Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #1366
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwish View Post
Man, I thought the same thing and I had read the Jerk's post a ways back about how when he actually removed the system instead of just blocking it off, it caused a 300rpm rise in his idle (probably curing an air leak). But there is a definite, noticeable improvement in the way the bike accelerates and engine brakes now. Maybe I'm crazy, but either way, I'm pleased with the results.

Bike should be quicker ... loosing 50lbs of useless garbage from the bike
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #1367
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
Bike should be quicker ... loosing 50lbs of useless garbage from the bike
More like 5 lbs at best. I removed the entire air injection system from my W but didn't notice any difference in performance.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #1368
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Damnit, just let me enjoy my perceived performance enhancement! Haha!

New question for you folks. Would you think it unwise to run the bike without a rear fender? I'm trying to go for that super stripped down vibe and I think it would look really cool. The airboxes and carbs don't look like they would be in any danger from water and debris, but I could be wrong. If I remove the front fender as well, I would get a Super Brace. Just curious if I would damage anything.
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #1369
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,894
Well. you'll definitely risk a skunk stripe up your back the first time you hit wet weather.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #1370
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,570
. . . and when you remove the front fender, all that water gets sprayed on the engine and up in the air . . . . and then lands on your face . . .

Since I ride in the rain as a matter of routine, I've no intention of cutting down or removing my fenders.

For the fair-weather-only folks, I don't believe fender removal would cause any real problems. You might put a cut-down piece of plastic fender under the saddle/behind the airbox, just to keep rocks and gravel from causing damage.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #1371
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
. . . and when you remove the front fender, all that water gets sprayed on the engine and up in the air . . . . and then lands on your face . . .

Since I ride in the rain as a matter of routine, I've no intention of cutting down or removing my fenders.

For the fair-weather-only folks, I don't believe fender removal would cause any real problems. You might put a cut-down piece of plastic fender under the saddle/behind the airbox, just to keep rocks and gravel from causing damage.
I used to have a little CJ360T without any fenders and the license plate acted as a mini rear fender. I don't remember water spray being an issue in the front either as I commute almost every day on the bike. Good call on tucking a small sheet of plastic back there if I decide to give it a shot.
zwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #1372
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

zwish,
You could ask someone who has replaced their W650 rear fender because of the splitting if they would sell you their old fender and you could just chop it off and still have the protection. I believe the Jerk replaced his rear fender with the new improved version.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 PM   #1373
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
my W675

I'm just about done with my w675.

List of things done:
Super Brace
RaceTech fork springs (lowered an inch) and gold emulator
Hagon rear shocks (210mm, which should come out to about an inch lower at rear axle)
shorten center stand an inch and bent out kick stand
Honda CB600F handle bar (3" rise and 28" width at bar end weights) with problem solver bar shims
Shorten throttle cable (cut them down and solder new ends)
Shorter clutch cable (from oem low bar)
stainless steel braided brake line
HH brake pads
Signal Dynamics headlight and brake light modulator
Powder coated fenders and grab bars
spot welded on gussets on rear fender
smaller turn signals
2001 knee pads
trimmed seat and upholstered (plan on trimming down the middle hump flat)
Rapid Transit tail bag
Gerbing electric heater ready
oil dip stick thermometer
de-baffled stock mufflers
air/fuel screw at 2.5 turns out and shim needles
All emissions stuff removed/replaced properly not just plugged up
BT45's tires with over 5k miles (looks like they will last 6k miles) Trying some Pilot Activ next

Big improvements were the suspension upgrades and the lower handle bars. Lower the bike an inch did reduce ground clearance a little but I like the lower center of gravity. Carb tune is just right and am getting over 60mpg taking it easy, upper 50's mpg thru the mountains and about mid 50's mpg if I ride it like a sports bike. Overall the bike feels much better then stock...almost sold it when it was stock cause I wasn't happy with how it rode but now am very happy.

Thinking about taking off the emblems, just don't like how thick they are, makes the bike look wider. If I do do it then they will be replaced with W's. Bike is a little dirty in this pic, hadn't washed it in about 3 months.

DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #1374
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Got good news yesterday from my local dealer, my little mishap caused no fork or frame damage.

So I'll rebuild, already had new throttle cables installed, now looking for a new headlight. Need to order turn signals and another low bar.

Looking for opinions as to whether (and how) the foot peg bracket can be unbent.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #1375
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Speedo66,
That is good news. She will be good as new soon.
How about a close up of the bent bracket? Maybe someone can come up with a suggestion.
Hunker down for Sandy and be safe.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 10-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #1376
Speedo66
Beastly Adventurer

Visiting my daughter in OH, won't be back to the east coast 'till next weekend. Hope my houses are still up with no trees through them.

Good luck to all in Sandy's path, and stay safe.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #1377
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwish View Post
Damnit, just let me enjoy my perceived performance enhancement! Haha!

New question for you folks. Would you think it unwise to run the bike without a rear fender? I'm trying to go for that super stripped down vibe and I think it would look really cool. The airboxes and carbs don't look like they would be in any danger from water and debris, but I could be wrong. If I remove the front fender as well, I would get a Super Brace. Just curious if I would damage anything.

If you strip it down just make sure you do your bike justice. W's are gorgeous bikes with a ton of potential as a custom.

Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #1378
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
If you strip it down just make sure you do your bike justice. W's are gorgeous bikes with a ton of potential as a custom.
GB,
Is that your W? Very nice job but way too extreme for me. IMHO, unless I had a wrecked W I would leave it original but to each his own.
I'll be back in SWFL for the winter soon so maybe we can have another W meet up say half way across the Alley.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #1379
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,570
I tend to agree with Barnone. W650's are relatively rare in the US, though much more common in Europe and Asia. I hate to see such a nice bike made less ridable in the name of an individual's view of aesthetics.

I enjoy looking at custom work that enhances the joy of riding--cafe racers, scramblers, touring versions--and that don't destroy the bike's basic handling and ergonomics. That's my biggest complaint about "choppers." Most aren't built to be ridden, just gawked at. There's a lot of superb craftsmanship and creativity that go into many unrideable bikes--I respect that immensely. But many of the things done to those bikes detract from the ability to actually ride them.

Contorted riding positions, ill-conceived tire sizes, etc.--meh. I'd rather go for a ride!

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #1380
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post

that is a sweet looking bike and looks very ride-able to me
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote