User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #571
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Helo!

I've bought one of these relocators a couple of weeks back (thank you PABiker for your generous help!), but I haven't installed it until today.

Reason for this is, that I had an accident with the bike just the day after the kit arrived, and the bike was at the dealer for a month. (It was an offroad accident, however the case didn't crack.. But almost everything else did )
I'm not sure anymore that I'm going to ride the bike offroad ever again (due to the crash).

Then I went for a week to Austria with it, to visit the factory on-road only, 1k miles.

But then I've read that one of our fellow rider has cracked the case during an onroad crash, so I felt the need for the relocator again. Actualy I'm kind of a paranoid guy, so If I read anything bad about the KTM's in this forum, I'm already starting to visualise it happening to my bike as well.

Whatever..

So today was the day, I followed the manual, but even this way it took me half a day to complete it.. I'm not the kind of guy, who would carry out a valve check, or anything involving the engine, but if there's some wrenching to do on the frame, then it's ok for me.

So I've read the manual a couple of times just to get the idea, what is going to happen:

When I ordered the kit, I already knew that I will have to remove the springs (what I did already before, but it was a PITA without the correct tool), so I bought the KTM spring puller.. I know. It's expensive, but I'm the kind of guy who loves these KTM tools & powerparts & powerwear.. (maybe I should've bought a BMW?:P)
So with the KTM spring puller, it was quite an easy job to get the spring off:

After that, I've removed the sidestand from the old mounting point as instructed by the manual (13mm hexkey)

I always clean those areas of the bike, that I'm working on.. It's not like I have this - have to clean everything - stuff like the girls do, but I don't realy clean the bike any other ways, only when wrenching on it. There is a nice (but unfortunately quite costy) product to aid this process:

Cleaning involved the side-stand itself, so it had to come apart. It was time to grease it anyway:

When undoing the big subframe bolt I felt quite a big resistance, so I knew I'll mess up the threads.. It didn't realy matter if I put pressure on the pass.peg as recommended by the manual.. Anyway.. If you crash your bike once so bad, it's almost a writeoff, then you don't realy care anymore about messing up some threads.. (you already know you won't have a chance selling it anymore:) ) So this is what it looked like:

At this point I've maybe made a wrong decision, because instead of using loctite on the new M10 bolt (I think it's not in the sidestands manual, but it's in the bikes users manual - but I know that lots of us had this thread gone, so maybe loctiting it isn't the best idea anyways), I've decided to use some grease on the bolt, hoping that the threads aren't gone yet. It worked, thread survived.. However I'll have to check that bolt I think later if it's working lose or not:

Getting the two 13mm bolts on the buttom of the bike was a PITA for me.. It just didn't wanted to align.. I had to push realy hard on the bracket to get it there, but this took me about half an hour:) I thought that I'm doing something wrong - hence the missalignment, but I think I did it correctly, and after trying and trying, it finaly worked out:)

But the real thing that it took me half a day was the fact, that I had to take off the left tank ( I hate to do this, even though I did it a hundred times before:) ), to unplug the safety-switch, and plug the extension in:

Then it was time to bolt back on the side-stand.. I cleaned the thread-locked bolts with a copper brush ( I think this is a good thing to do in order to prevent the threads ), and reloctited them:

After this I re-routed the safety-switch wire (I tend to use a lot of zip-ties, I just love them:)) It's fun:) )

This is my solution for the 950ADV:

I don't yet know what I'm going to do with the holes & the support that remained... What do you think? Pluging the holes is enough, or shall I remove the support completly? (also note the routing of the wires)

Bolted everything back up, put the sticker on, and bike is ready to go:)

However I have a little fear ( Told you already, I'm paranoid ) because of the center-stand not retracting high enough - but anything higher would hit the bracket.. So I hope it's okay this way:

That's it:) Bike is happier than ever, so am I! Thank you PABiker once again for your help! Great product!

