Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #1456
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,325
Supposedly they heard the complaints about the '00 seat and made other changes than just the cover to the '01 seat.

Also changed other items in response to complaints, including the angle of the gauges, the diameter of the front axle, and some others which I can't remember. Also offered a low bar kit in other parts of the world.

Seems like after all those changes they would have kept it here for a few more years.

In response to lower bars, I bought the Bikemaster Euro bars, which were the closest specs to the factory low bar.

Get it here for $27 delivered. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221110686305...witem=&vxp=mtr

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #1457
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,652
I like the thick knee pads 'cause they give me something solid to grip when the bike used to go all wiggly on me, before I put new tires on.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #1458
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

So it was 31 degrees out this mornin' when I took the Dub out for a 30 minute romp. Jacket at about half, gloves almost full hot. Battery stayed charged, no issues at all. I did turn the jacket down at stop lights.

Worked like a champ!

Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #1459
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORexpat View Post
So it was 31 degrees out this mornin' when I took the Dub out for a 30 minute romp. Jacket at about half, gloves almost full hot. Battery stayed charged, no issues at all. I did turn the jacket down at stop lights.

Worked like a champ!
ORexpar,
Good report on the heated jacket and gloves.
I just wore my mesh jacket here in SW Florida for my ride out to the ranch to mow some weeds down.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #1460
Duelsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
I like the thick knee pads 'cause they give me something solid to grip when the bike used to go all wiggly on me, before I put new tires on.
I resisted putting on the '01 (slim) kneepads for 10 years for the same reason. Just recently got some and put them on, and wonder why the heck I waited. They look so much better than the '00 version.
79 Honda CBX
82 Honda CB900F
Duelsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #1461
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
ORexpar,
Good report on the heated jacket and gloves.
I just wore my mesh jacket here in SW Florida for my ride out to the ranch to mow some weeds down.

So while you're enduring that wild Florida winter, I'm psyching up for my second retirement and move in January to the Puget Sound region of the Pacific Northwet. They usually get a couple day of summer sometime in August.

Exactly the opposite corner of the country from you!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #1462
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,831
Quote:
So while you're enduring that wild Florida winter, I'm psyching up for my second retirement and move in January to the Puget Sound region of the Pacific Northwet. They usually get a couple day of summer sometime in August.

Exactly the opposite corner of the country from you!
Your ADV handle will have to be reworked since you will no longer be an Oregon expat. I'm sure you will be happy to get back home.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #1463
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Well, since I'll be living in Washington, maybe they'll let me keep my screen name!

Just spent the last hour looking at the PNW regional forum. A little different than the Shenandoah Valley crowd, but it should be fun anyway. I see lots of events already cookin'

Old 12-16-2012, 07:32 AM   #1464
Spike77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I am always amazed at the amount of folks who opt for low bars. Personally, I added handlebar risers last year which took some of the strain off my lower back and butt. However since I was still unhappy with the seat, I decided to try monkeying around with the adjustments on the rear shocks. There is a tool in the original kit that inserts and they have (I think five settings). I tried them all and found one that sits more comfortable for me. Now I have no issues riding for half a day or longer. Just a thought...
Spike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #1465
Pigford
British

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike77 View Post
I am always amazed at the amount of folks who opt for low bars. Personally, I added handlebar risers last year which took some of the strain off my lower back and butt. However since I was still unhappy with the seat, I decided to try monkeying around with the adjustments on the rear shocks. There is a tool in the original kit that inserts and they have (I think five settings). I tried them all and found one that sits more comfortable for me. Now I have no issues riding for half a day or longer. Just a thought...

I found the standard shox to be way too soft...... so I've fitted HAGON's and its a different bike - front end is still a tad on the soft side tho'
Pigford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #1466
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Well, I found the stock bars were terribly uncomfortable anywhere above about 20 mph. With no windscreen I sat bolt upright; wind pressure was enormous. Lowere bars let me balance better against the wind.

I find more and more as I approach geezerhood that slouching on any of my bikes makes my back hurt. Straightening my back and using the ol' abs really helps.

That's one of the cool things about riding; everyone seems to have different solutions and farkles. It's kinda cool to see the differences. What kills my back helps yours . . .

On the fork. Issue, my solution was Race Tech emulators and springs. Works well for me. YMMV.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #1467
Speedo66
Transient

Rode Fri, put on about 80 miles in 40 deg F weather. I used the Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. I don't have a controller, so full power on both.

Made a few stops, and no problem with starting, no indication of a low battery.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #1468
acap650
acap650

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Agree on the handlebars--that's by far the best first step--and much cheaper if you go with the el-cheapo Bikemaster bars like I did.

Now that I know I really prefer lower bars, I'd not hesitate to buy a better-quality bar if the current setup rusts too much, or some such thing.

I've got a Corbin Gunfighter on mine, bought used through an inmate. I find the firm saddle much comfortable than stock, but wouldn't mind having just a small layer of softer foam over the hard stuff. Plus, I've discovered that the hard seat actually blurs my vision at higher revs--believe it's just my glasses vibrating ever so slightly!

I may try to re-do the stock seat sometime myself, but will never go back to the original seat as-delivered. I call it the "one hour wedgie seat."
We all have different proportions requiring different peg-seat-bar proportions. As a little person with short legs and a short reach I find the Corbin seat pocket to be too far back for low bars - it was designed for the stock high bars. It is also hard as stone and slippery, but is shaped well and definitely more comfy than the stocker for longer rides. Since I have mounting hardware on both seats I alternate using the stocker for short local rides and the Corbin+sheepskin for long trips. WFM.
acap650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #1469
Speedo66
Transient

I found changing to low bars made enough of a difference in how my butt contacts the seat, that I now find the '01 stock seat to be comfortable.

It's no longer vertical pressure, leaning a little forward took the edge off it.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #1470
zwish
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonad Nomad View Post
Allright. I hate my seat, and I'm looking for feedback from others who hated their seat but found an acceptable solution. My W is a 2000 with the smooth seat cover and stock high bars. I find myself sitting right on the ridge of the seat that occurs exactly wear the seat latches to the bike. Also, the forward slant of the seat results in junk to tank contact. FYI, I'm 5'11" with a 33" inseam. I see my options as follows:

1) Have someone local rebuild the seat.
2) Corbin gunfighter
3) Something expensive from Japan, Germany, etc.
4) Increase my butt toughness.

Options I'm not willing to try include: Sheep skins, Walmart atv seat pads, hemorrhoid cushions.

I hear people say that the 2001 and later seat is more comfortable. Isn't it the same seat with a different cover?

Anyone have a Corbin they want to sell?

Thanks

Nomad
I hated the stock seat/bar setup. If you look back at some of my older posts, I did a writeup on the LSL Flat Track seat. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Very comfortable, my gal says pillion is very comfy as well, and it looks great! A bit pricey, but definitely worth it.

zwish is offline   Reply With Quote