ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,164
Helena Handbasket: Helena Area ADV Riders' Union

This thread is dedicated to the Helena, MT area riders.

Helena riders list. If you wanted removed, or added, pipe up.

Bald-Hunter
Bee
Big Red One
Blackgypsy
Chadx
Cheap Ryder
dustinmt
hilandfrog
Hound Dawg
jjmyzrider
KHuddy
Lambo3
mbmt
push bars
RudyS2MT
SingletrackJ
Speedster
threerun
TrailPimp979
turnenem
wompster
zzo

Chadx screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 09:36 AM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

I guess I'll post up to get things rolling. Since most of us have met, or at least bantered on this forum, some of this info will be repetitive, but for lurkers or new members, it might be nice to post up what kind of bikes/terrain you want to ride and a general availability schedule.

I have streetbikes, dual sports, and off-road bikes so I'm up for any terrain and length of ride, though I prefer dual sport rides avoiding the black top.

I'm available most weekends and often weekdays (after 4PM or so). A little late in the season now, but I'll definitely organize and/or post up some rides in the future. Cold is not an issue so I'm still game for winter rides (I've been riding the 30 minute rides to work at 20 degrees. Heated gear is a wonderful thing).

Looking forward to some rides and for some BBQs or get-togethers in general.

Chadx screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 05:45 AM
Old 10-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

53 degrees at 6AM, a predicted high of 64 with only 20% chance of precip? That's touring weather!

If anyone is game for a long ride today, PM or email me. Not sure what time I'll be leaving. Some of the good trails closed Oct. 15, but there are still plenty open. If anyone would prefer to avoid the tighter trails and just do gravel roads, I'm game for that, too. Was considering taking the back roads from the Big Belt mountains (Confederate Gulch) up Lingshire road to Great Falls/Ulm area.

Edit: I think this is the final route I plan on taking today: Helena to Lingshire to Great Falls to Helena
Probably will be out the door around 9AM, but will check email and PMs all the way up until then and if someone wants to join me but leave a bit later, I can delay.

Edit: The ride was great. Around 220 miles and 7 hours including a half hour lunch break. Scenic all the way.

Chadx screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 05:45 AM
Old 10-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
Bald-hunter
Let's go already!

Oddometer: 27
Thanks for getting the thread together Chadx. I am getting rid of the Boss so I am up for a ride almost anytime I am not at work. Okay wait I obviously love to hunt so during the season is limited in time for me. Unless you want to ride to a hunting spot with me!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

What, and have you trick me into carrying out a quarter? Ha.

By the way, I'll probably see you Friday. Mrs. Chadx is out of town this week, so I'll be filling in for her at the referral group.

Here is one more shot from this weekend's ride.

Chadx screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 07:43 PM
Old 10-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
jjmyzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
I share the thoughts of Bald-hunter, GONE HUNTING! will be back after pheasant season. Jan 1st, oh wait will be doing the real riding and having a blast with the crew snowmobiling. I have been doing the back country rifle hunting and bow hunting. I haven't found anything big enough to make me want to shoot, except on private land behind the big "no hunting" sign. Isn't that the way it goes in this state, roads closed on private property and can't hunt on the big ranches anymore. Well I think I will get out after the snow melts in the spring.

Thanks Chad for starting something.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Speedster
Gizmo Slut

Oddometer: 422
I'm still ready to ride. I don't hunt, and I won't even think about snowmobiling until January. I don't think we are going to get very far back in the hills before we run into too much snow/mud.

Putts has asked for our help in helping to plan the Helena area route for the Montana 1000 ride. Any input, and better yet, GPS tracks and such that we can help with, the better. I have his number if anybody needs to talk to him directly, or PM him.

Let me know if anybody is going out.

Speedster

03 Dakar, 04 CRF450R, 14 Ski Doo Summit X 800, 07 Summit X 800, 00 Mountain Max, Foes Fly, Rocky Mountain Altitude 770MSL, Giant STP, Bianchi Giro, wife
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Bald-hunter
Let's go already!

Oddometer: 27
Chadx- Dude there are 4 quarters on an elk! You will need to take 2. I am glad to hear you will be taking the place of your wife on Friday. I will see you there.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
zzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Thanks to Chadx

Thanks to Chadx for starting the thread. I too ride all year except when there is ice or snow on the road. Lately I've only been riding to work as I'm trying to get my barn enclosed before winter. I'll be hunting this weekend but I'll monitor the thread for possible rides.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster
Putts has asked for our help in helping to plan the Helena area route for the Montana 1000 ride. Any input, and better yet, GPS tracks and such that we can help with, the better. I have his number if anybody needs to talk to him directly, or PM him.
Ack! Thanks for reminding me. He emailed me about 3 weeks ago and asked me to give him a call. I dropped the ball on that one. I hope to be able to give some suggestions should the route run this way. Or maybe scout some potential routes and/or record some GPS tracks (though I haven't pulled the trigger on a new GPS, yet, to replace my 12+ year old one). Thinking of the Garmin 60CSX. Isn't that what you are running, Speedster?
Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald-hunter
Chadx- Dude there are 4 quarters on an elk! You will need to take 2.
Hey, as long as you carry the rack, I'm OK. There is no way I'm riding through the woods with antlers sticking up in the air. I won't risk coming down with a case of lead poisening!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Speedster
Gizmo Slut

Oddometer: 422
Yeah, I have the 60CSX. You can try it out if you want. I have the topo map discs for the whole U.S. I use a RAM mount on the bars. Let me know if you want to demo it.

03 Dakar, 04 CRF450R, 14 Ski Doo Summit X 800, 07 Summit X 800, 00 Mountain Max, Foes Fly, Rocky Mountain Altitude 770MSL, Giant STP, Bianchi Giro, wife
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

For anyone interested, I think I will have time for a morning ride on Saturday. 60% chance of rain, though. That never stopped me when it was warmer, but rain and 40 degrees might be a bit much. If the weather holds off, I'd be game for a 1 - 4 hour ride depending on how early we head out. Need to be home by a bit before noon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster
Yeah, I have the 60CSX. You can try it out if you want. I have the topo map discs for the whole U.S. I use a RAM mount on the bars. Let me know if you want to demo it.
Speedster, that would be great! It would be nice to see the level of detail on the Garman topo maps. I think they are 1:100,000. Have you check out any of the free 1:24,000 that are floating around?
Like on here: http://www.miscjunk.org/mj/mp_mttopo.html

A lot of smart people have pieced together some great info from free sources to make them so kudos to them. From the reports, they have some things that the garmin maps don't...and the garmin have some things these don't. Might be worth having both.

I'm pretty much sold on the 60CSX from handling it in the store and reading reviews, so a quick look-see under real world condition might seal the deal. Would also be interested in taking a better look at your RAM mount as I wade through the mounting options available.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

"Lat/Long of a Point" website

For those interested, here is a handy website for looking up a lat/long of a given point. It uses google maps as an underlay. You can put in an address, or zoom in and out, then click on a point to get the lat/long in Decimal degrees or in Degrees/Minutes/Seconds. I used it recently with my ancient GPS to punch in some waypoints prior to leaving on a long ride. It helped me identify when I was approaching a road turn off on some backroads that were way out there. You can also enter a lat/long and it will map it.

Having the lat/long waypoints also allowed me to leave those so my wife would know where to start searching for the body. There is no way to explain the names of all of the backroads, so leaving a few waypoints would give anyone interested an easy way to determine your route should things go pear shaped. Short of leaving a map with a highlighted "planned route", its the next best thing (especially when they are away and you can't give them a map. Just leave some lat/longs on a voice mail so someone has the information). Pretty handy.

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html
Note that when you are moving around, you have to use the + or - to the left to zoom in and out. Clicking on the map puts a blue marker with the associated lat/long and doesn't zoom in as with the regular googlemaps. Nice to flip between maps, satellite, and topo.

As another googlemaps side note, they just updated it with a new level of backroads so now you can tell the difference between various "size" gravel backroads. Also added property lines overlay once you zoom in far enough.

Chadx screwed with this post 10-22-2009 at 09:31 PM
Old 10-22-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
RudyS2MT
Rudy in MT

Oddometer: 353
MSF "Advanced rider course"

Had a fine time last Sunday riding in small circles with tiny cones directing my way. Gave me lots to think about and work on in the upcoming months. Also made me very glad I traded the Mefos 99s for the Touraces!

Since I got the little TW I find myself doing more road cruising (paved and gravel) on the F650. And fewer rougher trails. I have found that the TW in it's factory gearing seems to handle what I wish to do in the hills.

I'm certainly not ready to put them away (as if I ever do! Always a nice day to ride every month!). Maybe we can work in a ride soon!

Rudy in Austin....
2003 F650 Dakar (purchased 2/3/2007; sold 5/9/12)
------------------------------------------
RudyS2MT is offline   Reply With Quote