User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
BruceV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
BMW F800GS Break-in recommendation

I am picking up an 800GS this Friday. I'm sure this has been discussed before however I did not see any post.

Any suggestions? I normally ride the bike like I'm going to ride it all the time.

When I bought my KLR everyone had ideas on how to break it in.

The only thing I did was change the oil a few times before I hit the 1K mile mark.

Don't know if that was of value or not.

My ride home from the dealer is about 100 miles, mostly mountain roads with alot of twisties. I figure for the first ride that this would be good, alot of shifting and alot of on and off the gas.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
lots of info here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453887
Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
BruceV OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thanks Darren
Pretty much I will ride it home and run it pretty good on the way. As I said the ride is a good one, up long hills and down long hills. Might change the oil when I get it home.

What is everyone using for oil?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Wouldn't even worry about doing the oil until the 1k (600mile) service. I asked my dealer what i shoould use and he was fairly adiment i leave it in there so he can see how the engine is running in if there are problems, but after that ive started using motul big twin oil on their recomendation.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Just change oil frequently. I use synthetic, but that is debateable. The Rotax engine is bomber. If you change oil at 3K miles intervals you will have no issues.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #6
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Just change oil frequently. I use synthetic, but that is debateable. The Rotax engine is bomber. If you change oil at 3K miles intervals you will have no issues.
Or you could just follow the manufacturer's schedule and save some money.

Hey, we haven't had a pathetic oil thread in a while!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
5000k's or 3000 miles is about where you want to be doing oil changes, and do the filter every 10,000 or 6,000 miles.
If you do easy highway miles fine, but otherwise its a good idea to change it at 3000.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #8
moe.ron
What a friggin' putz

Oddometer: 2,516
I wanted to change the oil before the initial 600 mile service too, when I asked the dealer they said dont do it, there is different oil than what will be used after the first service and for the rest of the bikes life. They called it "break in oil" They also told me dont add any, just ride it. If I was really worried about it being low bring it in and let them look at it

They told me they put different oil in at the factory so the crap/shavings would flow out better during the first change. One of the techs said all kinds of shit comes out.

Truth? Dunno, but thats what they told me.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
EasyJet_RC
Joyrider

Oddometer: 51
Same Same

+1, thats what they told me as well.

Don't know if it made a difference

It's going for its 10K service on wednesday and (thouch wood) All is going well !
EasyJet_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:58 AM   #10
JimR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
The day we picked up our bikes, two 2006 F650GS's, we had planned a ride just to break in the engines. BMW calls the break in the running in or the first time out. The Riders manual stated that you should not exceed 5k rpms and "Try to do most of your riding on twisting, fairly hilly roads rather than high-speed main roads and highways." Obviously you have a different bike so like 1bwmfan said, just follow the instructions in the "Riders Manual" and the engine should do well. At your first service I doubt that the stealership will change all of the oil, they will probably just change the filter and drain what ever oil is in the bottom of the engine and not the oil tank. I've got 38k miles on my Rotax with no issues. Congrats on your new purchase. Regards, Jim.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #11
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

The oil from the factory is no different than what is used when they change it. There was a time when a different break in oil was the case. Those times went away with most Amal carbs.

For a tech to make the statement that they see all kinds of stuff come out means that the tech should be fired. Really? A bunch of crap? Uhhh, filter 101 fella! If all that "crap" is floating around, as he says, then you have bigger problems than changing your oil too soon and you need to file a warranty claim for a new motor as something must have broken.

There is no benefit to changing your oil any sooner than the recommended intervals. If you doubt this, have it analyzed by an oil evaluation company. You are wasting your time and, most importantly, your money.

But, hey, like I said, it's been a while since we had a ridiculous oil thread around here.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
moe.ron
What a friggin' putz

So you dont think any metal shavings should come out of a freshly machined new engine what so ever? No company can machine parts that cleanly on a mass produced engine.

Followed their advice and the bike runs perfect, doesnt burn any oil either. you should have seen the mess that came out of my KLR after the first change, that bike ran great too.

To each his own, not looking to start a pissing match here. As I said in the last line of my post, dont know if its true or not. I do know this dealer treats me pretty good and I have no reason to doubt them.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge A. Storms
So you dont think any metal shavings should come out of a freshly machined new engine what so ever? No company can machine parts that cleanly on a mass produced engine.

Followed their advice and the bike runs perfect, doesnt burn any oil either. you should have seen the mess that came out of my KLR after the first change, that bike ran great too.

To each his own, not looking to start a pissing match here. As I said in the last line of my post, dont know if its true or not. I do know this dealer treats me pretty good and I have no reason to doubt them.
Not what I am saying. I am interpreting what you are being told as your tech is stating he sees visible shavings, etc. To that, I say hogwash. That is what a filter is for.

Additionally, mass produced or one off, the incidence of "metal shavings" is, though not impossible, rare. And, by shavngs, I mean chunky stuff. The normal part of two pieces of metal (rings and cylinder walls, gear to gear, etc.) is fine particulate that the oil filter will pick up. Your filter will handle all of this just fine. And, that is why the first service is; 1) the most important, and 2) done at 600 miles.

I have professionally road raced motorcycles and rebuilt my share of motors along with having worked in the motorcycle industry so I do not feel I am just pulling this out of my arse.

As you stated, to each their own. I just sit by stupified at the logic certain people have (not directed to any one individual) that millions of dollars of engineering, R&D, and manufacturing is worth squat and, "You should change your oil every 1000 miles, blah, blah, blah." The marketing departments sold those individuals, IMO, a bag of goods. Like I said, get your oil sampled if you doubt the oil's ability to stand up to the manufacturer prescribed change intervals.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #14
moe.ron
What a friggin' putz

Well I certainly wont be changing my oil every 1000 miles and have every intention of following the recommended scheduled maintenance program, just thought it may be a good idea to do a few in the early stages is all. The tech never did show meet what was drained or the filter so I really dont know what came out.

I have faith in their engineering, if they say the engine should go 6K between services thats what I do, after all, they do not want to give engines away under warranty.