User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
A pharmboi in fenics...

Just spent 2 days aboard a rented GS toodling around Pheonix. Ride report to come.

must sleep and get back to shovelling snow.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
GermanPickle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

It started so innocently.

Stay 2 nights, get a free night to use from August - January. It was free to sign up. I figure at the very least, We'd stay a night at the local Holiday Inn with a pool and let the kids have some fun.

But the value-driving guy that I am, I had to find the nicest Holiday Inn resort that was in a warm place, within an easy/cheap flight of Winnipeg.

And well...

I have two of these things.

...and one on the way...

So maybe it'll just be the two of us. The Nanny and in-laws can take care of the kids for a few days....

...right?

And maybe I'll surprise the wife with a couple spa treatments, she'll like that.

Ya, this is a great idea. I'll book it! and so I did.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

So we're off to Scottsdale, AZ. for a few days...just as Winter take a hold of the place I call home. (in fact, we got our first snow while we were gone)

But I don't golf.

What am I gonna do?

Surely not spa treatments

But I do like to ride bikes
Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back in January I rented a bike in Vegas through Eaglerider. Lo+Behold, they have rentals in Scottsdale, Booyah!

I make my reservation for 2 days, click onto ADV for some ride ideas and googlemaps my way to a couple daytrips.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

GPSs play a large part of my vacation in PHX, so let me start talking about them now.

My GPSMAP60C has the problem of intermittent power loss while on batteries. It can be so sensitive that a slight tap will turn it off (known issue to these series).

Knowing that I will be on battery power for the rental period, I smartly dismantle my GPS and follow some online instructions to solder 2 points together.

Solder gets everywhere, I can't put the GPS back together because of all the solder. I pull out the solder and wires and put it back together. I turns on, but then off. After 30 seconds I go to pull out the batteries to try again and they almost sear my palm they are so hot.

Hmmm. that didn't work out well.

4 days before the trip and I ruin my GPS. I go onto the Costco site to order a new one, but after ording I realize it won't arrive on time. Bummer.

Next I try to order one from gpscity.ca, as my brother-in-law is coming to Winnipeg and can bring it in for me. Sadly, they are out of stock. Bummer.

I see a nuvi in the CDN fleamarket and snatch it up. The seller agrees to ship it 1-day priority and it arrives in time, saving a lot of bickering in the car. However, I still need one for my motorbike travels.

My good friend GermanPickle is pretty handy with electronics and offers to see what he can do.

The man is magic with his Pricess Auto soldering tool.

First he superglues a crack in the case.

Next he solders the wires like I tried to do.

Thanks GP!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

We we were shopping at the mall, one gal asked us where we were from. My wife, who enjoys making people think, said "Winnipeg".

The worker gave me one of these , I smiled, and told her, knew "Manitoba" would get the same reaction, and hoped for the best when I said "Canada".

I then admonished my wife for making the gal have to think, and told her the Canadian rule is to just answer with "Canada" anytime you're more than 1 state from the Canadian border.

A few other comments to the fine folks of PHX about Canada.

Yes, we have Thanksgiving on a different day than you.

Indeed, our Christmas's are on exactly the same day.

and you'll have to be more specific if you ask what time it is in Canada right now, or you'll get one of these back

Old 10-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Good move to break up the winter which hasn't even started.. still riding here!!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Enough text, I know you want visuals.

Btw - I didn't mean to slam the locals or 'mericans...Scottsdale was super nice. The food was great, the people friendly, and the town very pretty and clean (I mean, when you actually got to see something besides gated community walls...what's up with that, and why hasn't that caught on in Canada?)

I digress. The sister store to the BMW dealer is a Honda dealer who offers discounts on SIDI gear in the ADV Vendors section. I popped in there first to get my new On-Roads, then headed to the BMW dealer to pick up my GS. Although it's just behind the Honda dealer, I got lost along the way and it was pretty dark when I picked up the bike.

I followed my wife back to the hotel and went to bed.

Here she is the next morning, ready to go riding.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,284
I never had much luck running my 60csx on batteries. You can put a foam earplug under the battery cover and it will help some. Hardwired to the bike is best.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
I never had much luck running my 60csx on batteries. You can put a foam earplug under the battery cover and it will help some. Hardwired to the bike is best.
Yep, it helped, but yes, hardwired is the best and how I run it at home on the KLR.

Day 1 started out wonderfully. My original plan was to head north, and best case scenario, get to the Grand Canyon. You see, where I come from the roads are straight and it's easy to estimate where you'll be at a certain time. Here in the hills and curvy roads, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Day 1 started around 7am, it took 2 hours to get to Wickenburg, and that's when it started to get fun. I got home at 4pm, this being the eventual route. A total of about 500km.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Let's get to the pics, shall we?

Breakfast in Wickenburg

hehe, clever.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

For lack of a RAM mount like I use at home, I thought I was pretty smrt for using the belt clip on my wrist velcro strap.

This will prove to be an expensive choice on tomorrow's ride...However it was working perfectly until that point.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

The scenery and roads just got better and better. It also got much, much colder. I think 54F was the coldest I saw this day.