Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #751
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
This continues to be a great thread, thanks for continuing to take the time to share it with us.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #752
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
A big adventure.....

This is what I would call a really big adventure.....Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. It's been great!

Gary

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711847
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #753
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
September 11-12, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by azshtr View Post
Will and Amanda... thanks so much for keeping this going. It's been almost 2 years since you started this journal! I'm looking forward to the conclusion!

Go KLR's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT View Post
This continues to be a great thread, thanks for continuing to take the time to share it with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
This is what I would call a really big adventure.....Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. It's been great!
Thanks for tuning in! It's been been a pleasure updating!

September 11th-12th, 2010

No need to wait for the alarm clock to ring this morning; the sound of wind and rain was enough to wake us up. Archimedes and Deya were early risers and were set on continuing despite the wet weather. Amanda and I on the other hand were in no hurry to ride in the rain and decided to sleep in for an extra hour or two. We wished them both a safe journey.

The rain died down to a drizzle and we decided to seize the opportunity to break camp and not get too wet. Packing the tent in gusty winds brought back good memories of ol’ Groundhog Hill back when we were holed up on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Packing the tent today proved to be a bit challenging, but was nothing compared to what went down on Groundhog Hill. I think it’ll take a tornado to top the windy conditions we experienced.

Today we ride due west and our game plan for the next couple of days is to visit a family friend of Amanda’s in Hopewell. Wayne & Yvonne are originally from Strathroy, Ontario and had moved out east for work.

We stopped in a town called Antigonish and picked up supper at the Canadian Superstore. It started to rain again and we decided to wait it out. We kept ourselves occupied by perusing the magazine section and keeping up with current events. By the time the rain had stopped, the sun had already gone down and we decided to stealth camp out back. This picture was taken the next morning; ironically enough we camped next to Wal-Mart.

The next day we spent the majority of our time exploring the small towns of New Glasgow and Stellarton. We stopped at the library to keep in contact with family and friends and updated the ride report. Here we are at another Canadian Superstore treating ourselves to a deluxe pizza.

Doing my daily brain exercises on Amanda’s cell phone by playing the game Brain Genius.

We got a hold of Yvonne and found out that she works weekends so we decided to camp an extra day on the outskirts of Hopewell. We managed to find a public baseball field that can only be accessible by walking in. We were able to squeeze our bikes through the gate.

We met a couple taking an evening stroll and they pointed out an old bridge nearby worth checking out. Doesn’t look that old to me…

…oh wait, there’s more than one. The Hopewell Footbridge is one of the last surviving footbridges in North America built in the 1800s.

This picture was taken by hanging the camera on a wire. It produced a pretty cool effect.

Hooray! We crossed the bridge and it didn’t collapse on us!

244 km

Another wet start.

Fond memories of high winds.

No trolls under here.
job3-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #754
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I have been following your RR and finally was able to get all caught up. I have to say that what you two have is very beautiful and is an amazing experience the one you have had with your lovely wife. I hope to someday be able to do the sme with mine. Be safe guys and keep on riding.

Later
John
Eagletalon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #755
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 13-14, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
I have been following your RR and finally was able to get all caught up. I have to say that what you two have is very beautiful and is an amazing experience the one you have had with your lovely wife. I hope to someday be able to do the sme with mine. Be safe guys and keep on riding.

Later
John
Thank you for your kind words. The trip sure brought us closer together. I hope you and your wife can do the same thing too. Thanks for tuning in!

September 13th-14th, 2010

This morning we had a hard time trying to decipher the directions Wayne had given us to their place. Eventually we stopped at a house alongside of the road and asked for directions. The man was nice enough to let us use his cell phone to call Yvonne & Wayne, but his wife had difficulty accepting us. For no reason at all she started cussing and yelling at her husband and the man just simply ignored her as if she wasn’t even there. We felt awkward and wanted to get going before things escalate, but Wayne knew where we were and insisted it would be better off to come to us and lead us back to their place. So there we were, waiting at the side of the road while the lady went from yelling and cussing at her husband to yelling and cussing to herself out in their backyard. Frankly, I found it quite entertaining, but I think she might have one too many loose screws in her noggin.

Hanging out with family friends Yvonne and her sister Kimberly

We met the family cat…

…and the family dog

She was a bit of a wild one. She would get that twinkle in her eye…

…and then BAM, she was all over you. Feisty one she is.

We had roasted chicken and homemade mustard pickles for supper. The mustard pickles were really good.

Dessert made from scratch. Yvonne and Kimberly were raised out in the country and their mom naturally passed down her knowledge of the culinary arts to them.

5-star accommodations were provided. I would live in a trailer for the rest of my days if I could; the simplicity and mobility strikes a chord within me.

The next morning we had fresh eggs from the range for breakfast

Amanda and Kimberly out on a nature walk…

…I stayed back at the house glued to Kimberly’s iPod Touch. I have a soft spot for technology and gadgetry.

While Yvonne and Amanda were in the kitchen making homemade jam later that afternoon…

…I was out in the yard changing my rear tire.

Shinkos were good, but I think Kendas are better

I don’t know how many times I’ve done this, but spooning on a tire has almost become second nature

Wayne made chili for supper that’s been cooking in the slow cooker since this morning. We then watched a movie from Kimberly’s vast library of anime DVDs to conclude the evening.

Out in the country.

Cooking lessons 101.

Catching up with friends.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #756
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 15, 2010

September 15th, 2010

Today we ride north to a town called Caribou Island to take the ferry to Prince Edward Island. The toll system that they use to get on the island is unique in that you only pay once; when you get off the island. Since it’s free to enter, we found out to our advantage that it is much cheaper to enter the island using the ferry because it is much cheaper to exit the island by way of Confederation Bridge on the west side. Since most visitors enter from the west, they end up paying more using the ferry upon leaving. Lucky for us, this was not the case.

We met a rider from Germany on his Honda Trans Alp while waiting to board the ferry

We should be experts at tying down our bikes on ferries by now

Although Prince Edward Island is the smallest province in Canada, it is here in the capital city of Charlottetown where the birthplace of Confederation took place in 1864. The Charlottetown Conference was the first meeting in the process leading to the Articles of Confederation and the creation of Canada in 1867.

Prince Edward Island is known for its lush agricultural lands, Anne of Green Gables, seafood, and potatoes.

We stopped at the visitor’s centre to congratulate my sister for getting married. She had a surprise wedding for friends and family, which we initially thought was only going to be a surprise proposal from the groom to be.

It was raining on and off, but we managed to continue riding through the southeast part of the island before making our way towards Charlottetown. Not only did we manage to find a place to camp next to a soccer field, it had a porta-potty for us to use as well.

136 km

Garden of the Gulf.

Named after The Duke of Kent.

Birthplace of nation.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #757
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 16, 2010 pt.1

September 16th, 2010 pt.1

A walk around downtown Charlottetown was in order for this morning.

On the waterfront at Victoria Park

A short jaunt to Prince Edward Island National Park was next on our list. Since it’s the beginning of the off season, admission is free.

Clouds in the sky look kinda dicey. I hope the weather holds up.

We noticed motorcycle tire tracks in and around the beach area. They must’ve used this ramp to get down to sea level.

To the right you can see the red cliffs. The soil is red because it has a lot of rust and iron in it, which acts as natural fertilizers. This is why their potatoes taste so good!

Here’s a thought! Lobster for supper tonight…

…I think we’ll need a bigger pot.

Covehead Harbor Lighthouse built in 1967

There is a plaque on the side of the lighthouse describing the Yankee Gale that struck in 1851. The gale claimed at least 74 ships and 150 lives

24 km

Named after the Queen.

Northern shores of the island.

Earth as red as blood.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 AM   #758
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 16, 2010 pt.2

September 16th, 2010 pt.2

From Prince Edward Island National Park, that same day we rode to a town called Cavendish where the farmhouse of Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery is located.

L.M. Montgomery is known for her novels about the fictional character Anne of Green Gables.

There was an admission fee to enter the property, but sneaky Amanda managed to find a used sticker on the floor by the exit that verifies that she had supposedly paid. Having already been here on another motorcycle trip 2 years ago, I stayed back to watch the bikes while eating Fritos.

The book Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908, has been translated into 36 languages and is taught to students around the world. The novel is very popular in Japan where it has been on the school curriculum since 1952.

Anne Shirley, the imaginative red-haired orphan

Like a glove

The farmhouse where L.M. Montgomery lived and wrote her novels overlooking the fields of Cavendish

Living room

Laundry room

Dining room

Kitchen

Shelf for the fine china

Sewing room

The barn

Giddy up horsey!

38 km

Road to Avonlea.

Barbeque corn chip goodness.

Red headed icon.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #759
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 16, 2010 pt.3

September 16th, 2010 pt.3

From the Green Gables Farmhouse, we rode to North Rustico to pick up supper. We’re not messing around tonight. We’re going to treat ourselves to something good.

There was a house by the side of the road that was selling fresh vegetables and we decided to check it out

There was no one to take your order, just the good old fashion honor system. There’s absolutely no way we’re leaving this island without trying one of their infamous potatoes.

We found the perfect spot to camp in an area that was closed off for the season. The gate kept cars from entering, but not us.

Fresh carrots & potatoes in tomato soup…

…along with a pot of Sidekicks broccoli cheddar rice…

…and fresh scallops and shrimp right out of the ocean to top it off.

Fresh from the garden.

Caught from the Atlantic Sea.

An improvised meal.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #760
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 17, 2010

September 17th, 2010

This morning we were plagued with wet weather once again. I think we got rained on more times in the last couple of days than any other time I can remember. Thanks to the picnic shelter, we at least get to start off dry and not have to pack a wet tent. We decided to take up PavementPounder’s invitation and ride towards New Brunswick; the last province to visit before Amanda and her bike will have ridden through all of Canada with the exception of Nunavut.

The crummy weather has tainted our Confederation Bridge experience. I remember going on an east coast road trip with my family when I was a little kid and saw the first stages of construction.

If you recall, we met PavementPounder and his family on the Trans-Labrador Highway. They live near a town called Shediac.

Lobster capital of the world

I wouldn’t have guessed it, but PavementPounder is a fantastic chef. The potato pasta you see here is made from scratch. We were stuffed to the gills.

Things started to get out of hand when PavementPounder’s wife came home from work. The party drinks started flowing and we all know what happens when you feed Amanda the combination of energy drinks and alcohol after midnight; insert Gremlins theme song now.

You go girl! Burn off some of that extra energy. That is a gigantic bolt by the way.

It’s bedtime now Amanda; you need to turn it down a notch.

151 km

I’ve had it with rain!

Never feed after midnight!

Gourmet chef at work.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #761
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by job3-14 View Post
Things started to get out of hand when PavementPounder’s wife came home from work. The party drinks started flowing and we all know what happens when you feed Amanda the combination of energy drinks and alcohol after midnight; insert Gremlins theme song now.

Been there, seen that, but the memories are still rather fuzzy

Found any seat sales yet? Cervezas await!!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #762
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by job3-14 View Post
September 17th, 2010

Lobster capital of the world
Shediac may be getting ahead of themselves with the world's largest lobster. The one in Kingston, South Australia, built in 1979 is 17 metres tall.
Yamezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #763
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 18-19, 2010

September 18th-19th, 2010

No need for an alarm clock this morning; the family pets were already preprogrammed to chirp at the break of dawn.

Another glorious meal from chef PavementPounder: pancakes & sausage with eggs benedict on toast. We’re going to have trouble fitting into our riding gear.

PavementPounder is in the process of building his house from scratch. I can’t imagine how rewarding it will feel when the project is complete. PavementPounder is tinkering with a broken fog light on his GS while Amanda’s bike is due for an oil change.

We left PavementPounder’s house at around noon and thanked him and his family for their hospitality. We stopped at a military surplus store in Fredericton and picked up a Middle East head scarf called a shemagh. I’m not one to follow any political trends or views, but I hear that when one dons a shemagh, they’re making a political statement in support of Palestine. I like the shemagh solely for its practicality and various uses; I wish I had one of these at the beginning of the trip.

We decided to make our way back into the U.S. to spend a night with MZcountryboy we met earlier at the Skibum Soiree and then head over back to Canuman. We started our trip together with him and it is only fitting to end the trip with him to complete the circle.

A quick break near the U.S. border in a town called McAdam, NB

We decided to camp one more night in Canada before hopping the border once again. We managed to find a decent spot by a pond behind the historic McAdam Railway Station.

The next morning we rode to the border crossing in Vanceboro and had no problems there

We didn’t make it as far east in Maine at the beginning of the trip, so we’re glad we get to ride through this time around.

We spent all day riding as far west as we could and eventually stopped at the side of the road near Rumford, Maine. We found a driveway that led to a public boat launch and decided to camp here.

656 km

Handy piece of cloth.

No interest in politics.

Back in the U.S.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #764
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 20, 2010 pt.1

September 20th, 2010 pt.1

I love camping. It’s one of my favorite activities of all time. I’m so lucky that Amanda loves camping too. Of course, there are a few drawbacks that make camping somewhat inconvenient. For example, peeing when you’re not quite ready to get up while tucked away in your comfy sleeping bag and it’s cold outside; not a pleasant situation to be in believe me. We always make it a habit to do our business right before bedtime and rarely do we run into this predicament, but sometimes for whatever reason, nature has a way of calling at the most inconvenient of times despite doing all the right things. Procrastination has a whole new meaning whenever faced with this natural bodily function in this particular scenario. We always find ourselves holding it in to the point where we begin to dream about going to the restroom and when we realize we’re only dreaming, we have only a few seconds before wetting ourselves. This morning, Amanda found herself in this predicament and she managed to relieve her bladder just in time. If this hadn’t happened, she would’ve missed taking these wonderful morning shots.

Go ahead, it might turn into a prince!

Another successful night of stealth camping

We had Burger King for lunch in Gorham

We rode south on route 16 in search of Mount Washington…

…and decided to pass on paying the admission fee to ride to the top

We did, however, manage to ride to Whitehorse Gear!

Hope we don’t get too carried away.

117 km

Oh, when nature calls.

Like kids in a candy store.

Stillness of morning.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #765
job3-14 OP
Studly Adventurer

September 20, 2010 pt.2

September 20th, 2010 pt.2

So we didn’t splurge while we were at Whitehorse Gear. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a throat mic made by Fox Industries, but decided to back out. I figure that we spent the past year without any communication headsets, why start now? There were a ton of goodies that would be nice to have, but all the essentials we already own. Oh well, we didn’t get anything new and exciting for our bikes, but at least we get to ride through the White Mountains.

From North Conway, we took route 302 en route to MZcountryboy’s place near Marshfield…

…and enjoyed the occasional twists and turns.

We’re riding through green hills and mountains then all of a sudden the road flattens and wham, the luxurious Mount Washington Hotel comes into view with Mount Washington itself towering in the backdrop.

Even though the GPS can no longer pick up a signal, I can still use it to plot out routes and get directions. It no longer gives me real-time directions. For some reason the GPS directed us to take this road…

…that eventually disappeared into a forest. I remember MZcountryboy sent us an email telling us not to use the GPS because it will lead us astray, but I had forgotten about it at the time.

We plotted another route that avoided side roads and made it to MZcountryboy’s place safe and sound

It was tricky finding his place in the dark because he lived in a wooded area. Surely we would’ve passed it if it wasn’t for MZcountryboy standing out in front of his driveway to flag us in with his flashlight.

Here’s his GS sidecar rig I had mentioned earlier about…

…and his project bike, which I think is near completion if not already.

We met MZcountryboy’s wife who is an artist and works from her studio here at the house

Amen sister!

We had these awesome quesadillas they had made for supper and talked about MZcountryboy’s experience when he and his friend took the ferry to St. Pierre et Miquelon when they were out east in Newfoundland. St. Pierre et Miquelon is a group of small islands near Newfoundland which is owned and governed by France. Here’s the link to his ride report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=610153

We all got a little silly after a few drinks

143 km

Refrained from splurging.

Never trust technology.

Little taste of France.