Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #16
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
All the parts supplies I can see are calling it (the chain) a RK50KS-102L. Runs about a hundred bucks.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

They used it on a bunch of bikes.
Ok, so its unlikely that there's a sealed version of the chain... at least one that'll work with the stock sprockets anyway. I'll take some measurements and see if it matches up with anything newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage
Found it, here's what I was thinking of:

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics...._honda_kit.pdf

$225 seems pretty cheap!
I'll shoot them off an email to see what the specifics of the kit are, and if they have any other suggestions.

In other news, the bike is definitely a '73, i doublechecked the chassis number and its a K5, so the guy we bought it from had his info wrong.
toplessFC3Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #17
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by toplessFC3Sman
Ok, so its unlikely that there's a sealed version of the chain... at least one that'll work with the stock sprockets anyway. I'll take some measurements and see if it matches up with anything newer.
Didn't the 350 come with a 530 size chain? There are tons of 530 O-ring sealed chains out there. I remember reading somewhere that the SL350 had a 520 chain on it, so if you could find a set of sprockets you could switch over and save some weight.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStrom
Didn't the 350 come with a 530 size chain? There are tons of 530 O-ring sealed chains out there. I remember reading somewhere that the SL350 had a 520 chain on it, so if you could find a set of sprockets you could switch over and save some weight.
That's what my bikes have. With the 530 there are lots of sprocket options for the CB/CL....

Mr. Vintage screwed with this post 10-20-2009 at 06:14 PM
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Oh, wonderful! I won't be getting it quite yet (finances dictate the pace of the project at this point), but sometime over the winter, throughout the tear-down.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #20
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Recieved the CBR throttle bodies yesterday, and its time for a bit of work to get them to fit and work with the CL motor.

There is a shaft that actuates all of the idle valves simultaneously that needed to be cut down, and I need to find a way to mount a solenoid to it so I can drive it with the MS's closed-loop idle control.

The fuel rail needs to be shortened, and the flange for the fuel pressure regulator re-attached since it's on the side of the rail that I won't be using. Hopefully I'll have this one done by this morning.

I will need a new throttle cable, and to fab up some way of mounting it to the side of the TB since the stock cable mount is broken (and appears to be missing some bits)

A few holes need to be drilled and tapped in order to mount things like the idle solenoid, the other end of the fuel rail, and possibly a throttle cable mount

A way of mounting air filters on the end of the TBs is needed too, since the flange that normally connects to the stock airbox will be hard to work with. This also needs to incorporate the holes that lead to the idle control valve, which are not part of the main cyl bore.

Well, its not letting me upload pics, so I'll have to get around to finding a place to host a few, but I have them anyway
Old 10-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #21
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 847
Old 10-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #22
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,332
I love crazy projects like this

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #23
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

half the throttle body with a part of the fuel rail on top.

Opening up the integrated idle control valves on the cut-down actuator

Another view of the throttle bodies with the cable pull in front and the TPS on the far side

And the cut-down and re-welded fuel rail to fit just one bank:

I just realized that I dont have any pics of the bike its going on, so I'll try to get those today or tomorrow when I bring it in for storage

toplessFC3Sman screwed with this post 10-24-2009 at 12:13 PM
Old 10-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #24
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Looking good! How does the spacing between throttle bodies compare to the spacing of the intake ports?
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #25
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

I haven't measured precisely yet, but from what I remember, the intake ports are about an inch to 1 1/2" further apart than the bore spacing of the manifolds, so I'll either need to get creative with the plumbing or cut apart and extend the idle valve actuator, throttle butterfly pivot rod and fuel rail. I'd like to avoid this, but it may be necessary to ensure that the injectors are spraying onto the valves and not just pooling fuel.

The biggest worry of mine is the power requirement of the fuel pump, injectors and ECU, and how this compares to the alternator output. Even with the upgraded ricksmotorsportelectrics stator, I'll only get 8-10 amps, and considering the pump will be at least 5-6, with injectors being up to another 3 and ECU being up to 1, not counting a possible solenoid to control the idle air control valve. Factoring in the headlight, this won't really be enough, so it looks like i'll need to get a stator/rotor off another bike to make this work. If i'm going to do it, i may as well get a considerably more powerful one, so I can power stuff like a better headlight, an ecu-driven tach, and possibly glove/jacket warmers. From what I've read, the CL350 alt is 55 watts, while a CBR600 F4i is around 300-310W. If you're gonna do it, may as well do it big, huh?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #26
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Well, just pulled the trigger on a stator, rotor, and stator cover from a CBR 600 F4i (I'm somewhat trying to keep components in the honda family... no particular reason, plus I've worked on the F4i as part of FSAE). All bits are used, but together came out to $106 total. Now I just have to come up with the mounting, once they arrive.

Alternator assembly and cover:

And the first couple pics of the bike herself. Just finished dragging her up a flight of stairs to my apt (with the help of a few friends), and she's now residing on my balcony, awaiting work to begin!
Her good side:

Again:

Low(ish) miles!:
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #27
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Just ordered a used fuel pump from another donor F4i. Its the cyl at the top of the picture below, and I'll probably just mount it externally with a fitting to replace the fuel valve. It also looks like it might include the fuel level sensor, which could be a nice addition once I figure out what its output is, especially since I won't have the "reserve" offered by the fuel valve anymore.

Also got the fuel rail mounted to the throttle bodies, and preparation for the idle valve solenoid. This involved drilling and tapping a new hole to mount it to (since the old one broke off in whatever accident brought the set of throttle bodies to my possession), and drilling and tapping another pair of holes aligned with the plate that the solenoid will need to act against. Now I just need to find a solenoid and create the mounting bracket.

Weather permitting, the bike will begin to come apart tomorrow to fit the throttle bodies, and take measurements for the alternator and associated hardware.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #28
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,549
This is pretty damn sweet
Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #29
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
This is pretty damn sweet
+1
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #30
toplessFC3Sman OP
Adventurer

Well, pulled the seat, tank, air filters and carbs off of the bike today, and came to the conclusion that theres no way in hell I'm going to get the throttle bodies in the position I want them in without cutting them apart. The inlet ports in the head are just spaced too far apart, and there's not enough clearance between them and a frame member to get the throttle bodies installed in a way that'll actually flow fairly well.

Looks like I'll have to cut them apart after all, extend the fuel rail and throttle butterfly shaft, and possibly the idle actuator too. At this point I may just ignore the stock idle valve in the throttle bodies and instead just run a complete solenoid valve with a restrictor to simplify packaging.

The bike as she sits now... mmm look at that rust... er... patina