Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #91
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by katumo_jtb
On the steering damper issue, I have a post that fits between the stock tank and triple clamp. It is a very tight fit but it seems to work. I have not finished assembling everything but will take pictures when I do.

Basically I took a post mount from a mid 90's dirt bike that bolts to the frame. Then I ground it down to position it closer to the steering head. I had to use a button-head screw on the steering head clamp but it barely clears the post.

John
Colin/loaded/stenhouse told me that the post is located 40mm from the centerline of the triple clamp. on mine, that was almost to the gas cap...

somebody else recommended putting the post at 12 oclock, would have to delete the stock speedo etc. looking forward to your pics

Re FCR conversion, here is a slamdunk deal

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=93514

its a 41 off a ktm smr450 with throttle tube, cables, jd jet kit, fuel screw for $300
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #92
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Oddometer: 456
steering damper

Here is my steering damper setup. I got everything mocked up and took some pictures. I started with a Scott's post mount and top bar clamp. I ground down the front of the post mount to move it forward from the gas tank. Then I drilled/tapped the bar clamp for an Emig stabilizer (cuz that's what I have). I used the Emig lower bar clamp and stabilizer post (the Emig post fits in the Scott's post mount).

The clearance at the tank is very tight but I think it should work. There's a chance it could rub a little -- I have to get everything assembled so I can ride it and find out. I tested with the 4 gallon tank, but the stock tank has the same profile where it counts.

Here are the pictures, you can click them for larger versions.

Full lock left:

Full lock right:

I tried using a post mount that wraps around the steering neck, but it interfered with both the triple clamp and the gas tank. The post mount I'm using is from a mid-90's 2 stroke. It has a very narrow side profile so it barely fits in front of the tank, and the front bolt is low enough to clear the the triple clamp. The only drawback is that it requires drilling the frame for the center bolt.

katumo_jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #93
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
What are the important trouble spots to look closely at when looking at a used RXC 620? I've seen a '97 model that has captured my attention.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #94
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW
What are the important trouble spots to look closely at when looking at a used RXC 620? I've seen a '97 model that has captured my attention.
i'm on my 2nd 97. Carb tuning plays a huge part in how they start and how they run. if it starts easily and wheelies at will, the biggest weaknesses have been sorted out.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #95
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Ummm....seller says it's an EXC....can't find any info on EXCs in 620 from 97. Found some SX models though. THis one's titled and palted, and looks more like the SX to me....but what do I know. It's orange...and the RXCs I've seen from 97 were white.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #96
terriblemog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Should be getting mine sometime this weekend! Already have forks/wheels/etc. on the way.
terriblemog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #97
bar11
bar11

Oddometer: 13
97 sx620

I have a 97 sx 620 and I'm guessing that it is pretty much the same bike as the rcx without the battery.? I was wondering where I can find a fan to mount to it as it overheats in traffik on the way to the woods. also I was going to do a carb swap any Im thinkin fcr but unsure as to the size?? I'd liike something that is a bolt on and go Thanks yes I'm a noooobie.http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/ear.gif
bar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #98
terriblemog
Adventurer

OK, the guy I was getting my rear wheel from sold it 20 minutes before I got there.
Question: What years can I shop for for a stock replacement for this bike? ('97 RXC 620) Are newer models able to just spin around and work? I wouldn't think it would be that easy? Also, am I correct in thinking it is an 18" wheel?
Thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #99
terriblemog
Adventurer

New question. Is there a quick easy way to tell the difference between a 400 and a 620?(actual engine wise, not the bike) And will a 620 fit in a 400 frame? I'm hoping I didn't just get shorted 220cc's.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #100
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,115
http://173.74.246.25/munnracing/cata...RANG%20%28D%29

there is a mark just under the coolant outlet I believe that says 4c or 6b ... they are the same bike but different cylinder/piston...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #101
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

You could check the carb. 620 should have a 40mm, 400 probably 38? Also sometimes a VIN decoder will tell you:

http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/ktm.asp
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #102
terriblemog
Adventurer

OK, there's a 4c mark on it. The vin, according to insurance states 400. I know this engine has had work done, how much could be done to this while retaining the original 400 jug? How much of a difference is there between the two as far as off road and/or on road performance? I was actually looking at the DRZ 400 to begin with so I'm not too upset unless the 400 is not near as reliable as the 620's I've read so much about.
Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, I believe it's a bts 40 carb on it. Any quick tips on identifying that? It looks just like the one laramie has a link for cleaning and the number on the side starts with 40.
Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #103
katumo_jtb
bogus journeyer

Sounds like you have a 400. I think the stock carb was a DellOrto PHM38SD (my 620 has the PHM40SD). But there's no reason a BST40 wouldn't work if jetted properly.

I think the 400 should be more reliable than the 620, given it has the same bottom end, valve train, transmission, etc. Everything is built to withstand the power of a 620, just with a smaller jug. If it has enough power for what you want to do, it should be a great bike.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #104
terriblemog
Adventurer

Great. That's what I was hoping. Not for a 400, but it's reliability. If I decided the 400 wasn't enough, is it as easy to go to a 620 as swapping jug/piston? Crank and rod the same? What about the head?
Will I still be allowed to hang out in the 620 thread?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 PM   #105
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I've got a '98 RXCe400 I bought new. Like stated before, it's built to handle 620 power so it's quite under-stressed. I BST'd it a number of years ago. Got the carb off e-bay for 50 bucks and had MotionPro build me some custom cables so I could run my stock throttle barrel. Bike runs great. I don't think it will ever die. It's a little soft on power compared to a DRZ400S but it's close. Sometimes riding a slower bike fast is more fun than riding a faster bike slow...?!??
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote