User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Oddometer: 2,736
640 adventure hardwire GPS how-to...

I'm getting ready to hard-wire my Garmin III+ into the 640 Adventure (been using the accy plug 'til now) & wondered what the best way to do this is...

There are several unused plugs behind the faring - can I get an adapter to fit one of these, or is it necessary to splice into some wiring someplace?
Twitter: @adventurephotog
Instagram: @adventurephotog
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:21 PM   #2
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by inte
I'm getting ready to hard-wire my Garmin III+ into the 640 Adventure (been using the accy plug 'til now) & wondered what the best way to do this is...

There are several unused plugs behind the faring - can I get an adapter to fit one of these, or is it necessary to splice into some wiring someplace?
I bought a spare power cable for my 60C on ebay for $8, and wired it directly to the battery with an inline 3A blade type [automotive] fuse. I did that so I didn't have to splice into the wiring harness at all. Makes it easier to remove stuff later on.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:

Kinda' depends on if you want it to be able to leave the GPS on with the key off... or not.
There are unused connectors behind the fairing/under the dash that are hot, unswitched and switched. As I don't have my fairing off... and really don't feel like pulling it just to tell you which two pin connector you need , you'll need a multi-meter to check voltage at the connectors with the key on and off.
There is a switched two pin hot connector... that you can get a mate to at Radio Shack... molex connector I think.
I was worried about forgetting the GPS was on... but being able to use it with everything else shut off is nice and, you would have to leave it on for a few days at least to run the battery down.

I used a two pin Deutsch waterproof connector set (cause the "spare" KTM connectors are anything but waterproof), examples of which can be seen here; http://www.route66supply.com/store/page2.html and wired mine permenently hot.

The connectors shown in the link can be had at most any Harley-Davidson dealer as they are an OEM item for them.

creeper screwed with this post 09-02-2004 at 08:22 PM
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:24 PM   #4
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,327
What the creep said. I wired my Emap off the switched one, been like that for over a year, works great.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Kinda' depends on if you want it to be able to leave the GPS on with the key off... or not.
There are unused connectors behind the fairing/under the dash that are hot, unswitched and switched. As I don't have my fairing off... and really don't feel like pulling it just to tell you which two pin connector you need , you'll need a multi-meter to check voltage at the connectors with the key on and off.
There is a switched two pin hot connector... that you can get a mate to at Radio Shack... molex connector I think.
I was worried about forgetting the GPS was on... but being able to use it with everything else shut off is nice and, you would have to leave it on for a few days at least to run the battery down.

I used a two pin Deutsch waterproof connector set (cause the "spare" KTM connectors are anything but waterproof), examples of which can be seen here; http://www.route66supply.com/store/page2.html and wired mine permenently hot.

The connectors shown in the link can be had at most any Harley-Davidson dealer as they are an OEM item for them.
Nice - thanks. I like the "hot" connector idea. I had the GPS wired with an inline fuse directly to the battery on my LC4 620, but I like the idea of using one of those connectors in the loom - less wiring running along the frame to short (already had that happen).

Thanks for that link - I might pick up a couple of the 12-pin connectors & wire a printer to the bike so's I can make trailside trip logs...
Old 09-02-2004, 09:40 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Nice - thanks. I like the "hot" connector idea. I had the GPS wired with an inline fuse directly to the battery on my LC4 620, but I like the idea of using one of those connectors in the loom - less wiring running along the frame to short (already had that happen).

Thanks for that link - I might pick up a couple of the 12-pin connectors & wire a printer to the bike so's I can make trailside trip logs...
Harley uses this style of Deutsch connector, up to an 8 pin. They are excellent connectors and can be easily assembled and disassembled... You have to buy all the components separately from H-D, but a good counterperson has no trouble putting it all together.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:20 AM   #7
cody
Rallymanic

Oddometer: 70
My two bits for what it's worth... hot wiring the GPS so that it can be switched on w/o the key is the way to go. It makes things easier. Last year I did the JL rally course and every time I stopped to speak with my riding buddies at a tricky navigation point, I would shut off the bike and lose the page I was on and in order to get back to the right page I would have to cycle through the pages on the fly whilst trying to keep up with/stay ahead of the people I was riding with (Flanny among others). This is a real pain when your in a quasi race. For some reason I couldn't remember to just use my kill switch and leave the ignition on. But with my superlative thinking power, that's hardly surprising...
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 06:48 AM   #8
Steelhead
Dirt Good/Street Bad

Oddometer: 428
Quote:

Go to http://www.powerlet.net/
They have the answers for you. Complete hard wired systems that connect directly to the battery the fused back to the GPS unit that provide completely weatherfroof connection points into most, if not all Garmin units.
They also sell splitters off that fused connection for other accessories like cell phones, heated vests etc.
If they don't have what you are looking for get Kathy on the telephone and they will build it for you, no kidding, they are awsome!
For what you need you are looking at around $70-$80 tops and it's plug and play stuff.
Look at the Multi Power Socket Kit and a Garmin connector cable with the Super Duder weather socket. Yea, that's the ticket.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:36 AM   #9
AusieRob
Just Gas It!!

Oddometer: 377
Just, following you from the 640 adv leccy plugs thread.

Quote:
I'm getting ready to hard-wire my GPS into my 640 Adv also. I've had the tank/faring off several times for various reasons & have seen all those vestigial plugs hanging around. Which one did you use? Where did you get a matching plug to wire into your GPS connections?
The plugs I used where almost dirrectly under the trip computer thingy (industry tech term) to the rightside. There are two plugs (female) there wired in series. These are Molex nylon .093" 2 circuit connectors. I got matching plugs from radioshack Part# 1545PRT. The GPS lead I got from EBay, Touratech has them plus many other places on the www as well. Plug wiring was + top (pointy end) - bottom (flat end).
AusieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #10
inte OP
neophyte serendipity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusieRob
Just, following you from the 640 adv leccy plugs thread.

The plugs I used where almost dirrectly under the trip computer thingy (industry tech term) to the rightside. There are two plugs (female) there wired in series. These are Molex nylon .093" 2 circuit connectors. I got matching plugs from radioshack Part# 1545PRT. The GPS lead I got from EBay, Touratech has them plus many other places on the www as well. Plug wiring was + top (pointy end) - bottom (flat end).
So I finally got around to trying to wire this thing in & I entered that part number on the Radio Shack website & came up with a record stylus?

I'm guessing you use one of these connectors (entered your description & came up with this list).

This one (first in the list) looked the most promising.