User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #1081
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Dead battery issues

How about the fact that a W runs like sh@t with a weak or dead battery? Mine starts just fine when the battery was dead w/ the kick starter but ran terrible!
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #1082
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,629
Hopefully the W with a weak battery will run good enough to get you home. Then you need to get a new battery. I treat batteries like I do tires, if I think I need a new one then I get a new one ASAP.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #1083
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpoley View Post
How about the fact that a W runs like sh@t with a weak or dead battery? Mine starts just fine when the battery was dead w/ the kick starter but ran terrible!
Yup. That's the reason for the recommendation to zwish to check the battery . . . .

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #1084
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Yup. That's the reason for the recommendation to zwish to check the battery . . . .
Yeah, Constant issue over on the yahoo group. I probably missed it but never did hear back from zwish about his problem.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 07-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #1085
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Just a bit of a heads up for those on the lookout for new tyres. The W800 comes fitted with Dunlop K81 TT100 tyres (the classic racing version of the K81) which are excellent tyres, but quite wide and very soft. Both mine were toast at 6000km. I used to use K70s on most of my old Brit and Jap bikes and found that Dunlop are still making them. A 3.25 on the front and a 4.10 rear fit perfectly are a bit narrower than the K81s, grip in the wet and handle very well and are also very cheap. I've aways liked the K70 as an all rounder on twins, especially for touring.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #1086
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
I'm also getting ready to replace the original tires, except mine are from 2001. I've got about 5,500 miles on them, and the wear marks are starting to get even with the tread.

I've read some good things about the Bridgestone Spitfire S11 sport touring tires, and will probably go with them for extended tread life. Will even spring for new tubes.

Anybody here have any experience with them on a W, and what sizes should I be looking for? They have the ratio type sizing, i.e., 110/90-19.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #1087
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,627
FWIW On Tires

Just a comments/observation on the tires on my Dubya--Metzler Lasertec's.

I put the Metzler's on as soon as I bought the bike--old hard OEM tires don't make for great or safe handling. The Metzler's seem OK, though nothing special. I've put about 5K miles on them, with more than half their tread remaining. I do like to lean the bike a bit in corners, but the Dubya has never quite measured up to my oilhead beemers for handling . . .

Recently, the bike's started to exhibit a noticable speed wobble while decelerating through about 50 mph. In addition, it felt like it was "leaping and bounding about" going over the rough pavement in all our contruction zones. Part of this is likely due to the stiff aftermarket suspension, Hagon's/RaceTech, though I do have a Superbrace on the forks. I've also dropped the forks in the triple trees about 3/4 of an inch.

I was suspecting worn or loose steering head bearings; I'd checked the wheel bearings not too long ago and they seemed fine. I did the usual centerstand/wriggle move the forks around, and everything felt fine--no looseness or roughness/binding. But the more I thought about those tires . . . .

So I rubbed my hand over the front tire, and could feel a noticable "edge" to the center portion in relation to part of the tread as it eases towards the side of the tire. Difficult to describe, but very easy to feel. I'd been using the lower limits of Metzler's pressure recommendations (34 psi front, 36 rear).

I increased the front timre to about 36 psi, and the rear to about 37-38. That made an immediate, noticable improvement in the handling, and almost completely eliminated (but not quite) the deceleration speed wobble. So now I know--a very slight under-inflation on those tires can cause uneven wear, which then causes some instability.

When these tires finally wear out, or the handling gets too obnoxious, I'll probably give the BT 45's a try, but will also follow what y'all report on this thread. Looking forward to learning other's experiences with their particular tires.

ORexpat screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 06:09 AM
ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #1088
Speedo66
Transient

I have also recently noticed quite a wobble on hands off deceleration, although mine has all stock suspension. I figured it for the worn out front tire, but I'll try increasing air pressure to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #1089
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Either new tires or higher air pressure fixed my hands off deceleration wobble.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 07-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #1090
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottpoley View Post
The interesting deal about the color is that I originally asked my painter to match up a color for my 1970 Honda CL175 and this was what he came up with. Not an exact match for my honda, but I like it alot on my W. I had also ordered the black and white checkered tape (about 1.75" wide) and that was going to go down the center of the tank, but when I saw how the red came out, I decided against it.
The shocks and the paint were the biggest expense. Bikemaster Superbike bars ($22), the turn signals were $14 a pair (!, from Motorcycle Superstore), and even the taillight was only about $40 (from the W Shop in Germany). I also have an Emgo cafe fairing but we ran out of paint and I haven't decided if I should mount it unpainted (black).
Rode it to the Car/Bike Show at a local Harley dealer yesterday and a couple of the old timers came up to ask about the bezel drive ("Never saw one of those of a Triumph before..."). Needless to say, always priceless when you tell them it's a Kawie.
scott
Hi Scott.
Is that the original rear fender on your bike?
I like the way it is setup with the tail light etc and I want to do the same on my bike, any details you can give me will be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #1091
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
I'm also getting ready to replace the original tires, except mine are from 2001. I've got about 5,500 miles on them, and the wear marks are starting to get even with the tread.

I've read some good things about the Bridgestone Spitfire S11 sport touring tires, and will probably go with them for extended tread life. Will even spring for new tubes.

Anybody here have any experience with them on a W, and what sizes should I be looking for? They have the ratio type sizing, i.e., 110/90-19.
I've been running BT45s and they work well on the W. Though I have not tried them I would advise against the Spitfires as they are an older model. When my current set wears out I might try these when they become available.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-tyres-tested/
acap650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #1092
Speedo66
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by acap650 View Post
I've been running BT45s and they work well on the W. Though I have not tried them I would advise against the Spitfires as they are an older model. When my current set wears out I might try these when they become available.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...-tyres-tested/
Continental rear tire is too small I believe.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the BT45's?

People's comments on the Spitfires were positive: good handling, good wet and dry traction, and many reporting mileage over 10K, double what I got on the OEM. Overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, which is good. Reviews here http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

I don't doubt the BT45's are better handling, but I don't think they'll last as long, and I hate changing tires, especially with a tube to pinch.

What sizes are you running?

Speedo66 screwed with this post 07-07-2012 at 11:31 AM
Old 07-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #1093
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Continental rear tire is too small I believe.

What kind of mileage are you getting with the BT45's?

People's comments on the Spitfires were positive: good handling, good wet and dry traction, and many reporting mileage over 10K, double what I got on the OEM. Overall rating of 4.5 out of 5, which is good. Reviews here http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

I don't doubt the BT45's are better handling, but I don't think they'll last as long, and I hate changing tires, especially with a tube to pinch.

What sizes are you running?
This new radial Conti will come in BMW airhead sizes so there should be a compatible size for the W if and when it is made available in the US. The preliminary test done on an 80s R100 showed an increase in performance over a bias tire.

With the BT45s I run the stock 100/90-19 front but a 120/90-18 rear and prefer it over the stock 130 rear (it's also cheaper). I get around 10K on the front and half that on the rear.

I'm sure the S11s are fine for the W and may outlast the BT45s but comparing mileage of two different tires only works when done by the same rider. As they say, YMMV.
acap650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #1094
Speedo66
Transient

Thanks for the info on the tire sizes.

By the way, after comparison pricing between Dennis Kirk, Motorcycle Superstore, Competition Accessories, and Chaparral, Chaparral has the best pricing, at least for the tires I bought. They added a $1.75 recycling fee, but then I noticed it was only for CA residents.

Kirk offers to beat your best deal by $1, but a past experience showed it was not worth the time it took them to price the item(s) at the dealer you offer for price comparison. I also feel they tend to overcharge on everything unless they try to beat the other guys prices.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #1095
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Yeah, Constant issue over on the yahoo group. I probably missed it but never did hear back from zwish about his problem.
I apologize for the delay. I have my thread subscription set to "instant notification" but it doesn't seem to work. I still haven't gotten my tank back from the painter. I'm starting to get pretty anxious here. It's been 2 months for a simple job! I'm going to replace the battery regardless once I get the tank back, however I think I may have found what the culprit was. I went out to the bike yesterday to just make sure that everything is ready to go once the tank arrives and it turns out that the rubber boots from the carburetor to the airbox were very loosely installed, not making a complete seal around the carburetor. It must have been like this for 500 miles since I had been riding the bike. This would definitely explain the engine shutting off when I pulled in the clutch on the freeway. I've got them snug on the carb now, so we'll see once I get the tank on.

My second issue that I came across was that the float bowl drain screws are both stripped. Since the bike has been sitting since mid-May, I figured that I should drain the float bowls. I should have done that immediately, but originally the painter told me it was only going to be a two week job. I've ordered two replacement screws, but I don't really see how to get these ones out. I'd love to be able to do it without removing the carbs from the bike if possible. Any advice?
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote