Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #46
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,648
I have been thinking about what to ride next year overseas. I'm gonna do a ride with the guys from Vibes, the Japanese chopper magazine. We're gonna go from Germany to the Harley Super Rally in Greece. Then in late summer, I want to ride down & check out the middle east.
I've had this shovel for sale, but as the market for these is real soft, & I dont have much in it, I figure I'll butcher it up & take it over there.
Of course the only parts I will probably use is the motor, trans & front part of the frame. I've got an old 30's harley VL springer layin around, & I'll hardtail the frame.

the way it looks now......

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #47
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug
jeezuz!

its not in any of the pics that I can see, but yeah, there a poster a friend of mine gave me with adolf & it says 'when I come back, no more mr nice guy' its tacked to the wall, mostly covered by a stack of books.
Its been up there about 10 years & covered in dust & gas fumes. Im sorry I didnt take it down. I forgot it was even there. If you are that easily offended, then shut the door of your cubicle & dont open it again.
Im not a nazi, a skinhead, a satanist, a black panther, a southern baptist, a militant lesbian, or any other hate group.
I have some things that people may not like. I have some things that people may like. theres crap shoved in every corner. Im not gonna sanitize my garage on the offchance that someone may look at it with a microscope & find something they dont like.

Anyhow, its my garage, you arent required to come in.

now back to the bikes.......

Doug
Some people are a bit too "politically correct" My Grandfather was a WW1 Veteran and when he passed away I remember seeing an old German Navy WW1 "Battle Ensign Flag" among his war souveniers. I found a WW1 German Battle Ensign decal which I attached to my old BMW sidehack rig....I think it is a cool design. I was approached by some moron at a rally a few years ago and he asked me if anyone gives me shit about my "Nazi" flag. I informed him that this was a WW1 ensignia and the "Nazi" thing was one war later.....he looked at me like I was some sort of radical....what a fuckin idiot......

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992

bmwhacker screwed with this post 10-21-2009 at 08:00 AM
bmwhacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #48
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,799
I hate nazis with the rest of the treehuggers but I still cant find a damn flag anywhere.

Doug, what do you use to ship bikes over to Europe?

I'm also glad youre an ambassador for us. Making the US look good in the eyes of the rest of the world. Thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #49
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
it runs pretty damn good with the Jawa carb, I dont think I'll be in any hurry to replace it. Its not like Im doing a 100 point resto on it.
I would have thought it was older, with the remote float bowl.
They didn't switchover to a center-slide-carb until sometime early in the eighties (80 or 82 I think).

Btw. I think I have like 5 to 10 such carbs flying around in my shed (used to wrench on Jawas a few years ago). So if you need something, just let me know!

Btw.: Really like your bikes and attitude towards fixing bikes...

Greg
nanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #50
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
I hate nazis with the rest of the treehuggers but I still cant find a damn flag anywhere.

Doug, what do you use to ship bikes over to Europe?

I'm also glad youre an ambassador for us. Making the US look good in the eyes of the rest of the world. Thanks
on my RTW trips, airfreight I use motorcycle express. in 08 I tried to ship a 40' container of bikes thru panalpina, & they screwed everything up, & I had to fly back & deal with the idiots. I ended up sending a big crate of dirtbikes thru them, still a bunch of problems, & they broke the crate. I know a guy that does a container to-from bikeweek every year, & I will put the shovel in his stuff. Will cost about 800, & will be there a month later.

I dunno that I make a very good ambassador, and dunno how good I make the US look. I just try to be nice to people I meet, & I dont talk politics with them

Doug

Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #51
rtwdoug OP
prominent underachiever

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanno
They didn't switchover to a center-slide-carb until sometime early in the eighties (80 or 82 I think).

Btw. I think I have like 5 to 10 such carbs flying around in my shed (used to wrench on Jawas a few years ago). So if you need something, just let me know!

Btw.: Really like your bikes and attitude towards fixing bikes...

Greg
Thanks Greg,
I'll keep that in mind. looks like a real simple carb, nothing to really wear out, & the slide works fine now.

I like Linz, lots of cool old buildings, and the small road from there to Salzburg is real nice. You ever been to Hallstat & seen the Bone House?
its a cool place. well, cool if you like looking at human skulls all decorated & painted up

Doug

Old 10-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #52
nanno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Thanks Greg,
I'll keep that in mind. looks like a real simple carb, nothing to really wear out, & the slide works fine now.

I like Linz, lots of cool old buildings, and the small road from there to Salzburg is real nice. You ever been to Hallstat & seen the Bone House?
its a cool place. well, cool if you like looking at human skulls all decorated & painted up
I think I was there as a child (when I was 7 or 8 and thought it was pretty creepy).

Why don't you stop over, when you have your ride from Germany to Greece... ?

Cheers,
Greg
nanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #53
Otherguy
First World Traveler

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Doug,

I've searched high and low for a seat like that for my '04 FXDX. Something to put me higher and closer to the tank. Any ideas on where to look?
Otherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #54
xmonger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by What?
Somebody might get offended.
I'm offended by people that get easily offended. What do you suggest we do about that?
xmonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #55
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
[quote=rtwdoug]It was suggested to me that instead of having 20 something threads with different projects, to just do one thread, & lump everything in here.

Ya know you can ask a Mod. to merge all the threads you want into one thread- like both RTW rides or all the threads you have if'n you want- give it a new name or whatever. Mods can do that stuff
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #56
RogerMason
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
I have been thinking about what to ride next year overseas. I'm gonna do a ride with the guys from Vibes, the Japanese chopper magazine. We're gonna go from Germany to the Harley Super Rally in Greece. Then in late summer, I want to ride down & check out the middle east.
I've had this shovel for sale, but as the market for these is real soft, & I dont have much in it, I figure I'll butcher it up & take it over there.
Of course the only parts I will probably use is the motor, trans & front part of the frame. I've got an old 30's harley VL springer layin around, & I'll hardtail the frame.

great looking shovel. What year is it.. Hope you document the conversion on this one..

Roger
Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #57
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by What?
Before you do that, you might want to take down the poster of Adolf Hitler. Somebody might get offended.
They're everywhere aren't they Doug?
UncleDirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #58
Whitehorse03
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:

IMHO.. I wouldn't chop it up.... Just make what ya have better.....

What i seen around ,,, A good VL springer might pay for your trip over????
Whitehorse03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #59
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,475
Doug, when I said shovel, it was my intention that you have a suspension for your next ride. You really want another hardtail ride man? Hardcore dood, hardcore.
UncleDirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #60
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Doug,
Thought you might like to view this 1947 Moto Guzzi Superalce. Looks very similar to yours but with two sets of handle bars. It even has the bacon slicer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1947-...t_21430wt_1167
sraber is online now   Reply With Quote