Just one more picture about the process, because I realy enjoyed the wrenching, and taking the photos for you guys - hope you enjoyed my write-up as well:

Sumi screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 09:03 AM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #572
Trialsman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
This is my first post here and I have to give a big +1 to PABiker for his KTM 990 kickstand relocation bracket. The idea of cracking one of those expensive cases on my new 990 adventure was too much to bear. It just makes good sense to guard against this kind of needless damage. I bought the bracket and found installation a very easy job. While I had the stand off I welded a bigger foot to the end as it looked pretty anemic. I was going to epoxy a magnet to the sensor but decided to leave it stock and add the lengthening cable supplied with the kit. I really like the idea of steel instead of aluminum for strength. An extra pound on a 500# machine will not make a difference, but the ability to mount the bike standing on the peg with the stand down, will. As I am setting up this bike for new adventures this is one problem that is completely solved in my mind. Thanks for the initiative to produce this item - sorry no pics.
Trialsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #573
PABiker OP
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Helo!

I've bought one of these relocators a couple of weeks back (thank you PABiker for your generous help!), but I haven't installed it until today.

Reason for this is, that I had an accident with the bike just the day after the kit arrived, and the bike was at the dealer for a month. (It was an offroad accident, however the case didn't crack.. But almost everything else did )
I'm not sure anymore that I'm going to ride the bike offroad ever again (due to the crash).

Then I went for a week to Austria with it, to visit the factory on-road only, 1k miles.

But then I've read that one of our fellow rider has cracked the case during an onroad crash, so I felt the need for the relocator again. Actualy I'm kind of a paranoid guy, so If I read anything bad about the KTM's in this forum, I'm already starting to visualise it happening to my bike as well.

Whatever..

So today was the day, I followed the manual, but even this way it took me half a day to complete it.. I'm not the kind of guy, who would carry out a valve check, or anything involving the engine, but if there's some wrenching to do on the frame, then it's ok for me.

So I've read the manual a couple of times just to get the idea, what is going to happen:

When I ordered the kit, I already knew that I will have to remove the springs (what I did already before, but it was a PITA without the correct tool), so I bought the KTM spring puller.. I know. It's expensive, but I'm the kind of guy who loves these KTM tools & powerparts & powerwear.. (maybe I should've bought a BMW?:P)
So with the KTM spring puller, it was quite an easy job to get the spring off:

After that, I've removed the sidestand from the old mounting point as instructed by the manual (13mm hexkey)

I always clean those areas of the bike, that I'm working on.. It's not like I have this - have to clean everything - stuff like the girls do, but I don't realy clean the bike any other ways, only when wrenching on it. There is a nice (but unfortunately quite costy) product to aid this process:

Cleaning involved the side-stand itself, so it had to come apart. It was time to grease it anyway:

When undoing the big subframe bolt I felt quite a big resistance, so I knew I'll mess up the threads.. It didn't realy matter if I put pressure on the pass.peg as recommended by the manual.. Anyway.. If you crash your bike once so bad, it's almost a writeoff, then you don't realy care anymore about messing up some threads.. (you already know you won't have a chance selling it anymore:) ) So this is what it looked like:

At this point I've maybe made a wrong decision, because instead of using loctite on the new M10 bolt (I think it's not in the sidestands manual, but it's in the bikes users manual - but I know that lots of us had this thread gone, so maybe loctiting it isn't the best idea anyways), I've decided to use some grease on the bolt, hoping that the threads aren't gone yet. It worked, thread survived.. However I'll have to check that bolt I think later if it's working lose or not:

Getting the two 13mm bolts on the buttom of the bike was a PITA for me.. It just didn't wanted to align.. I had to push realy hard on the bracket to get it there, but this took me about half an hour:) I thought that I'm doing something wrong - hence the missalignment, but I think I did it correctly, and after trying and trying, it finaly worked out:)

But the real thing that it took me half a day was the fact, that I had to take off the left tank ( I hate to do this, even though I did it a hundred times before:) ), to unplug the safety-switch, and plug the extension in:

Then it was time to bolt back on the side-stand.. I cleaned the thread-locked bolts with a copper brush ( I think this is a good thing to do in order to prevent the threads ), and reloctited them:

After this I re-routed the safety-switch wire (I tend to use a lot of zip-ties, I just love them:)) It's fun:) )

This is my solution for the 950ADV:

I don't yet know what I'm going to do with the holes & the support that remained... What do you think? Pluging the holes is enough, or shall I remove the support completly? (also note the routing of the wires)

Bolted everything back up, put the sticker on, and bike is ready to go:)

However I have a little fear ( Told you already, I'm paranoid ) because of the center-stand not retracting high enough - but anything higher would hit the bracket.. So I hope it's okay this way:

That's it:) Bike is happier than ever, so am I! Thank you PABiker once again for your help! Great product!

Just one more picture about the process, because I realy enjoyed the wrenching, and taking the photos for you guys - hope you enjoyed my write-up as well:

Great write-up and pictures, thank you Andrew.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #574
PABiker OP
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trialsman View Post
This is my first post here and I have to give a big +1 to PABiker for his KTM 990 kickstand relocation bracket. The idea of cracking one of those expensive cases on my new 990 adventure was too much to bear. It just makes good sense to guard against this kind of needless damage. I bought the bracket and found installation a very easy job. While I had the stand off I welded a bigger foot to the end as it looked pretty anemic. I was going to epoxy a magnet to the sensor but decided to leave it stock and add the lengthening cable supplied with the kit. I really like the idea of steel instead of aluminum for strength. An extra pound on a 500# machine will not make a difference, but the ability to mount the bike standing on the peg with the stand down, will. As I am setting up this bike for new adventures this is one problem that is completely solved in my mind. Thanks for the initiative to produce this item - sorry no pics.

Thanks Al.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #575
PABiker OP
Anywhere but here

Thank you to everyone that has purchased my kickstand relocation bracket over the past 2 years, and thank you to ADV for allowing me to market it. I have decided that it was time to pass this product on and who better than my friend Craig of CJ Designs.

Craig will now be offering the bracket for purchase on his website at:

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...ation-bracket/

It has been a great project and I am glad that I was able to provide solution to this problem.

Thank you again,

Joe

PABiker screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 04:35 PM
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #576
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
I have decided that it was time to pass this product on and who better than my friend Craig of CJ Designs.
thanks for the design Joe. Glad you picked Craig to continue with this essential must have!

I didn't get a sticker though but it's a great product!

Cheers
Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 AM   #577
PABiker OP
Anywhere but here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
thanks for the design Joe. Glad you picked Craig to continue with this essential must have!

I didn't get a sticker though but it's a great product!

Cheers
I still have stickers, PM me your address and I will be happy to send you some.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #578
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,954
Black Friday Special!

Order the Strongest Skidplate for your KTM 950/990 ADV and the Strongest Relocation bracket together from CJ Designs and Save!!

This is the only combination we trust on our bikes and are now ready to offer it to you.

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us...um-skid-plate/

Testing in process VIDEO.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3330300297126

cjracer screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 03:42 PM
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #579
cjracer
AWD please!!

We have more KTM LC8 sidestand brackets in stock.

Ready for your summer riding season.

Don't fear those rocks! Smash them.

Now get the best Skidplate and Sidestand bracket we have found at one place!

http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/about-us...um-skid-plate/
Old 03-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #580
cjracer
AWD please!!

I know many of you have been waiting some time for this next batch and they are almost done. Heading to powder coat this week and plan to start boxing and shipping next week when they arrive.

You can get your pre-order in now to save yours.

thanks for your patience.

BTW, all you new 1190 owners.... We have a new version in the works for that bike too.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #581
cjracer
AWD please!!

These are back in stock and SALE pricing will end FRIDAY.

Backorders have started to ship!

Thanks for your patience.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #582
cjracer
AWD please!!

Thanks to the vision of Joe (PABiker) and CJ Designs to keep this product going strong over the years, we have now shipped over 1000 brackets to riders all over the world.

That is alot of saved engine cases and rider returning home from great trips. We have a special SALE going on for Spring for anyone picking up a new bike that wants to add this product or upgrade.

This is the most current version that CJ Designs has tweaked over the years to give strength for Tire bead breaking duty and fully geared up climbing on.

Thanks again for all your support and don't forget the ADVrider discount!

Safe Travels,
Craig

"Thank you to everyone that has purchased my kickstand relocation bracket over the past 2 years, and thank you to ADV for allowing me to market it. I have decided that it was time to pass this product on and who better than my friend Craig of CJ Designs.

Craig will now be offering the bracket for purchase on his website at:

It has been a great project and I am glad that I was able to provide solution to this problem.

Thank you again,
Joe"
Old 05-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #583
heathnolan
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Wondering about bracket

Hello their have seen your bracket on the site really like the product looks real beefy do you have more for sale and how much theses days
heathnolan is offline   Reply With Quote