Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
famoadv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
RE: Leafman's 1200GS vs. Guzzi Stelvio Comparison - Redux

Hi,

I'm new to the ADVrider site, but as a lurker I've watched this GS vs. Guzzi thread, so eloquently started by Leafman, for some months. I wanted to start a new thread for fear no one's watching the four pages of old thread.

Now, finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for many different reasons and in many different respects, I am ready to post my experience with the Stelvio. And to tell of my, if I may, burning desire to own one!

I had occasion to visit Lake Como and Milan last year, just about this time. My good friend who lives in Milan, and who rides an 1150 GSA and KLR, (both of which I've ridden many times), suggested my next bike should be, (I ride an '07 Super Duke and Harley Wide-Glide), either the Gran Passo, or the Stelvio. He happened to know a dealer near his house who carried both. All I had to do was sign my life away to obtain these beautiful machines for 30 mins. (the rides could've been longer except it was afternoon into early evening). What a difference, here in NYC, all you can do is sling a leg over the steed of choice - IF the dealer has it in stock...

To the riding: As the Gran Passo is at first glance sexier and downright nasty looking, I chose it to ride first, expecting to love it at first throttle and then torture myself trying to import one... Unfortunately I won't spend much time talking about the GP, sporty, very tall, and fantastic looking - it didn't turn me on. I looked for the sweet spot in the throttle range. The fun zone; didn't exist for me. It just didn't feel like I was going very fast, and strangely it was hard to lean over. Maybe it's more of a dirtbike... (but I don't think so) Granted, my little test route was in a crowded area of Milano, near the Central Station and full of funky one-way streets and shiny, slick trolley tracks. I managed to fight my way outside of the periphery, and find some streets that allowed gears above first and second. I even found a neat little traffic circle that was relatively uncrowded and allowed me to lean the bikes over at about 40 mph, for a 90 degree turn.

The Stelvio; the mechanic downstairs in the shop, told me most test riders preferred the Moto Guzzi! I didn't quite believe him - I returned a believer, and a believer with the widest grin ever to grace this face. THIS BIKE IS FUN TO RIDE. My comments will follow Leafman's to a "t". First gear is indeed magic for city riding! (And I imagine just as magical off-road). I did not notice the rev surge at all. I was too busy enjoying the feel of those fantastic big V's. My senses were overwhelmed, in the best possible sense, by the sound of the pistons and valves moving me with grace and agility through traffic! It was on the way back to the shop, when the grin burst onto my face. I realized I'd tossed this huge machine around like a 250. No horsing it and nursing it through the traffic circle like I'd had to do with the Gran Passo, (and as I knew I would've been forced to do with a GS). This bike can be flipped from side to side. I split traffic no problem, standing up to weave at some points, (equating this in my mind with dodging sizable boulders off-road). The Stelvio rides like a much smaller and lighter motorcycle. This wide-**s grin stayed on my face for a couple of days, remember I now ride a very fast and light motorcycle, the KTM Super Duke - which makes me smile too. The only negative point I can think of was the Moto Guzzi V configuration in relation to my 6'4" frame. My knees did kiss the cylinders slightly, I rode in jeans with no knee protection. As I imagined this might be a problem, the mechanic raised the seat and voila, no more problem!

As I said above, there is light at the end of the tunnel and I'm ready to buy this motorcycle. My post is hopefully a worthwhile addition to the wonderful thread Leafman started, I am hoping someone will read this with knowledge of a left-over '09 model for sale somewhere! I'd really appreciate any information at all.
famoadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,973
Renaissance here in Tucson has (had?) one on the floor.

M
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
famoadv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for that, I'll check them out!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
(Ernest Hemingway)

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 KTM Super Duke
2001 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
I like Guzzi's!!!
From the Chi Town Cycle Show..

...........And to think BMW has a lack of Dealer networks.....
Old 10-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
famoadv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Isn't she a beauty?!!!! I like the White model too

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
(Ernest Hemingway)

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 KTM Super Duke
Old 10-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #6
Camogary

Oddometer: n/a
Had a Stelvio for a year and covered 13,500 miles. Biggest piece of Shite I've ever owned, luckily traded it for a 1200 GSA, with reasonable px price.
Sensors fail, cams fail, ecu fails, starter motor fails, dash fails.............................never again.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
famoadv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeouch! Sorry to hear that... In spite of your woes you put some good mileage on the bike! We call that a Lemon in the States, some bikes and cars just come out of factory with bad parts!

(Ernest Hemingway)

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 KTM Super Duke