Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #61
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmt
Sweet ride! I always like to see other peoples 620's...it makes me feel like I'm not alone .

How many miles were the rallies were raced in? How did the old 620 do?
Try riding an ATK!!

Talk about alone!

:I'mlonelyholdme

M
Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #62
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 452
620 charging system

Anyone know the specs on the 620 charging system? I'd like to install an HID kit but I don't know if the electrical system is DC, or how much current the stock stator puts out.

Thanks,
John
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #63
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
random pics, some rxc, all 620

dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #64
terriblemog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Anyone see anything wrong with the height of this bike? It's a '97 RXC 620(as far as I know). The forks just look short to me but I am brand new to these LC4's. I understand the bike will be lower due to rim/tire size but look at where the top of the front tire is compared to the bottom of the upper fork halves. Looks different than others I've seen in this thread. When I was looking at it in person, it just didn't seem to have much fork hanging out of the bottom. Am I seeing things or not? No, I didn't pull up on the front to see how far out they would extend. Thought about that on the way home, it was bitch cold.
Thanks for any input.

terriblemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 PM   #65
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,280
are the forks at the top of the triple clamp or is it droped an inch or so..

looks like a lc4 with 17'' wheels to me.. they have a downward posture all is normal... might want to get a set of 18/21 wheels with some knobs though if you are wantin to ride anything more than a dirt road..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #66
kg4lho
Outside Sellin'

Oddometer: 1,081
Wow, five pages of talk about the older LC4/RXCs??? Had mine since last march, '98 with the lectric leg. Tons of fun! Just need to fit the 39mm FCR on it and do a few other things.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If any man hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to him and will sup with him, and he with me." Jesus, Revelation 3:20

My KTM 620 RXC & Where I Ride.

Whats in the stable
'91 Honda ST1100
'98 KTM 620RXC
'99 Honda VFR800
kg4lho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:53 AM   #67
terriblemog
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
are the forks at the top of the triple clamp or is it droped an inch or so..

looks like a lc4 with 17'' wheels to me.. they have a downward posture all is normal... might want to get a set of 18/21 wheels with some knobs though if you are wantin to ride anything more than a dirt road..
They're not slipped up in the clamp. And you're right about the 17's. My concern was about the length of the lower fork, or inner fork. I'm used to seeing 11"-13"(guess) of chrome hanging out and this appears to have 8"-10". Could be broken spring I guess, but the rest of the pics here have the top of the tire about even with the top of the chrome and the one I showed is nowhere near that. I just didn't know if they had some different SM forks or something on there. And roger that on the 18 and 21 combo. Searching for a cheap set right now. Anyone know what size axle a '97 should have up front?

I'll see if I can't get a better pic sometime this weekend.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #68
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblemog
They're not slipped up in the clamp. And you're right about the 17's. My concern was about the length of the lower fork, or inner fork. I'm used to seeing 11"-13"(guess) of chrome hanging out and this appears to have 8"-10". Could be broken spring I guess, but the rest of the pics here have the top of the tire about even with the top of the chrome and the one I showed is nowhere near that. I just didn't know if they had some different SM forks or something on there. And roger that on the 18 and 21 combo. Searching for a cheap set right now. Anyone know what size axle a '97 should have up front?

I'll see if I can't get a better pic sometime this weekend.
i think duke 620 forks have longer upper tubes/ shorter lowers, hence less suspension travel. just a theory...
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #69
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

I have a set of 620 Duke forks and 620 SC forks. The Duke forks have much less travel (shorter lowers) and are quite a bit shorter overall. The upper fork tube diameters are also different than the offroad forks, although the lowers are still 40mm.

The Duke forks also don't have an offset axle, so the triple clamps have more offset to compensate. Although the Duke uses the same frame, steering geometry is quite different because the lower front end effectively decreases rake angle. I believe the Duke's overall offset (triple clamp + axle) is less than the offroad models, in order to compensate for the lower front end and restore some trail to the geometry. The visual effect is that the bike looks hunched over compared to the dirt bikes (which I think looks cool).

One other fun fact about 620 Duke forks is that they have brake mounting brackets on both fork legs, i.e. they are setup for dual disc brakes. The hubs never supported dual discs though. I always wondered if the fork lowers were sourced from another bike that had twin calipers. To me, they look exactly like mid-90's Ducati fork lowers, in addition to using the same diameter discs and the same brake calipers (320mm, 4-piston brembo goldlines).

Having said all that, the bike in the picture doesn't look like a Duke to me.

John
Old 01-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #70
terriblemog
Adventurer

Thanks for the clarification at the end. I was getting dizzy with all the duke info. I noticed the SiTec racing sticker on the fork, maybe I'll call and see if they can give me any info.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #71
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,721
I need a clamp that's discontinued by KTM. It's on the very lower end of the left fork, and it holds the brake line in place. The axle pinch bolts hold it down. I'm sure this is a long shot, but would any of you guys have a spare one available?
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #72
terriblemog
Adventurer

Well I just talked to the people that did the suspension(sticker on the fork). Believe it or not he actually remembered the bike/job. Basically it was set up for racing SM. The front has shorter springs in it and front and rear revalved for the SM setup. I'm not sure if I want to just try it like this, have it redone back to stock specs(travel, not so much stock valving) or get a second set of forks since they're so easy to swap out, and have 2 totally different setups. I will probably be on the street most of the time but I will do a couple DS rides a year, multi day ones, that is. Any suggestions? What forks will slide into these trees?(what years/bikes crossover)?
Thanks again
Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #73
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

The 43mm WP forks (used on later LC4's, up to about 2003) can bolt into the 40mm triple clamps, and vice versa. The later 48mm WP forks won't (too big). The 43mm forks have a different axle (20mm vs. 17mm), wheel hub, and brake caliper mounting pattern (I think). Also if you put 43mm forks in 40mm triple clamps, you will probably need custom wheel spacers since the fork spacing changed.

It's pretty cheap to find a set of long-travel 40mm forks. They come up on ebay all the time, sometimes as low as $50. 17mm axles and wheels can be had similarly cheap. I think it would be cool to have 2 complete sets of forks with different springs, wheels, and brakes. Then when you switch to supermoto you just slide the old forks back in the clamps. The one hassle is the brake system. You can either unbolt the supermoto caliper and bolt it to the dirtbike forks, or get a complete second system and change master cylinders on the handlebars every time you swap.

If you are doing some serious off-road riding you will definitely be happier with the long travel forks and 21" wheel. If you're just riding gravel fire roads you'll probably be fine with the SM setup.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #74
terriblemog
Adventurer

Awesome!! Thats the info I've been searching for. Thanks! I just went on ebay and searched for 40 and 43 mm forks. One more question. When looking for these, does it matter what size/year/make of bike they came off of, or is a 40mm WP a 40mm WP? Didn't know if the caliper brackets varied alot or what. It would be nice to be able to use the same caliper and just unbolt when swapping out forks. I'm starting to get all giggly inside!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #75
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,218
KTM has suprising interchangeability in the wheel/brake department compared to Japanese bikes. I know that's not a yes/no answer, but if you go onto the parts diagrams and the bikes have the same p/n caliper and the same diameter rotor, the brake mounts will work.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote