User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #901
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,627
Good gouge--thanks!

You probably saw my post earlier; I also found dry swingarm bearings when I pulled my swingarm off. I just greased and re-installed them though. I thought about installing a grease nipple, but I didn't because the spacer covers one, but not both, of the needle bearings. I suppose I could have drilled out the spacer so grease could get underneath that too, but just didn't bother . . . Pulling the swingarm wasn't a difficult job.

I also agree with the additional pre-load on the stock fork springs. I think that would help both handling and minimizing front end dive. I have the opposite problem with RaceTech springs--I've shortened the spacers, reducing pre-load. RT sent very stiff springs; I may change to Progressives . . .

Some of the front end stiffness may be the 15 weight fork oil that was recommended. I've dialed back the compression dampening (love the RT emulators), and could put in 5 or 10 weight oil to reduce the dampening more. Of course, as the weather warms up, the heavier oil seems more appropriate.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #902
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
So just a few 1/8" thick large washers (2?) helped the front end dive?
This link suggests adding about a 1/2" or so.
No luck with that link - page not found. I think you'd have problems compressing the fork cap down enough to get a starting bite on the threads with 1/2" on the single rate springs in the 800. Progressives have a bit more initial slack than single rates and it would probably do it. I've got a pair of washers in each side (exactly the same diameter as the spacer, hair over 1/8" together and equal to 1 "ring" on a Suzuki preload adjuster) and tonight I've removed them from the top of the spacer/cap and put them on top of the springs under the spacer. The hole in the washers is around 1/2" and I'm curious to see whether the smaller hole (rather than the open springs/spacer) gives a bit of extra compression damping effect. I had a look at the innards of the forks that Walter was working on and the oil holes in the damper rod are quite large. The 800 has 15W oil from the factory, by the way. The forks are OK for me but I don't weigh much and I'm an old school engine-braker so I don't use the brakes hard all that often and fork dive isn't a problem.

One minor thing - with the bags on the balance on the centre-stand is such that the bike will rest on either wheel which is handy.
Scrivens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #903
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
I received my LeatherLyke hard bags today. They were easy to install and I moved my rain gear,etc to one and that freed up space in the top box.
They seem like nice cases and certainty increase my carrying capacity.

I had to raise the front of the top box mount with two 3/8" nylon spacers to clear LeatherLyke tops on opening.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB

Barnone screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 07:13 AM
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #904
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice. They look to be about the same size as my Hepcos, which is a good size for the bike. I prefer top openers and it is a pity there are so few made these days. I even thought of repairing an old set of Cravens and using them
Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #905
pumps
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Recently I purchased a 2000 W with 3700 miles on it and the rear fender was already starting to crease. Many thanks to
The Jerk and to ORexpat for the picture tutorials that made it much easier for me to complete the rear fender bracing/ relocation of the rear signals. Also thanks to the W650 Riders group on yahoo. Some I did different than ORexpat was instead of paint, after cleaning it well (no rust on my 3700 miler) was I used black 3M spray on undercoating instead of paint.
Also I think I should say that installing the signals and the new grounds I put on the grab bar bolts on the inside are to be done BEFORE installing the fender. I had to take mine back off ! At least I got good at it. When I split the harness to separate out the signal wires and the grounds I accidentally cut the right (gray) signal wire and the red light to the tail light. And I tried to be sooo careful. Oh well , easily spliced to repair. I clipped the black/yellow striped grounds for the signals from where they were crimped to the solid black ground wire and just soldered /heat shinked some eyelet connectors to the ends to go under the grab bar bolts. When I tried to install them is when I figured out the fender would have to come off again. Some 1/2" to 1/4" heat shrink tubing was used to replace the factory wiring cover that went under the fender and now it is all good. I think the fender will have to come off again as I got a luggage rack.......
pumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #906
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
Don't know of a better place to ask than here, so here goes....

Anybody have a rear rack for a W650 they wish to sell? Need something to mount a top box on.

Please PM me if you do, thanks.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #907
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
W650 for sale in NJ with 12,500 miles, not mine.

"2000 Kawasaki W650 EJ650 $4300. (609)501-1866 cash only,no trades, no paypal will not ship!"

http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/2926832068.html

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #908
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Givi A602 Screen

My Givi A602 arrived yesterday. Fits (and removes) quickly and it works very well. Despite only having 2 bar mounts it is very solid and so far I haven't found any movement, even at freeway speeds. It does take all of the wind pressure off so maintaining high speeds is a lot more comfortable and the bike runs easier with the smoother air flow.

I have experimented with various angles and so on, and as shown in the pics gives the best results for most protection and lowest wind noise. There is more wind noise than the naked bike up to about 60mph, but beyond that the screen is quieter I think. I put a piece of rubber hot water pipe insulation between the bottom of the screen and the headlight to stop any vibration wear and noise.

Scrivens screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 05:35 AM Reason: Evernote took down the Skitch site I've used for years and I've lost a lot of pics
Old 03-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #909
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Don't know of a better place to ask than here, so here goes....

Anybody have a rear rack for a W650 they wish to sell? Need something to mount a top box on.

Please PM me if you do, thanks.
I may have a Five Star I bought from Twisted Throttle available after the 15th of April. I'll send you a note then to see if you are still interested. I am converting to GIVI sidebags. Anyone have advice on side bag mounts? I have used Five Stars on my last one and they worked great. I'm just looking for opinions.
Barry
Old 03-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #910
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
I may have a Five Star I bought from Twisted Throttle available after the 15th of April. I'll send you a note then to see if you are still interested. I am converting to GIVI sidebags. Anyone have advice on side bag mounts? I have used Five Stars on my last one and they worked great. I'm just looking for opinions.
Barry
'I assume you know about the LeatherLyke hard bags. I just installed some on my W and they seems to be just fine.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #911
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Scrivens said" There is more wind noise than the naked bike up to about 60mph, but beyond that the screen is quieter I think. "

Nice looking windshield. I tried a smaller windshield on my W and it increased the wind noise over the naked ride so I sent it back. Maybe I will try A602.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #912
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

They are quite cheap anywhere else but Australia - about $140 over there I think. It has a very nice aerodynamic shape and it makes quite a difference at highway speeds. Like most Givi screens I've had it is slightly too narrow at the top; another 3" in width on the top edge and it would be perfect. Their big touring screen is the A660, but it isn't available here anymore and it also uses another set of mounts on the forks so something would have to be cobbled together for the Ws as they have full length brackets for the headlight.

The good thing with the 602 is that it can be removed in about a minute - 2 allen head bolts on the bar clamps - and with the positions pre-marked on the various rods and so on it can be remounted to the same settings in a couple of minutes. I prefer the bike unscreened, so I'll put it on when the weather gets cold and wet. The Hepco brackets also come off/on in a couple minutes so the bike can be put back to stock in less than 5 minutes. Nice for when you just want a nice light bike.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 AM   #913
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
'I assume you know about the LeatherLyke hard bags. I just installed some on my W and they seems to be just fine.
I'm ok with Leatherlyke. I have several GIVI bags. What mounts do the Leatherlyke use? Do they have their own for the W?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 AM   #914
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
I'm ok with Leatherlyke. I have several GIVI bags. What mounts do the Leatherlyke use? Do they have their own for the W?
The LLs have two mounting points for each bag on the W. One replaces the nut on the rear shock and the other goes where the reflector mounts. Took very little time to install.
Photos and PDF install document at
https://leatherlyke.com/products/cat...addlebags-w650
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #915
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Hello to all. I haven't posted here in a while but Sunday was a great day for a ride and the "W" is back in action.

26K miles and still going strong.