User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #76
stream
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
My old 95 love it but parts are getting hard to find. I got the dellorto
dailed in runs great. One kick cold and sometimes 2 or 3 hot.
jerry
Attached Images

stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #77
stream
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Not sure what happened to the rest of the pic?
This is my $1500.00 front brake. No i would never spend
that on a brake setup it was on when i bought it. Speigler
8 piston caliper it sure does stop.
jerry
Attached Images

stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #78
ifstewart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21

Here's my 98 620 in dirt trim. I have Sumo set up as well, but Hawaii isn't down with my non DOT blinkers, headlight, tailight, so I'm all dirt for a while. Crazy hill climb power, but heavy big fat pig on technical stuff!
ifstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #79
terriblemog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Stream, any more pics?
Am I the only one who can't see ifstewart's pic?
terriblemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #80
demononthebrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Hey folks 1 question
How does your RXC do cooling-wise? I tried the computer fan mod but they (I put 2 on it) broke after a couple months of hard riding. If I lug mine around at anything under 15 mph or so its not long before its time to pull over and let it cool off to prevent overheating. Slow single track or bumper to bumper traffic is a nightmare within a few minutes.
I already run Water Wetter in it btw.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #81
mbmt OP
Adventure bound

Oddometer: 110
I have another question for my fellow 620 riders. For those of you that have swapped out the Edlebrock for the FCR, what throttle cables did you use and where did you get them? My cables from the edlebrock are not going to work. Any advise would help.

Mark
1996 KTM 620 RXC (sold)
1974 Honda XR75 (in pieces in the dump, somewhere...)
mbmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #82
terriblemog
Adventurer

On that note, I believe this one has a Mikuni on it. Any input?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #83
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,743
1997 620 Rxc

Here is mine, bought new in '97. Mods include:
'96 Duke wheels with Braking rotors
SXC muffler (I had a Big Gun system on it at one time and what a piece of junk! Poorly made and WAY TOO LOUD!)
Mikuni TM40 pumper carb
Tag 1 1/8" bars with Acerbis Rally handguards
Heated grips
Gel seat
Scotts sharkfin
Touratech tailbag
RAM mounts for GPS and rollchart holder

When I put the TM40 on I took it to a dyno to have it jetted correctly and the numbers were 47.7 hp and 40.8 ft.-lbs. torque. Gearing it 15/42 but in the woods I think a 44 or 45 rear will be even better. 16/40 goes on with the supermoto setup.

I've found that sliding the fork up a little in the triple clamps helps the steering quite a bit when running the 21/18" off road wheels but not really needed with the 17" wheels.

Someone asked about throttle cables. When I did my carb conversion I got a throttle assembly from a KTM 520 (Domino) and extended 520 cables from Motion Pro. Which reminds me of a very special mod: handlebar clamps and risers from Jimmy Lewis' '96 Dakar rally bike. That's why the extended cables.

Another person asked about fitting a Scotts steering damper. I think the answer is no. My wife got me the damper, a mount from Stenhouse racing and post from Emig Racing for Xmas 2 years ago. Post would not fit, then called Scotts and they said didn't have any posts that would work due to how close the stock tank comes to the top triple clamp. You might be able to fit a post with a different tank like the KTM safari tank, an Adventure tank or a tank from a 1999 or newer 640e. All of which also require a different seat. I would love to hear a success story of someone fitting a Scotts to an RXC.

From last May on a DS ride.

An older photo of it in dirt mode.

Great idea for a thread and I love to see the older LC4s!!
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #84
mbmt OP
Adventure bound

Oddometer: 110
Seat

Where did you get the gel seat?

Thats a sweet RXC!
1996 KTM 620 RXC (sold)
1974 Honda XR75 (in pieces in the dump, somewhere...)
mbmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #85
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmt
Where did you get the gel seat?

Thats a sweet RXC!
Thanks mbmt.

The stock seat eventually got ripped and badly discolored so I sent it to Travelcade to be recovered, they asked if I wanted gel insert so I said yes. It doesn't make it that much more comfortable.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #86
terriblemog
Adventurer

Definitely nice!

I have an axle adapting question. I found it somewhere before, but can't seem to find it now. Anyway, I found a set of 43mm forks, 20mm axle. I also found a set of wheels, front is a 17mm. Is there a bearing that allows me to run a 20mm axle in an originally equipped 17mm axle, or adapters to allow me to run a 17mm axle in forks with a 20mm axle hole?
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #87
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 454
I looked into this once before. There is no bearing to adapt a 17mm hub to a 20mm axle. The hub itself is different and there is no standard size bearing to fit the old hub that has a 20mm inner diameter. You can find more than you ever wanted to know about bearing sizes here:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/bearing.htm

Your best bet is to find sleeves and a spacer to adapt the 17mm axle to 20mm fork clamps. Then use the 17mm axle and wheel. Such a sleeve exists for 26mm -> 20mm, but not 20mm -> 17mm. I think Sommer KTM and Twisted Throttle had one a long time ago but it is no longer produced.

Here is the 26mm -> 20mm adapter, you would probably need to have a machinist make something similar:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=7

With any luck you might find an existing kit for another type of bike that only requires custom spacers. 17mm and 20mm were common axle sizes for Japanese sport bikes and Ducati's in the late 90's.

John
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #88
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 454
On the steering damper issue, I have a post that fits between the stock tank and triple clamp. It is a very tight fit but it seems to work. I have not finished assembling everything but will take pictures when I do.

Basically I took a post mount from a mid 90's dirt bike that bolts to the frame. Then I ground it down to position it closer to the steering head. I had to use a button-head screw on the steering head clamp but it barely clears the post.

John
katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #89
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
another problem solved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb
I looked into this once before. There is no bearing to adapt a 17mm hub to a 20mm axle. The hub itself is different and there is no standard size bearing to fit the old hub that has a 20mm inner diameter. You can find more than you ever wanted to know about bearing sizes here:

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/bearing.htm

Your best bet is to find sleeves and a spacer to adapt the 17mm axle to 20mm fork clamps. Then use the 17mm axle and wheel. Such a sleeve exists for 26mm -> 20mm, but not 20mm -> 17mm. I think Sommer KTM and Twisted Throttle had one a long time ago but it is no longer produced.

Here is the 26mm -> 20mm adapter, you would probably need to have a machinist make something similar:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...93&postcount=7

With any luck you might find an existing kit for another type of bike that only requires custom spacers. 17mm and 20mm were common axle sizes for Japanese sport bikes and Ducati's in the late 90's.

John
6 pages and counting, good work folks. Somebody check into the spacers here: http://www.flattrackaccessories.com/FWheel.shtml

there must be an easy solution there. look at all the progress we're making here. now on to the steering stabilizer problem....

btw, beez'z bike looks alot better than mine with those yellow no. plates, for some reason
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #90
Jeff620RXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmt
I have another question for my fellow 620 riders. For those of you that have swapped out the Edlebrock for the FCR, what throttle cables did you use and where did you get them? My cables from the edlebrock are not going to work. Any advise would help.

Mark
You could get them from Motion Pro http://www.motionpro.com/
Jeff620RXC is offline   Reply With Quote