User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Goliath27 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
My Honda CM400 Build(or tear)

Copying my posts from my Midwestelite website, so I'm posting them all together even thou they are originally separate dates...

This is my first bike and first time in the works on it as well. I bought this with most of the work done by a friend and I'm currently just planning on getting it running properly. During the winter I will modify and change things with a possible on the Hard tail.

Bike started off as the usual...(not my garage, friends place at the time)

Nekid

didn't like the street fighter bars but Blacked out...

The way she sits without the seat....

Does anyone have a good idea of how to wire up all of the electronics and maybe the ignition to a separate box under the seat? Air box is already removed and I'm looking to relocate it like this setup. I don't know what to do in terms or removing all the wiring and I'm looking for a way to relocate everything and limit all of the wiring including relocating the ignition.

Well the Seat is On, I just need to fit a small home made(yet good looking) Box for all of the wiring and fuse relay. Here is how it sits as of today..

I put the current stock pipes back on, but I hate them, too quiet lol.

Bought this 82 CM450 for a parts bike, needed the starter and the Carb Boots off this bike for my own. This way I have an extra parts bike laying around as well. Some pics for Height comparison. Sorry, started tear down, and if anyone needs parts, ask away.

Plate Bracket/brake Light Mounted

Currently she just sits, the motor is leaking oil and I need to test the CM450 motor from the Parts bike to see if it will start. If it does, I'm swapping them(6 speed ).

What I need to Know...
1.) What do I need to do to get rid of all of the wiring from sight and relocate everything important. Ignition and all, I want to make a dummy box/oil can and have it all there.

2.) Kick starter - Possible? And worth it? My starter is dead all the time and I'm not sure I want to keep going through this with another used starter.

Thanks for Reading.

ALi

ALi
Goliath27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Redbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
My first bike was an '81 CM400T

I did the Nighthawk 450 conversion on it also. It was well worth it ;)

Trying to retrofit a kicker on it will be damn near impossible. I asked my mechanic the same question about fitting one on mine. He said "none of the provisions for it are there. You'd be better off finding an older motor that already has it".

As for the electricals... you can move them where ever you want. But you might have to add some length into the harness to get it there.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Goliath27 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbird
My first bike was an '81 CM400T

I did the Nighthawk 450 conversion on it also. It was well worth it ;)

Trying to retrofit a kicker on it will be damn near impossible. I asked my mechanic the same question about fitting one on mine. He said "none of the provisions for it are there. You'd be better off finding an older motor that already has it".

As for the electricals... you can move them where ever you want. But you might have to add some length into the harness to get it there.
Thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think I posted this in the wrong place.

Not familiar with the Nighthawk conversion, what does it include or a pic of what it looks like? If it's just the motor, like I said I have a parts bike CM450 and plan on pulling that and putting it on. It's my first anything with a bike so I will use trial and error lol.

Fuck the starter, I'll just find a used one or a good new one somewhere

As for the electrical, I wanted a way to hide everything and not sure on how good the frame is for tucking. I just hate having my fuse box and relays all on the side like that and would rather have them hidden in one box. Any ideas?

ALi
Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Don't know what a new one costs, but there is generally someone nearby who will rebuild any starter for $50-$75. Ask the counter jocks at the local auto parts store.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Goliath27 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan
Don't know what a new one costs, but there is generally someone nearby who will rebuild any starter for $50-$75. Ask the counter jocks at the local auto parts store.
Good idea, I have a starter/alternator shop here locally and I can ask them, I WILL go this route.

ALi
Old 10-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #6
Redbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Nighthawk 450 = CM 450... same animal. Yes it's just the engine swap.

About the electricals... are you looking to lose the side panels? or do you just want to move the wiring somewhere else?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Goliath27 OP
n00b

Quote:
Nighthawk 450 = CM 450... same animal. Yes it's just the engine swap.

About the electricals... are you looking to lose the side panels? or do you just want to move the wiring somewhere else?
I want to Lose the side panels and tuck all of the electrical components somewhere else, in a home made box or something. I would leave it but the other side panel is missing a tab and wont stay on.

My Goals
- Get the bike running with the 450 on
- Make it clean, I know I'm not doing a hard tail anytime soon but I love how they look with a more open frame and not all cluttered
- maybe lower it if possible.

But I do hate having all of the clutter on my handles, I want to relocate the ignition at least and if I'm doing that, I might as well make a dummie box.

ALi
Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
Redbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, I see now. I didn't do anything like that with my CM400 so these are just general suggestions...

If you want to open up that area completely... You can probably tuck most of the electricals under the seat area and possibly under the tank. I would think the only real concerns would be access to the fuse panel and not burying the regulator/rectifier (it'll need some airflow so it doesn't overheat). I think the battery will be the hardest thing to "hide", but there are alternatives for that too. Carbon Speed sells Lithium Phosphate batteries that work just as well as lead plate batteries but are half the size. They're a tad on the pricey side, but cheaper versions are on the market.

If you want to add a box instead... all you have to do is find a box you like (and fits) and have at it. Install the box and fit what you can into it. What won't/doesn't fit in, hide somewhere else.

About lowering it. You can drop the forks in the triples by loosening the pinch bolts and sliding the tubes up. You can drop the front end by a couple of inches that way. Just make sure you don't go too low and encroach on the spring travel. As for the rear, lower the shocks to the bottom setting. If that's not low enough for you, keep an eye out for a pair of smaller/lower height shocks.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Goliath27 OP
n00b

Quote:
Ok, I see now. I didn't do anything like that with my CM400 so these are just general suggestions...

If you want to open up that area completely... You can probably tuck most of the electricals under the seat area and possibly under the tank. I would think the only real concerns would be access to the fuse panel and not burying the regulator/rectifier (it'll need some airflow so it doesn't overheat). I think the battery will be the hardest thing to "hide", but there are alternatives for that too. Carbon Speed sells Lithium Phosphate batteries that work just as well as lead plate batteries but are half the size. They're a tad on the pricey side, but cheaper versions are on the market.

If you want to add a box instead... all you have to do is find a box you like (and fits) and have at it. Install the box and fit what you can into it. What won't/doesn't fit in, hide somewhere else.

About lowering it. You can drop the forks in the triples by loosening the pinch bolts and sliding the tubes up. You can drop the front end by a couple of inches that way. Just make sure you don't go too low and encroach on the spring travel. As for the rear, lower the shocks to the bottom setting. If that's not low enough for you, keep an eye out for a pair of smaller/lower height shocks.
I'm at the lower settings on the rear and I will be checking again to find some other shocks.

As well, the parts bike has the Disc brakes on the front forks. My current fork has the older drum style telling me that the previous owner swapped them. I'm debating on keeping the Drums for a cleaner Look or putting the Disc fork on. They sit Higher but I'll be following your steps soon!

ALi
Old 06-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
jmassic
n00b

Oddometer: 2
My cm400 A

Hey just came across this post, and its getting close to a year old. But I am just finishing up a build. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...76&id=17822992 you should be able to see it from start to finish there. I made a pretty simple wire box. I hope to pull this 400A and get a 450 in is sometime next year.
jmassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
ct80400t
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hey, I know this is an old post, but, I am in the process of a building a '80 400t, and this post just helped me with the read fender! THANKS! as for the wires, I took a 4" exhaust tube and mounted my wires in there and capped the ends. I have no finished the install but most people who say it liked it.

Thanks again!
CT
ct80400t is offline   Reply With Quote