Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
wercol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
To the ADV guys in Lima, every Wednesday riders from Lima Moto Club get together for planing rides or just for a spin .
http://www.limamotoclub.com/inicio.html
Location for the meeting
http://www.limamotoclub.com/ubicanos.html
Have fun
wercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #17
unGringo OP
Texan in Lima

Oddometer: 16
CG 125 FAN Details

Ok... to answer your questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio0163
Would it be rude of me to ask what you ended up paying for your new CG125 FAN?
Not rude as far as I'm concerned... I bought a brand new 2008 model at the end of 2009. I paid $1990 for it... when I got it the odometer read "0.6 km". I think a new one lists about $500 or $600 more than that, i.e. a 2010 bike.

Quote:
Are any of the Chinese made bike reliable enough?
I really don't know how reliable the Chinese bikes are. What I do know is that there are gazillions of them on the road here. Some brands I can think of off the top of my head are RTM, Wanxin, Cycler, Fortte, and dozens of others. I recently have looked with a friend and you can get brand new older style CG125 knock offs for about $850 list price.

Quote:
Are there any particularly good places to find used motorcycles?
There have got to be tons and tons of used bikes available... but where to actually buy them isn't very obvious... and I haven't looked because I wasn't particularly interested in a used one because new ones are so affordable... if couldn't have afforded the Brazil made FAN, I would have bought a Chinese knock-off... or the Chinese Honda CGL which runs $1400ish list price.

Quote:
How difficult is it to purchase/register a bike as a foreigner?
I can only speak from my experience and I have a resident visa which allows me to have a Carnet de Extranjeria. That means I can do things like register vehicles and buy things just like Peruvians. I think what you'd need is a special stamp from Immigration that says they've approved you to buy and sell goods and enter into contractual agreements. That's what they told me when I was trying to buy a car before I received my Carnet... so I'd think it's the same for a bike. One other thing, FYI, the insurance company called La Positiva is the only one that sells motorcycle insurance. The insurance called SOAT is what you are required to have by law and it's what all the cops will ask to see when they inevitably pull you over. Going rate for bribes is 10 to 20 Soles... about $3 to $7... FYI.

Quote:
Any advise you or others with Peruvian experience have would be most helpful.
I'm sure there is a ton of stuff... one thing that comes to mind is that if you're here on a tourist visa, when you go through customs and they stamp your passport, you can ask for the maximum length, which is 183 days... much better than the default 14 they will give you if you don't specify.

If you have any other specific questions about Lima, I'll be happy to take a stab at answers.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
Horatio0163
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Gracias por tu respuesta, unGringo. He sido en Lima desde viernes y ¡amo la ciudad! He visto muchos motos y con cada quiero un moto más. Quizás en las semanas que viene investigará el proceso en más detalla.
Vivo en Miraflores y tomo clases a la Católica en San Miguel. Si quieres, te compraría un cerveza a algun momento.

Otra vez ¡muchisima gracias por tu ayuda!
Chris

Horatio0163 screwed with this post 03-02-2010 at 05:38 PM
Horatio0163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:43 AM   #19
LS650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Thumb

If anyone is still interested in this subject, there is a fellow riding a little CGL 125 from Chile to the US...

http://www.ojurik.com/bike/
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
tinman32
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Cgl 125

I bought a new 2012 Cgl Honda in Guadalajara, Mexico last june. It has 3000 plus kilometers on it now. I do not believe it is made in China. I will look for the paper work. I weigh 205 pounds and top speed is 65 MPH. The bike comes in Black, Blue, Wine and White. I love mine. I bought a new CB 125 in 1973 and rode it 18,000 plus miles before hitting a large dog. And beat it like a step child daily being 16. The difference between the old and new bike is a separate tach and speedo. a electric start, and a enclosed chain. The post office and the Dominoes Pizza as well as the Coke and Pepsi delivery people ride them. I have 4 other motorcycles and ride the Honda the most. I am going to take this one to California and leave it and buy another one for here in Ajijic, Mexico. BmW 1200 adventure, Harley mule street tracker, Kawasiki 1400 Concourse and a 1998 Excelsior Henderson. You cannot beat these bikes for in town errands But i ride mine 28 miles on the main road to Guadalajara as well.
Tinman32
tinman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #21
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Just a quick mention of this for the gringos that are thinking about using a small bike in any Latin American urban setting.
Hint: Ride like the locals.
You will be expected to, car and truck drivers will expect you to act and ride like the locals do. Of course, ride within your limits but follow what the local riders do. I've seen instances where well meaning gringo riders here, displaying impeccable US style moto manners, have confused the bejeezus out of local car, truck, and bus drivers.
You will be mounted on a gutless little runt of a bike, the only thing you have going for you is point and squirt mobility. That will keep you mounted on the bike and not mounted on the grill of something.
Myself? I wouldn't get on anything less than a 250cc, riding a 125cc you might as well be on a scooter.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote