User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
More Geriatric Motocross insanity

After a cancelation due to high winds last week, I had a confirmation for my 6th class with Rich Schmidt and Motovation MX School.

I was anxious to get back on the track, but what would I ride? Rich was more than willing to lend me his CRF150F for the class, but I missed (not really) my kick ass screaming 2-stroke mini-beast. But I hadn't heard back from the shop yet. It was in for a fork seal and gremlins in the engine that were producing a dangerously high idle (See last week's class).

I had dropped it off at Hunter Motorcycle in Thornwood NY; they are a Yamaha dealer (I also own a Yamaha TW-200), but more importantly they are a family of motocross racers and I trust their judgement and repair skills. Eric (the owner) is even older than me and still rides his ass off every weekend on the track. It had been in the shop a week when I called and asked if they had a chance to look at it yet; he replied that it was done! So now I know what bike I'm going to be on....

I arrived about a half hour early and the temps are in the 50s. There's a long line of bikes waiting to get in the main track for practice as the last race of the season at Englishtown is this Sunday. Here's my sponsor and 2-stroke beastie

5Chord screwed with this post 10-17-2009 at 06:27 AM
5Chord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Rich arrived a few minutes later and after a short chit chat, I signed my insurance waver and geared up. I kicked the CR85RB to life and did several laps around some trash cans while waiting for Rich to get ready. I hadn't ridden the 2-stroke in 3 weeks so it took some time to acclimate to the bike as it usually does after a motocross hiatus. I also wasn't convinced that the engine demons were exorsized, but the little bike seemed to be running fine.

Rich came over on the CRF150F and to my surprise started the lesson on the track. We did a lap around the practice track with me following him and the next with him following me.

As we finished the second lap, Rich pulled in front and stopped me. He asked me what line I took on the first left hander and I told him I took the outside berm. He then asked me how I took the next left and I told him the same. He again asked me how I took the following right hander and as I started to tell him the outside berm, he said "Do you know where I'm going with this?" I didn't until he pointed to an inside rut. Ahhh I get it now.

In this next section I work on the inside line with the exception of the left hander right before the table top where I use the outside berm to get enough speed to take it as a double....Almost. We did this a couple dozen times, this one's not too bad

5Chord screwed with this post 10-17-2009 at 06:27 AM
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

Rich then told me it was time to do some work with a reallly good rut and he knew just the one! I can't tell you how many times I did this left hand rut, but I swear it was over 100. I had 10 videos, some 4 minutes long of me doing this over and over with 2 small get-offs. Here's one where I get some of them right........

5Chord screwed with this post 10-17-2009 at 06:29 AM
Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

This was my first crash of the day...........Fatigue setting in..

5Chord screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 05:17 AM
Old 10-15-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

And my second....Fading, fading, fading, splatt

5Chord screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 04:46 AM
Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
5Chord OP
No Short-Term Memory

I can now do that left-hander in my sleep (I actually had rutted dreams!)! You know what they say; if you throw enough spaghetti against the wall, some will eventually stick.

I did this drill until I literely ran out of gas. I learned a new trick right about then. The petcock is on the left side of the tank and there's a small amount of gas trapped on the right side that you can shake over to the left. The bike started, and got me to the van where it stalled for good
I'm wearing a camelback with watered down iced tea for this lesson. It makes a huge difference and cuts down on breaks. I won't train without it again.

I now more than ever see the limitations of the small two stroke when trying to get height and distance in the jumps. It has the power, but it's jumping out of it's skin trying to get you there...and doesn't quite make it. I will most likely have an RMZ 250 to take on my next lesson which god-willing will be next Wednesday...Ride safe everybody!

5Chord screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 05:18 AM