User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
mistercindy OP
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
Thumb TCX X-Five (formerly Oxtar Matrix) Review

I've been virtually shopping for cooler weather/winter boots for about a year, since my old BMW Contours were starting to fall apart. After much (too much, probably ) reading and trying things on, I bought a pair of TCX X-Fives (formerly the Oxtar Matrix). After a month and around 1,000 miles I'm very pleased. Some thoughts:
  • They were comfortable out of the box.
  • They're easy to walk in and wear all day.
  • No shifting issues.
  • They are supportive. Keep in mind that the X-Fives are touring/commuting boots, so there is no way they'll be as sturdy and supportive as a pure dirt or even a bigger DS boot.
  • Certainly warm enough for north Texas winter riding. A day of riding in the 40s and my feet were never cold.
  • Good retention with the velcro and zipper enclosure. Again, nothing like a pure dirt boot with buckles, etc... But certainly more than adequate for touring/commuting, etc...
  • Haven't tested the waterproof-ness yet, but all leather and gore-tex makes me think they'll be fine.
  • They have good ankle and shin protection (again, for a touring/commuting boot).
  • Also, at just over $200, they're reasonably priced given TCX's quality and the fact that they are an all leather boot.

I think if you do a search you'll find years of excellent reviews for the Matrix/X-Five (check out WebBikeWorld's review of the older Matrix (LINK), and other reviews here at ADVrider). IMHO, particularly for the money, they're a superb all-round sport/touring boot. A pic:

BTW, my summer boot is the TCX Air Tech XCR (bought them when they were still Oxtar, but the TCX version is identical). Same sole as the X-Five, and after three summer seasons and ~20,000 miles they're going strong.

One of my issues was fit, and TCX's 45 fits perfectly with normal athletic socks. I do replace the insole with a Superfeet green. It snugs them up just a bit, and makes an otherwise good walking boot a great walking boot.

Other boots that I seriously considered:
  • Sidi Canyon gore-tex - Love the boot, but I'm between a 45 and 46 for everything Sidi makes.
  • Sidi On-Roads - Same problem. Between sizes. Love the boots, though.
  • Rev-it Apache - Again, love the boot. Like the Sidis I'm hopelessly between sizes 45 and 46.
  • TCX Infinities - Love the boots. They were my first choice. But the tall (14") Infinities won't go around my monster sized 20" calves.
  • BMW Allround - They're a lot like the X-Five, but its a bit more expensive, and I couldn't find anyplace that'd let me try them on.
  • BMW Pro-Touring - IMHO its too much money for what you get. With tax its a $400 pair of boots. No more protection and not a lot more retention than the X-Five for nearly twice the price. For what you get they just didn't seem worth it.
  • Vendramini Daytona or Marathon - Can't try them on coupled with the fact that the only US distributor won't answer emails or voice mail messages.
  • Daytona RoadStar GTX - Again, can't try them on, which, when it comes to boots is a big deal for me. The folks at Helimot were great about answering email enquiries. I'd love to get to San Jose and try on a pair.

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
I have to agree with the awesomeness of these boots. I wear them year-round and my feet have never gotten wet in them.

Granted, I paid just over $100 for them when they were selling off the Oxtar brand, but I'd be just as happy with them for twice the price if I had to.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
atrain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
+1

Another happy owner. I have had them for 3 months commuting everyday and they've been great. Had a good rain test with them just this morning - heavy/steady rain for 30 minutes @ 65mph and standing puddles at slower speeds and not a drop of water.
atrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
T
FKA cyclingtom

Oddometer: 4,593
40k on the first pair and a small amount of moisture would find it's way in during a heavy rain. I liked them well enough to get a second pair....

T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #5
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,911
Thumb

They are good boots indeed, wore mine out but have a second set too. My dad likes them also. They are comfy to walk in too as well since it isn't always feasable to bring extra shoes/boots for a trip they do double duty. YMMV
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,239
I wear mine all day at the office. No one has ever asked me about them. I think I paid $150 for them new at a local dealer 2 years ago. Well worth the $$.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
Constipated Face
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
My Oxtar Matrix 2 boots were really comfortable to wear - much more than the Puma 1000 boots I now use - but the waterproofing didn't hold up.
Constipated Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Will DaBeast
Go United

Oddometer: 1,299
Mine are 5 years old. Wear them everyday and keep them on here at work. Very comfy. Maybe someday they'll wear out.
BMWMOA #127619
Will DaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,343
Great touring boot the Matrix that is. I've used mine down into the 30s with heavy socks and no issues with cold or rain. I upgraded them with Infinities two years ago but no boot has ever been as comfortable wearing all day as the Matrix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
Will DaBeast
Go United

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
Great touring boot the Matrix that is. I've used mine down into the 30s with heavy socks and no issues with cold or rain. I upgraded them with Infinities two years ago but no boot has ever been as comfortable wearing all day as the Matrix.
6 degrees for me on my 50 minute commute. My regular socks. I was ok for about 40 minutes but by the time I got to work I was a bit cold.
BMWMOA #127619
Will DaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
MLS2GO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Another view

I have somewhere between 50 and 60,000 miles on mine. I am getting a very slight leak in the right boot. Other than that they have been awesome. I will definitely buy another pair best boots I have ever had by far.
MLS2GO is offline   Reply With Quote