ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #46
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Pushbars,
Got busy the end of last week so those dates didn't work. We'll see what this week brings, but yeah, it might be tough around the holiday. Maybe after Thanksgiving. Great of you to offer your home thee-ay-ter. We'll work something out.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #47
mbmt
Adventure bound

Oddometer: 118
Good stuff

Ya, that XR was a blast. I have many memories of riding around my parents field in Bigfork, MT all day long on that thing. It finally gave up the ghost and I took it apart and didn't put it back together...I wish I still had it.

But now I have a bigger, better bike and can't wait for spring to roll around and hit the trails.

What are some of the areas you guys ride? How many riders usually go out for the all day trips?

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

Mbmt
1996 KTM 620 RXC (sold)
1974 Honda XR75 (in pieces in the dump, somewhere...)
mbmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #48
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmt
What are some of the areas you guys ride? How many riders usually go out for the all day trips?
The area depends on the riders. We all seem to have our favorite spots, or at least the ones where we ride often and are familiar. That is one reason it's been fun to get together with some of the other Helena riders. They expose me to other places that I may not have thought about riding. Though I've been on ADVRider for years, I just started using the Rockies section this spring, so all the riders on here were new to me, too. I did make one group ride and there were 8 of us. It worked out well because the routes we went on accounted for both big and small bikes and they could split off onto harder trails or gravel road routes and then meet back up. I did a few rides with just one or two guys, too. Fun meeting and riding with other local riders.

I'm most familiar with all the Big Belt roads and trails since I live Northeast of town out by Lake Helena. It's a 10 minute ride for me to be on the trails by York or a bit longer to enter over by Magpie. I've started to explore Northwest of town and there are endless roads and trails there, too. Many of the other guys know that area better than me, but I'm learning it. I'm a map lover, so get a kick out of studying different areas.

Southeast (Elhorns) and Southwest (Rimini Rd, ect.) are other places. Basically, we are surrounded by riding.

If you haven't already, get yourself a fold out Forest Service map for the area called "Helena National Forest". The cover looks like this:

It shows all the trails and when they are closed (though most get gated when closed so you can't accidentally go on them). Then just pick out a road and head down it.

I usually scan the area that I'll be on and print it on a regular 8.5" x 11" piece of paper to fold and tuck in my boot or pocket. Quick access compared to pulling out the big map and saves wear and tear on it, but I do still bring the big map just in case I roam off the area that I printed.

I just got a better GPS and am anxious to try it a bit more. I have road maps and topo maps for it and just found a way to transfer Google Maps routes into .gpx format and transfer it onto a GPS.

Looking forward to doing some riding.
Chad

Chadx screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 09:41 AM
Old 11-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #49
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

One of the rides from last year:

Chadx screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 08:46 PM
Old 11-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #50
mbmt
Adventure bound

Sweet

Looks like fun. I live in the north valley, so Marysville is not too far, among other trails.

For whatever reason, I can't get my pics to load up...any advice??
1996 KTM 620 RXC (sold)
Old 11-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #51
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmt
Looks like fun. I live in the north valley, so Marysville is not too far, among other trails.

For whatever reason, I can't get my pics to load up...any advice??
You can display pics one of two ways:

If you use ADVRider space, you can do an attachment (paper clip icon when you first create a post. It is not available when you edit a post). Then the pic has to meet the file size limit and pixel height and width limit. That is what I did with the "group ride" image above.

If you are posting a pic that is already out on the web (on some other website or in an image storage provider like photobucket, etc.), then when you first create a post, you click on the "Insert Image" icon (yellow icon with a little mountain. When you cursor-over your mouse, the pop-up says Insert Image). Click on that and it will let you paste in the URL of the image. That is what I did with the Forest Map Image above. To see what I mean, scroll up to the Forest Map image and right click. Select "View Image" and it will open only the image in your browser. Look at your browser's address bar and you will see the URL for that image. That URL is what I pasted into the "Insert Image" window when I created that post.
Note that this is the preferred method because then it doesn't use ADVRider server space, but for the occasional image, the Attachment method (first method) is OK.

Chadx screwed with this post 11-22-2009 at 08:24 PM
Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #52
mbmt
Adventure bound

Wow...thanks
1996 KTM 620 RXC (sold)
Old 11-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #53
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Happy Turkey Day, ya pukes.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:39 AM   #54
RudyS2MT
Rudy in MT

Oddometer: 353
CLose to Winter up Austin Road.....

I still have a dream of a little more riding in the hills but what little snow we have up Austin Road is hanging in there in any shaded spots. Might have to give it up and move the last bike to town yet..... (that would be the shivering TW200....)

I hope all are having a fine T.Day weekend!

Last Chance Riders meeting at Perkins Tuesday night at 6pm. Bill Ryder will speak about emergency repairs.... As if we ever have problems!

Rudy
2003 F650 Dakar (purchased 2/3/2007; sold 5/9/12)
------------------------------------------
RudyS2MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #55
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Yeah, that ice can be a bit tricky. I've had to turn around on a few trails this weekend, struggled through on others, and did go down once (gracefully) on another. Still, weather has been sunny and nice and temps fine. I've not seen any other bikes out. Only ATVs which are not impacted as much by the ice and can still get through most of the deeper snow up high.

Thanks for the heads up on the meeting. I've been thinking about getting a hold of those guys and joining. I'll see what's going on Tuesday and maybe stop in. I'd be interested in seeing if they have an trail-maintenance days that I can help with next season.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #56
Speedster
Gizmo Slut

Oddometer: 431
You boys still riding to work?

It's been nice enough yet, just dark in the morning. You still riding to work Pushbars? Chad?

I haven't had much time, made a quick emergency grocery store run on Turkey Day morning, and rode some moto at the track that afternoon, but not much else.

I would like to have some more snow, so that I can get the "high investment/low return" machines out of the trailer. Remember I have a "buddy sled" and am always off 1 day during the week, if'n anybody is interested in snowmobiling. Toughest problem I have is finding somebody to ride with!

Speedster

03 Dakar, 04 CRF450R, 14 Ski Doo Summit X 800, 07 Summit X 800, 00 Mountain Max, Foes Fly, Rocky Mountain Altitude 770MSL, Giant STP, Bianchi Giro, wife
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #57
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
pretty much every day... how else do you keep the battery charged and the tires from flatspotting?

I only really wish for that heated gear that chadx is sporting when it dips below 30 on the way to work... I am pretty sure that bmw is telling me that I should have some heated gear because why else would the computer flash a warning whenever it is below 37F?
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #58
Chadx OP
Off the road again..

Yep, still riding to work when the roads aren't slippery. My rule of thumb is I like to see at least two sunny days with no precip. before I'll ride. That way the roads seem to be cleared off nice. My route is usually usually Lake Helena Dr to York Rd. and into town. About 16 miles. I did have one high pucker-factor ride, a few weeks ago, where the snow and ice factor had me concerned, but no slips to speak of that day, thank goodness.

Yes, I'm still loving my heated jacket liner and gloves, even though it's been pretty warm riding to work lately. The thing that has me more skiddish than the cold are the deer. I've almost hit one about twice a week for the last 3 weeks..both on the bike and in the truck (and I don't consider it "almost hitting" unless it's closer than 15 feet). Hopefully they'll go deeper into the timber now that hunting season is lapsing. I'm on the road from about 6:30 - 7:00AM, so that is prime time for those critters to be moving from bedding to feeding grounds. I still have a group of 10 that I chase out of the yard every time I get home. When the entire herd is here, it's 30. Antlered rats, I tell ya!

I'm going to head over to Perkin's tomorrow night for the Last Chance Riders meeting. I don't know anyone, but hey, Rudy said to go, so I'm gonna! Any of you guys going? Rudy, you going or were you just advertising?

Speedster, I would love to figure out some days to go sledding with you and I'm not bashful about paying for our day's gas for the use of a sled. Weekday vacation days might be scarce for me, though. My dad, in Minnesota, isn't doing real well so I'll be burning all my vacation days making trips back that way for the foreseeable future. Maybe I can squeak out one weekday, though. Having grown up on sleds, I've not owned one since moving away from MN in 1991. On the list, but you know how those lists are.

So, anyone up for trying to get a movie night together? Didn't see too many responses when pushbars graciously offered his abode for a screening. I got a stack of flicks I can bring. Any interest or best we wait until after Christmas?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #59
jjmyzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
If Chad is paying for gas, count me in. I will go sledding on this Sat. I can't fight off the urge any longer. I have to get out and ride, sledding is my desired mode of fun, so I have to go every chance I get. hope it snows some.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:09 AM   #60
RudyS2MT
Rudy in MT

Oddometer: 353
Last Chance Riders tomorrow night....

Back room at Perkins at 6pm.

Guests always welcome!!

Some of the riders there are street only but a lot of the group have dual sports. Ken Conrad showed a nice backroads Mexico video of a trek he made last Spring at the last meeting.

Tomorrow evening will feature Bill Ryder speaking about emergency roadside repairs.

I'll be looking for you tomorrow night!

Rudy
2003 F650 Dakar (purchased 2/3/2007; sold 5/9/12)
------------------------------------------
RudyS2MT is offline   Reply With Quote