ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
supertrapp packing blowing out

hi, i have a supertrapp superlight muffler on my 02 bmw dakar 650, its the internal disc baffles inside the muffler type and my fiberglass packing keeps blowing out. im talking 100 miles and a third of the packing blows out already. im packing it in there pretty tight and wrapping tape around. i heard the pink strand looking stuff is better? anyone have any good luck with another type of packing? i never had this problem with other mufflers before including the supertrapp with the exposed discs,fmf, pro curcuit, stockers and others.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,053
Kub,

Find the STRING type of packing. It should stay on place.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/187/4012/ITEM/FMF-Four-Stroke-Silencer-

Packing.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch


And buy more than you think you'll need as it packs down pretty good.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Kub,

Find the STRING type of packing. It should stay on place.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/187/4012/ITEM/FMF-Four-Stroke-Silencer-

Packing.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch


And buy more than you think you'll need as it packs down pretty good.
i was looking at the fmf string stuff like you were saying. ok i will try it out. thanks!
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
The Jester
Studly Adventurer
 
The Jester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Cornwall, UK
Oddometer: 770
I use a length of 3" plastic drain pipe when repacking. Place small amounts of packing into the sleeve, surrounding the core, and use the drain pipe to firm it down after each handfull.
__________________
Life is not a rehearsal!


The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
I use a length of 3" plastic drain pipe when repacking. Place small amounts of packing into the sleeve, surrounding the core, and use the drain pipe to firm it down after each handfull.
thats a good idea. i think i know why the supertrapp is blowing the packing out so fast. i started out with 14 discs and took out the core to try out 8 discs to quiet it down, it didnt lose any packing with 14 discs that i could see, now with only 8 discs the extra backpressure is routing the flow through the core and poacking and out the space between the baffle and can, its a pretty tight fit but i noticed balls of packing stuck inbetween the space. so im going with the strand packing and back to 14 discs so the flow is out the discs not trying to get out of the cracks and spaces.i always used masking tape around the packing and wondering if a thin wire wrapped around would work better?
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
The Jester
Studly Adventurer
 
The Jester's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Cornwall, UK
Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
thats a good idea. i think i know why the supertrapp is blowing the packing out so fast. i started out with 14 discs and took out the core to try out 8 discs to quiet it down, it didnt lose any packing with 14 discs that i could see, now with only 8 discs the extra backpressure is routing the flow through the core and poacking and out the space between the baffle and can, its a pretty tight fit but i noticed balls of packing stuck inbetween the space. so im going with the strand packing and back to 14 discs so the flow is out the discs not trying to get out of the cracks and spaces.i always used masking tape around the packing and wondering if a thin wire wrapped around would work better?
Sounds reasonable. A fine stainless gauze wired around the core tube helps protect the packing a bit. Stuffing loose packing when the core is already inserted into the sleeve means that there is no need to tape or wire the packing it is easier to pack.
__________________
Life is not a rehearsal!


The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #7
kubiak OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Sounds reasonable. A fine stainless gauze wired around the core tube helps protect the packing a bit. Stuffing loose packing when the core is already inserted into the sleeve means that there is no need to tape or wire the packing it is easier to pack.
thats another good idea, im going to see how the latest setup works and go from there, hopefully with more discs and the core sealed up the packing will stay in there longer.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014