Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #1216
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
Some folks use home-made shims. I've read of some of them slipping.

Better idea: Google "Problem Solvers" bicycle handlebar shims. Your local bike shop can get them from Quality Bicycle wholesalers, plus Amazon and other on-line folks have them. Get the size for 7/8" to 1". They're ribbed, soft aluminum and work really well. Cheap, too.

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/handlebar_shims/
I figured it was out there, but I wasn't searching with the right terms. Thanks for the info.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #1217
WikdBeemer
Older but still riding

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwish View Post
I put 100 miles on the bike yesterday. I like the seat much more than stock. I felt like I was on top of the bike as opposed to in the bike with the stock seat. I also felt like it was tilted slightly forward, so that in combination with the high stock handlebars made for a very uncomfortable ride. The LSL seat is a huge improvement for me. It's much lower so you definitely get that "in the bike" feel, but it's not as squishy/padded as I was thinking it was going to be. I think it could use a tiny bit more padding, but it's not uncomfortable at all. I found the stock seat to be very bulky/ugly and seemed like an afterthought to the rest of the bike. The LSL is very svelte and looks great. If I had to do it again, I would definitely still purchase the LSL seat.

I put 6k miles on a 2008 Triumph Bonneville and I found that to be one of the most comfortable bikes I'd ever ridden. The seat in combination with the Norman Hyde M handlebars was perfect. However, the bike just felt like it didn't have any character compared to the vintage bikes that I've owned in the past and it was heavy as hell. It also had too much power for what i'm trying to do. I like a bike that is capable of stints on the highway, but more importantly, I want a lightweight, zippy little bike that I can tear around 40-50 mph roads with. It's the whole "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow" kind of thing. The powerband of the 650 feels great though. It's got more juice than I need, but it's good to have since my gf and I share one car. I feel like you can ride it a tiny bit harder than the 865cc Bonneville and keep it at reasonable speeds, but it's still damn quick. If someone made a classic looking 450cc, 6 speed, 300-350lb bike, I'd be all over it.

I can't wait to rack up the miles on the W!
Excellent wrap
Any chance you could post a link for the LSL seat?
I cant find it on their site.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #1218
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by WikdBeemer View Post
Excellent wrap
Any chance you could post a link for the LSL seat?
I cant find it on their site.
I was able to google the LSL seat, found this site . . . http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/pc49.html

There may well be other vendors with the seats--zwish, who did you use?

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:38 AM   #1219
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Have a look a this one - turn your 650 into a Vincent... Link to W650 Custom pics

Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #1220
rider929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
Looks great!

How did you adapt 7/8" bars to the 1" triple clamps? I've never had to do that.
These shims can be purchsed from Lowbrow Customs as well.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #1221
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 526
Seats again

I've always wanted to add this to my W650 seat collection.

From VD Classic. http://www.vd-classic.com/EN/access.php?acc=650w
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:34 AM   #1222
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
I was able to google the LSL seat, found this site . . . http://www.twinshack.co.uk/prods/pc49.html

There may well be other vendors with the seats--zwish, who did you use?
Yep, that's where I bought mine. Definitely a pricey seat. It ended up being around $550. Twinshack doesn't tell you that they charge you shipping as well but then you get this mystery charge a few days later. I wanna say it took around 3 weeks to get. When you put in an order, LSL sends it to Twin Shack, and then TS sends it to you.

I went on another long ride yesterday and I'm finding the seat very comfortable. My first bikes were all pretty aggressive cafes, so I really enjoy having that little swoop up on the seat to press against when you're really leaning into turns or accelerating fast. When you're just cruising around, it is also very comfy. It's just kind of a 1 position seat. No sliding around back and forth.
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #1223
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

More Seat Stuff

Great feedback on the LSL seat. Love the way it looks.

As is evident in my photos, I've got a Corbin Gunfighter on my Dub. Bought it used from an inmate. I've had Corbin's on other bikes. Corbin's have two main distinguishing characteristics.
1. They are relatively wide and have a slight dish, meant to provide support to the "sitter's" butt, and I find the shape very good.
2. They are hard--very hard. I find the Corbin on my XR650 to be far more comfortable than the stock XR seat, which feels like a "wedgie" within 10 minutes of first contact. The Gunfighter on the Dub is even harder. I understand why some folks will hate the seat, but I like it. The only downside is there's a bit of vibration evident that was cushioned by the stock powderpuff seat. I can ride the Gunfighter all day, but the stock Dubya seat hurt after about an hour. It wasn't the ridge that got me, it was the soft squishiness. While it was better than the stock XR seat--taking an hour for the "wedgie" to hit--I find the Corbin to be very supportive and reasonably comfortable.

My opinion, FWIW. Disclaimer: I also ride Brooks saddles on bicycles, so I guess I'm a hard-ass.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #1224
Burninator
Zed's dead

Oddometer: 294
Hey zwish - love the bike. Looks fantastic. I'm digging the paint scheme. I know what you are saying about the classic tank badges though. I'm thinking these would look great on a satin black tank.

By the way, where did you get your tail light?
Burninator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #1225
Burninator
Zed's dead

Captain Jake's

Good news! Captain Jake's Big W650 site is back up and running. For the past month or so this site has been down due to malware attacks. It's now up and running, and is a great resource for the W650.

http://www.captainjakes.com/w650/
Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #1226
zwish
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
Hey zwish - love the bike. Looks fantastic. I'm digging the paint scheme. I know what you are saying about the classic tank badges though. I'm thinking these would look great on a satin black tank.

By the way, where did you get your tail light?
Yes! Those are the exact badges I was thinking. I haven't found a clear place to get them though. I'm curious how I would mount them. I'm guessing 3M tape? The W650 tank is pretty curved so I'm assuming you'd have to bend these to match the curve of the tank. I was either going to go with those or the old school "kawasaki" badge that you'd find on a 70's Z1 or something like that.

I bought the tail light from Dime City Cycles. http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...-225-1007.html

I did a little write up about it a few pages back because I had some issues figuring out which lead from the light was ground. It was a pretty simple install and I really like the look. I might shorten the fenders sometime, but for now I'm just glad to be riding again.

Great news about Captain Jake's site. I think I'm going to tackle the air mixture screw adjustment this week.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #1227
Burninator
Zed's dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwish View Post
Yes! Those are the exact badges I was thinking. I haven't found a clear place to get them though. I'm curious how I would mount them. I'm guessing 3M tape? The W650 tank is pretty curved so I'm assuming you'd have to bend these to match the curve of the tank. I was either going to go with those or the old school "kawasaki" badge that you'd find on a 70's Z1 or something like that.

I bought the tail light from Dime City Cycles. http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...-225-1007.html

I did a little write up about it a few pages back because I had some issues figuring out which lead from the light was ground. It was a pretty simple install and I really like the look. I might shorten the fenders sometime, but for now I'm just glad to be riding again.

Great news about Captain Jake's site. I think I'm going to tackle the air mixture screw adjustment this week.
The badges can be purchased from: http://www.w650shop.de/
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #1228
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,121
They're in the bodywork section on that site, 99 Euros/pair, about $125 at current exchange rate, plus shipping.

Better than the W emblems off the 800, at 182 Euros.

I also have seen the "M" tank emblem off a Matchless turned upside down to form a W, some look pretty good.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #1229
zwish
Adventurer

Air Mixture Screw Mod

For you folks who have done Capt. Jake's air mixture screw mod,

What method did you use to drill through the caps? Currently, I don't have a Dremel and I'm trying to see if there is a simple way to do it without having to buy one. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #1230
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Ummm . . . . sorry, I used the Dremel. It was a good excuse to buy the 90 degree attachment, under the rubric that "it's always good to buy new tools . . . ".