the bags have been completely watertight.

The tabs for the top rack fit inside the main bag rack mounts and there are 2 plates supplied which fit in the slots where the indicators are fitted for some countries. (Ours are mounted on the rear light. In this pic the mounting bracket is upside down - see the last pic for the proper mounting to clear the locks.)

Note the holes bored just above the reflector and the nylon bushings to protect the extended indicator wiring. (You have to add about 6" to the wiring yourself and the 800 uses modular connectors not the old bullet-heads.) You can see the new indicator bracket 'loop' below the reflector - that's correct the way the thing fits in there.

(And one thing I should add - the clips for the cases come with the cases, not the rack, and the rack mounting locks on the cases come locked - you need to unlock them first or the clasp will not reach the clip on the rack. Sounds obvious, but trust me, they don't look locked...)

Scrivens screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:31 AM
Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #885
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Very useful and interesting indeed--thanks for posting!