Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #31
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Wicked Better not take that long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman
Jeez, they are almost out of New Hampshire after a week. At this rate, they'll be in FlaDa by New Year's!

Dr.
I hope it doesn't take that long to get down there! We have plans to meet up down near Key West around my birthday and that is Christmas Eve. I had a previous engagement that kept me from getting any real riding in with them during their brief visit (that and it didn't get above the 30s), riding isn't as interesting in the Keys but it's pretty scenic in it's own way (I can look at the ocean forever, have to be careful crossing the bridges) and a LOT warmer. We did get to spend some "quality time" in the garage though. Once they get into some warmer weather it will be easier to rack up some miles.
Oh, and Natasha misses them already as well, keeps looking out the door to see if they are coming back to play with her.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #32
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape
I hope it doesn't take that long to get down there! We have plans to meet up down near Key West around my birthday and that is Christmas Eve. I had a previous engagement that kept me from getting any real riding in with them during their brief visit (that and it didn't get above the 30s), riding isn't as interesting in the Keys but it's pretty scenic in it's own way (I can look at the ocean forever, have to be careful crossing the bridges) and a LOT warmer. We did get to spend some "quality time" in the garage though. Once they get into some warmer weather it will be easier to rack up some miles.
Oh, and Natasha misses them already as well, keeps looking out the door to see if they are coming back to play with her.

Bruce
I hope they get to the warm places soon. Once down the coast beyond the Mason Dixon, their ride should be more pleasant. Seems A&W have a true knack for procrastinating and taking in the sights. That's not bad thing in June, but now time is of the essence. I'd like to see a real trebuchet launching pumpkins, but also know the frostbite season is hard upon us.

Ride on, Canucks!

Dr.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #33
DirtDriven
Not Cheap,Thrifty

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
He found his Canadienne lady -- or she found him. 12 hours on the road last Saturday for Amanda, and the happy couple was reunited. That's dedication (or mayhaps True Love). As some of you may have noticed, the KLR demands an upright, in-the-wind stance, has an itty-bitty windscreen, and is much happier below 65 mph than above it. Amanda rode down from Ca-Na-Da on not exactly a perfect summer day. I've had some experience treating hypothermia victims. Luckily, the kids were at the hot tea and warm blankets stage.

The back story is in Will's original thread, here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507203

I think this pair will need a little help with the ride reports? If you host 'em, please kick in.

Have fun storming the castle. . .

Dr.
Thanks for the update and bringing me up to speed on what's going on
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM   #34
JAYZONI
BIKELESS (FOR NOW)

Oddometer: 41
Hey Buddy

Hey Will..
Sorry we didn't get a chance to get together before you left for this excursion... I'm jealous DAMN Marriage LOL... Safe travels, Don't do anything I wouldn't do and we see you soon... PEACE JAY.......
Old 10-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #35
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYZONI
Hey Will..
I'm jealous DAMN Marriage LOL...
Now the cat's out of the bag.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #36
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerled
How the heck do ya get "smug" out of a little icon of a guy on a scooter? Sheesh!!

Yep, my scoot is a hoot!

TBG
Amazing skills in extrapolation -- something you should be familiar with. Besides, I can read a map.

Dr.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #37
Somerled
Mountain Warrior

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Amazing skills in extrapolation -- something you should be familiar with. Besides, I can read a map.

Dr.
Then why did we wind up on the other side of Harvey Lake?

'77 BMW R100/7 with Velorex sidecar, Hannigan faring and windshield
'03 Honda Silverwing 600 FSC with Clearview windshield & vent
'06 SYM HD200 with GIVI 105 windshield
Somerled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #38
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,602
In.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #39
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerled
Then why did we wind up on the other side of Harvey Lake?

That's where the crapper was, obviously.

Dr.

Canuman screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 08:18 PM
Old 10-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #40
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
October 1st, 2009

October 1st, 2009

Woke up this morning and took a deep breath of fresh air. Now thatís brisk baby! Dark skies, chance of rain, no problem. Got the Wally World triple-XL rain gear stashed in my realtree camo saddle bags. I figure Iíd blend in with my surroundings being hunting season and all. Last night at the pub a lady recommended taking the ferry to Wolfe Island, then take another ferry across to Cape Vincent. My original game plan was to cross at the Thousand Island bridge, but since either route required a toll I decided to take the ferry instead. Best thing of all it was free to take the ferry from Kingston to Wolfe Island. Nice.

Ferry from Kingston to Wolfe Island

A view from the upper deck

As I pulled up to wait in line for the ferry to Wolfe Island, I thought Iíd chit chat with the lady in the car parked behind me to pass the time. I told her what I was doing and she thought it was amazing. She was a school teacher and commuted everyday to the island. After a brief exchange she politely excused herself because she had papers to mark and the time on the boat was usually the time she would do that. It just dawned on me that here was this perfectly normal woman doing what she needed to do to make ends meet. Not sure if she really was happy with what she was doing, but sure enough she was doing it. At some point after this trip I would need to think about thatÖbut not right now. No way! I got too much life in front of me to think about that rubbish! Ferry docked, rode the steed to the front, took a seat on the upper deck to take in the view. Thatís when a tidal wave of emotions hit me like a sack of potatoes. I sat there and tears began to fall. I thought about my friends and family, but most of all I thought about Amanda. I thought about how great it would be if she was here to see what Iím seeing right at this very moment. It was beautiful. I laminated a picture of her and taped it to the windshield of my bike so that I could talk to her whenever I was bored on a long stretch of road. I glanced over to see her from the upper deck and more tears would roll down my cheeks. Sheesh! I thought I was made of sterner stuff. I wiped away my tears and told myself not to let my emotions get the better of me again. I thought about the trip and what was coming ahead. I needed to be strong. The Adirondacks were drawing near. I felt it. A wry smile formed at the corners of my lips. IíM BACK!

Ferry from Wolfe Island to Cape Vincent

Me on the ferry bound for the USA. Notice the realtree? Of course you canít! Itís realtree!

Family and friends gone.

Single tear rolls down thy cheek.

I am now a man.

job3-14 screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 09:50 PM
job3-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #41
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYZONI
Hey Will..
Sorry we didn't get a chance to get together before you left for this excursion... I'm jealous DAMN Marriage LOL... Safe travels, Don't do anything I wouldn't do and we see you soon... PEACE JAY.......
Jayzoni! For all of you who don't know, Jay and I shared our first two motorcycle adventures together. He's engaged and is getting married this winter. Congrats? hahahahah!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #42
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi
hey dude if you make it to California, you might ass well make it to BAJA, I can show you some places.... just saying, the word is that Baja is a cool place for ridding, ADV approve !

BEst wishes

Damasovi
When does it take place?
Old 10-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #43
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

October 1st, 2009 pt. 2

October 1st, 2009 pt. 2

No point in waking up the steed. Border guard was right there to greet me. I walked the steed over to the gate feeling a wee bit apprehensive. Looking the way I do, I thought itíll take some explaining to do before they let me in the country. Luckily enough the border guard has a cousin who owned a KLR and wished me well on my journey. Phew! I wasnít in the mood to strip down naked and have my butthole probed. The guard also informed me that it had snowed in the Adirondacks the night before. Wonderful. So there I was, back on the steed as I entered the land of the free; American flag waving up high in the air. I could not help but to belt out ďBorn in the USA!Ē as I rode down the foreign pavement. Weather was still grim, but luckily the rain held off for the most part. Rode through Watertown and made my way in the Adirondacks. I had planned to camp out for the night there, but where exactly I had no clue. I figure itíll come to me as I head deeper into the woods. By the time I had entered the state park my fingers were frozen I could hardly move them. The rain didnít help much also. I pulled over to a rest area to heat up some lunch. I packed a Primus Gravity II multi-fuel stove and a basic 2-person chow kit. Works like a charm. As I waited for the soup to boil, I kept my fingers nice and toasty on the muffler. Body and soul recharged, I kept pushing onwards through the light rain. By 19:00 it started to get dark fast. I was just north of Saranac Lake and needed to set up camp fast. I pulled off onto an electrical post path that cut through into the woods. A bit off roading, but nothing the KLR couldnít handle. I saw a truck parked by one of the posts and wondered if this was a good idea. Iíd hate to set everything all up only to be told minutes later I had to high tail it. Should I or should I not? That was the question. All of a sudden out in the woods somebody started hollering at me. Uh oh. It turned out it was a hunter hunting for deer. He was kind enough to direct me to free camp sites not too far from here. Nice. It was pitch black by the time I got there and I didnít bother with whether or not I was at an actual site. I just knew I was in the area. Pitched the Eureka Mountain Pass tent and packed my gear in. Watched a few episodes of Entourage from the ipod to wind down and called it a night.

Where I camped the morning after.

Living off the land.

No Thermarest at this point.

A cold sleepless night.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #44
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

October 2nd, 2009

October 2nd

It was cold last night. I would wake up every hour because it was so cold. I had more layers in my pack, but I was too darn lazy to put them on once I was tucked away in my bag. Did I mention it was cold? I managed to survive the night and as soon as the skies began to lighten up, I was packed and ready to hit the road. Rode into Saranac Lake and stopped by at a grocery store to pick up some instant oatmeal for breakfast then rode around town to look for a library for internet access. 2 weeks before departure I started a thread here on ADV looking for tent space. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507203
With the limited funds and the duration of the trip, there was no way I could afford to stay in motels or even campgrounds for that matter. This was more like a cry for help and the response to the thread blew me away. What started out as simply shooting across to the east coast now became a pilgrimage to meet with all the people who have taken the time to respond to the thread. Of all the crap we hear on the news, itís nice to know that there are still decent human beings on this earth. So there I was waiting for the library to open a half hour from now. Better make use of the time to cook up breakfast! Energy refilled, I walked into the library and made contact with my first ADVrider inmateóCanuman. I also got an email from Amanda telling me not to ride too far. Sheís decided to come with me.

My first glimpse of the Adirondack mountains.

Another view.

Whiteface mountain somewhere in the background.

Cold is in the air.

Warmth, least expected, found near.

Someone's coming here!

job3-14 screwed with this post 10-18-2009 at 06:22 PM
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 AM   #45
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

October 2nd, 2009 pt. 2

October 2nd, 2009 pt. 2

I jumped up onto the computer desk, ripped off my shirt, and right before the librarian had a chance to open her mouth I pitched the pieces of cloth right into her face. Then I blasted through the library doors and decided to run laps around town singing ding dong the bells are gonna chime! Thatís what shouldíve happened in a Hollywood script, but instead I sat in front of the computer screen frozen. You have to understand I spent the last couple of weeks psyching myself out doing this trip solo. You canít turn it on and off as if it was a light switch. My first initial reaction was that she was overreacting, but then I thought wait a minute! Is she for real? Even if she was overreacting how hard could it be for me to push her over the edge and get her to tag along? That was the original plan all along wasnít it? I had to jump on this opportunity. I text messaged her back telling her you need to do this, this, and this, and you need to bring this, this, and this. Donít bring anything else or youíll be lugging too much weight. Then I did what I thought was the sensible thing to do. I told her that Iím thrilled youíve decided to come, but also to think this one through. I told her to sleep on it and that Iíll give her a shout when I got a chance. With a lot on my mind, I continued onwards towards Vermont where Canuman lived. I decided to take the ferry from Port Kent to Burlington.

Nice view of Ausable Chasm from a bridge near Port Kent.

Waiting for the ferry at Port Kent.

Got to Port Kent and missed the ferry by 20 minutes. Waited around for the next one. Chit chatted with the locals to pass the time. It was starting to get dark by the time the ferry had arrived. While onboard, and elderly man invited me into his car while we crossed Lake Champlain. He was doing an adventure of his own as well. His goal was to visit all the national parks while he was still in good health. I admired that about him. Itís never too late to do anything in life. Arrived in Burlington just in time for rush hour traffic. Minutes later it started to spit a little. Just what I needed. With the gps programmed for Sutton, I rode with extra caution. I usually avoid riding at this time of day, especially out in the boons. You never know what critters might jump out in front of you. By the time I reached Sutton it was pitch black. The gps pointed me in the right direction, but I was very apprehensive. I could barely make out the front gate of the driveway. I noticed it was long, narrow, and dark. About 100 yards ahead I saw a light and a silhouette of a man in front of it who goes by the username Canuman. In the dark deep places of my demented mindÖI started to hear the banjos playingÖ

The brisk air of night.

Small hairs on your neck erect.

Mommy where are you?

job3-14 screwed with this post 10-19-2009 at 04:54 AM