Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
drc42 OP
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafe
I have same dream but the money for dakar is isane i was thinking the buget baja 500 or 1000 . all said and done dakar will probably run 50 grand plus no income for 2 months but hey if i didnt have kids and awife id want to go with you..
I am lucky to have a very supportive wife. Also I have no kids so the money I spend on toys are for MY toys .
Old 11-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
drc42 OP
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
Consider doing Dos Sertoes. Its still a long rally and takes place in South America. The entry fee is a lot more manageable then the Dakar. Also consider doing a multi day enduro or desert race before hand so you can get a handle on what it feels like to ride hard day after day after day.
My plan is to start with some small enduro races next summer then hopefully some multi-day events the next year (or this year if I find any).

Anybody know of any multi-day events in the northeast? I certainly need to get out to the southwest to try to race in the desert as well but due to the distance I will likely only be able to do 1 of those a year.

As far as the Dos Sertoes I have to admit that if I am going to do a big rally it will be _the_ big one. Gotta be _the_ Dakar.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
drc42 OP
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo2002
You'll need to be hard as nails to ride at pace in the Dakar for 14 days. Once you've got your basic core fitness sorted find a local crossfit gym. They'll have you eating broken glass and rusty nails in no time.

www.crossfit.com

Cheers
I had not heard of them but it does sound like some really intense training! Looks like there is one right in the area as well. Most certainly beyond me at this point but in a year or so perhaps.

I went for a big hike today with my wife. That is more my speed at this point. Getting good exercise with the hiking and I think it is starting to help strengthen my knee.

Here is where we went today, for those of you in the New Hampshire area I highly recommend this hike, great views of Lake Winnepesaki from the top.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19341104
Old 11-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Talk to my brother Dave. He lives in Canterbury, NH and finished the 2005 Dakar. When you are ready, come out to one of our Rally Schools. Let me know how I can help. We can do anything from a turn-key rally package to just answering some technical questions via email or phone. We like to help. I agree that a smaller rally is a good first step, especially if you can afford it.

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
drc42 OP
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
Talk to my brother Dave. He lives in Canterbury, NH and finished the 2005 Dakar. When you are ready, come out to one of our Rally Schools. Let me know how I can help. We can do anything from a turn-key rally package to just answering some technical questions via email or phone. We like to help. I agree that a smaller rally is a good first step, especially if you can afford it.

fun fun
Charlie
Yes, you guys are certainly on my "to call" list for when I get closer! I was looking at your web pages and certainly think going with the full support package is the way to go. The logistics of getting the bike set up and to the rally alone would be critical, not to mention the fact the Dakar organization recognizes your rally school as approved experience to enter the Dakar.

I would be VERY interested in talking first hand with an actual Dakar finisher! Especially someone local like that. Is he also an ADV member? If so can you PM his info to me?

BTW, got my Riff Raff Kilm jacket in the mail today! Very nice

drc42 screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 06:05 PM
drc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #21
DUCK BOY
WWW.ROADTOTHERALLY.COM

Oddometer: 47
I have dreamed of the Dakar since I was a little kid playing with my R/C Porsche 959 Dakar on my driveway. My plan was a little less than three years and I have worked day and night since then to make it happen. I have been very lucky to get the support from the sponsors that I have and most importantly, like you, my wife is my biggest supporter.

Currently she is 6 Months pregnant with our second child and I am sitting in front of the computer with a broken leg suffered at the Shamrock rally in Morocco with 41 days till the start. Don't worry, if you are as excited about Dakar as I am you will make this happen. I am using Rally PanAm for the full package and it was the only way I could imagine getting through it all. It will cost you more in the beginning but your chances of finishing will be much greater.

Check out my website www.roadtotherally.com and you will find some good pictures of the rally training with Rally Pan AM. Good luck on your adventures.

PS: I'm currently 209LBS. Are you calling me fat?!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #22
bootzilla
Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42
Yes, still focused on the goal. It has only been a month but I feel fitter.
This is a great goal to have - gotta dream big to do something big. Keep it up, and come spend some time here in SoCal riding trails in the desert!

5 Different Nachos
bootzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #23
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
My plan is to start with some small enduro races next summer then hopefully some multi-day events the next year (or this year if I find any).

Anybody know of any multi-day events in the northeast? I certainly need to get out to the southwest to try to race in the desert as well but due to the distance I will likely only be able to do 1 of those a year.

As far as the Dos Sertoes I have to admit that if I am going to do a big rally it will be _the_ big one. Gotta be _the_ Dakar.

I'd also suggest doing a rallymoto event. Its not the same as far as the navigation goes but it does give you a taste of high speed racing in a stage format and requires you to be at check points on time etc.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #24
drc42 OP
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCK BOY
I have dreamed of the Dakar since I was a little kid playing with my R/C Porsche 959 Dakar on my driveway. My plan was a little less than three years and I have worked day and night since then to make it happen. I have been very lucky to get the support from the sponsors that I have and most importantly, like you, my wife is my biggest supporter.

Currently she is 6 Months pregnant with our second child and I am sitting in front of the computer with a broken leg suffered at the Shamrock rally in Morocco with 41 days till the start. Don't worry, if you are as excited about Dakar as I am you will make this happen. I am using Rally PanAm for the full package and it was the only way I could imagine getting through it all. It will cost you more in the beginning but your chances of finishing will be much greater.

Check out my website www.roadtotherally.com and you will find some good pictures of the rally training with Rally Pan AM. Good luck on your adventures.

PS: I'm currently 209LBS. Are you calling me fat?!
Rick,

Yes, I have most certainly been following you via the other threads here. My heart sank when you broke your leg and you thought you would not make the Dakar. Great to hear you are on the mend and are still going to make it! Rest up, and get mentally prepared as I am sure riding Dakar with a recently healed leg will be an extra challenge (as if the Dakar itself isn't enough!).

I agree that using PanAm is the way to go. Honestly it was when I found their web site and realized that they did support for hire that got the dream started again. I have always had the dream but just the thought of the logistics overwhelmed me. Having someone like that who knows what they are doing made me realize this is achievable.

209 pounds? Yes but I would be willing to be that your ratio of muscle to fat is a bit better than mine! However I have been working on strength training and I do think I part of the reason I have not lost more weight IS because I have increased muscle (that's my story and I am sticking to it!).
Old 11-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
drc42 OP
Rally Dreamer

5 year plan (was 10)

Ok, lots of good feedback and even my wife is getting excited about the possibility (I did good when I married her!). We talked about how to afford it and it looks like this will be do-able as a 5 year plan. It will mean delaying my retirement for a few years but I would much rather do things like this when I still can.

So, I am now officially calling this my 5 year plan. Anybody know how to edit the subject of the thread?
Old 11-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #26
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,573
Quote:
Ok, lots of good feedback and even my wife is getting excited about the possibility (I did good when I married her!). We talked about how to afford it and it looks like this will be do-able as a 5 year plan. It will mean delaying my retirement for a few years but I would much rather do things like this when I still can.

So, I am now officially calling this my 5 year plan. Anybody know how to edit the subject of the thread?

Only mods can edit titles- I'll do it for you.

Good luck!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #27
drc42 OP
Rally Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

Only mods can edit titles- I'll do it for you.

Good luck!
Thanks! But can you change the 2020 to 2015 also? The 5 year plan - Dakar in 2020 title sounds like I am rather poor at math!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #28
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,573
Quote:
Thanks! But can you change the 2020 to 2015 also? The 5 year plan - Dakar in 2020 title sounds like I am rather poor at math!

Doh!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #29
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Sounds good

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:26 AM   #30
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Doh!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote