Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
jalles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Is there anything like wr250r that weighs 50lbs less?

I currently own a DRZ400S. While I like the bike quite a bit, I find it intimidating. Itís either too tall, too heavy, or perhaps both. I also wish it had a 6-speed for the highway. I briefly owned a DR200, and while not the most modern bike it was FUN! It felt completely uncrashable and unintimidating. Take into account Iím a crap rider, but Iíll be covering the full gambit, single-track, double-track, forest roads and pavement. I donít have a truck with a trailer so I have to ride to the dirt.

I donít think the bike I want exists but hereís what Iíd like:

Seat Height < 35 in (I donít want to lower the bike)
Weight < 270 lbs (wet)
Factory dual-sport
Fuel injection
Low maintenance
Capable of cruising at ~70mph with the engine @ about 75% rpms (3/4 till redline)

If the Yamaha WR250R was a couple of inches shorter or about 40lbs lighter I think it would be perfect. A Husqvarna TE310 looks pretty nice too if it wasnít for the gearing and maintenance.

So am I forgetting and/or clueless about some option? Anything someone might recommend?
jalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalles View Post
A Husqvarna TE310 looks pretty nice too if it wasn’t for the gearing and maintenance.
i haven't ridden that one. but the huskys i've ridden that are great dirt bikes kinda suck on the road.

you are looking for the same holy grail many people have been looking for for a long time.

if you happen to find it, let us all know, OK?

(while you're at it, can you find us a knobby tire that actually hooks up in mud but also lasts at least several thousand miles on the road? )
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
I currently own a DRZ400S. While I like the bike quite a bit, I find it intimidating. Itís either too tall, too heavy, or perhaps both. I also wish it had a 6-speed for the highway. I briefly owned a DR200, and while not the most modern bike it was FUN! It felt completely uncrashable and unintimidating. Take into account Iím a crap rider, but Iíll be covering the full gambit, single-track, double-track, forest roads and pavement. I donít have a truck with a trailer so I have to ride to the dirt.

I donít think the bike I want exists but hereís what Iíd like:

Seat Height < 35 in (I donít want to lower the bike)
Weight < 270 lbs (wet)
Factory dual-sport
Fuel injection
Low maintenance
Capable of cruising at ~70mph with the engine @ about 75% rpms (3/4 till redline)

If the Yamaha WR250R was a couple of inches shorter or about 40lbs lighter I think it would be perfect. A Husqvarna TE310 looks pretty nice too if it wasnít for the gearing and maintenance.

So am I forgetting and/or clueless about some option? Anything someone might recommend?
Gear up your DRZ & install Rekluse auto clutch. Way cheaper & will change your view of the DRZ.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Gear up your DRZ & install Rekluse auto clutch. Way cheaper & will change your view of the DRZ.
it's still way too heavy for single track.

(i ride a DRZ. i love it. great bike. but it's not capable of being a really good single track bike because of the weight. imho, at least. BTDT...still there, still doing it.)
Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #5
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
If the Yamaha WR250R was a couple of inches shorter or about 40lbs lighter I think it would be perfect.
Yamaha is the bike you want, but you're a bit fixated with height and weight. Go sit on one and take a note of how much lower you would wish it to be. If it is no more than a couple of inches or so, then go buy one and have it lowered. The weight will be magically reduced by just having the CG dropped by that amount. Height affects a lot the subjective feeling of weight.
Lowering can be a very cheap job if done right. A typical trick is to lace a 17 rim behind in place of the stock 18, another is to place a spacer in the rear shock to reduce the amount it can extent. Both can be done of course at the same time. The front is even easier, you just slide the forks in the yokes. If you are light enough, then there is no chance of having clearance problems, if not, stiffer springs and possibly a revalve will do the trick.

Nothing to worry about!

PS wr250r is a lot better balanced than the drz, so even if it is not much lighter, it feels like it is.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,267
Have you ridden a WR-R?

On paper the weight is similar to the DRZ & the seat is only slightly lower but to me the WR felt a lot lower & lighter to ride, it must carry it's weight a lot lower. You can lower the WR a little with the std adjustment on the shock & carve a bunch out of the seat too.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Why not lower a wr250 a bit, and put it on a diet? Or a lower seat of some sort.

People seem to claim that the wr250 carries its weight much better than fx. the drz, so it might already feel 10-20 pounds lighter than you would imagine, then a 10 pound diet, and you've got just about you're dreambike.

I totally love the wr's, im just to cheap, and in to deep on my current bike.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,592
Shave weight on the DR-Z, as the DR-Z400E is notably lighter than the S. Then follow the recommendation of gearing and a Rekluse clutch, with some suspension lowering and/or seat shaving.

If you aren't already, do some rigorous strength training too. The DR-Z will seem much lighter when you're strong like bull.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
Why not lower a wr250 a bit, and put it on a diet? Or a lower seat of some sort.

People seem to claim that the wr250 carries its weight much better than fx. the drz, so it might already feel 10-20 pounds lighter than you would imagine, then a 10 pound diet, and you've got just about you're dreambike.

+1.

The WRR can be lowered by 1" just by turning a nut on the shock, then drop the forks in the clamps and you're good to go. Pull all the "extra" crap off the bike (charcoal canister, stock pipe, exhaust flapper, AIS garbage, etc), swap out the "whale tail" for a tail tidy, and viola, 30lbs lighter.

I loved my old DRZ, but the WRR feels like a bicycle by comparison. Less rotating mass and lower COG make it feel much lighter than the spec sheet would indicate.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Have you considered waiting for a KTM Freeride 350? They are allegedly supposed to be available in NA street legal. Not sure on service intervals but it is a seriously detuned version of their 350 motor. comes with a 35" seat height, 220lbs, EFI, 6 spd should be good for highway speeds.

I think the others are correct though, the wr250r is the closest thing right now...
Old 12-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
The 2012 TE250 with the OEM dirt gearing meets the letter of all your requirements except that it's a Husky. I don't know of any other bikes that do. But frankly, if you're going to ride it on the freeway I doubt you'd be happy with it.

Diamond Mill to I-5 is a big spread in ability. Try ordering your requirements by importance and see what shows up when you get rid of the bottom ones. Offhand, I'd start by ditching the requirement for low seat height and EFI. For $600 you can have any bike properly lowered and jetted for you.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post

You can lower the Yam 1 inch just adjusting the shock. You can lower it another inch with a Yamalink. I have both and prolly too low. I may go back up a little with the shock adjustment.

You can probably lose a few lbs going to an aftermarket muffler. Prolly a little more weight with race bars and other odds and ends like alu sprocket and a non O-ring GP chain. Maybe another 3 lbs with one of those new fandangled batterys. Probably can't find 50 lbs, but maybe 20-25. Prolly not that cheap to do, though. The rear subframe is steel, so pretty heavy, but you can carry a load without worry.

Personally, at 300lbs wet, its not so heavy. If you want really light and easy to ride, a 200 KTM is as good as it gets. But you need to trailer.

I think the little Yam the best thing going for what you need.

If that 2012 KTM 350 is really a dual sport like they say, maye that is a better choice, but I doubt it would bee too handy at 70 on an interstate. Not to mention the cost of the thing.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
If you want really light and easy to ride, a 200 KTM is as good as it gets.
now THAT is a single track bike.

but, obviously, is a no go on the road.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
At the moment there is no better do it all bike under 300 lbs than the WRR Yamaha. That will someday change I am sure.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 685
My mid nineties husaberg 600 weighs a whopping 250lbs dry or thereabouts. Not fuel injected of course, nor does it have e-start, but it's got a 6 speed gearbox, and titled for the road :)
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote