Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #31
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Same road, very cool railroad crossing. What is it about places in the middle of nowhere that gets my (our) hearts beating?

I made it through 169 and down 67. 67 is awesome too for pavement if you go that route. Here I am back on 170 on the border. Rio Grande is in the middle, Texas on the left and Mexico on the right of course. Looks like you could jump across without getting wet in some areas but since I forgot (didn’t plan on) to bring my passport I stayed State side!

Finally, one of the big destinations of the trip. I’ve been here many times by car and discover new things each time.

I make it to the ranger station just before they close and convince the girl at the desk my bike can make it to the primitive camp site… I think they have had a few mishaps with minivans and Harleys so there are some disclaimers they need to elaborate on.

I take a shot on the start of the trail to my campsite, only a few miles from the main road. This quickly turns into heavy gavel and keeps me on guard.

I arrive at my remote camp site and the huge parking area is reserved for only my bike. This is a single permit camp site and the nearest site is ˝ a mile away. No annoying music, a beautiful view, this is what I call camping! FYI I will set up my tent in a small clearing to the left of the parking area (the clearing is so small my tent almost does not fit).

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #32
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

That night I enjoy on the best solo camping experiences of my life. The desert is amazing, the weather is great, my new camera snaps a few pictures. Even the MRE I am eating for dinner tastes good!

My bike with the permit attached, no rangers knocking on my tent at night! The night was amazing! I spend a good half hour on top of the bear box watching the stars and meteoroids. During the night I was awoken several times to what seemed to me as earthquakes. Living in Texas most of my life and this being the first night I ran out of sleeping pills I was not sure I really experienced an earthquake. Big Bend being a mountainous area I will give it the benefit of the doubt and use it as a good party story.

My view in the morning from inside my tent. I had slept exceptionally well and felt refreshed.

All of a sudden I hear thunder outside the tent on the opposite side of the sunlight. “Oh shit!” I look outside the tent and find something I was not ready for.

I snap a couple quick pics and then franticly attempt to tear down the tent and pack up for the ride out of here before the roads get flooded!!!

This is about 15 mins before I am ready to head out, at this point I knew I would not make it. The rain was heading in faster than I could ride and I had no even put on my boots and rain gear…

Lol I thought this picture was tragically hilarious, my bike less than 5 minutes ready to go and completely soaked (I am soaked too). After finishing packing I made it through the roads without being flooded in and tested my raid gear!

Old 11-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #33
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

The ride on this (last) day started with a tour to the interior mountain basin of Big Bend.

The fog dissipates towards the entrance of the basin of Big Bend. Exiting the amazing basin I re-enter the cloud and celebrate the amazing sight.

Exiting Big Bend to the north the fog persists. I am riding through many layers of fog, rain, and general dampness for the entirety of today…

There are few more pictures of this day. I ride further down the border and find some random kid with an I-phone to give me a weather update on areas of Texas I would like to ride. All the reports throughout Texas indicate rain for the next week. I decide to iron-butt it back home… Most of the trip is just chilly and wet, the last 120 miles are at night in the rain with me struggling for visibility. I am so relieved to be home I stop a couple miles out on a remote road to take a glamour shot.

My ride, companion, and beast for the past 3000 mile journey. No Problems!

This last day I broke my personal record for consecutive riding. Over 600 miles in one day on the F800GS, I was happy!

My tires were completely shot but had served their purpose well, both of which I had replaced new in Roswell during the trip.

Rear,

Front.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #34
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Thanks all for reading!! I really enjoy any comments on my ride report, let me know if you would like more information on any of the pictures or a copy of my tracks.

Regards
-EnderTheX
-Oliver
Old 11-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #35
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Ms. Peach I will miss your thread!! When I left for this trip her thread was still active and I was set on getting a few shots… This is me in the Davis Mountains (beautiful area with good twisties).

Not as easy as it looks haha!

Success!

AWESOME!!

Great pics and report too!!!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #36
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,206
Great stuff

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #37
Tucos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Great RR. I just got back yesterday from riding some of the same stuff.
Tucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #38
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Very nice

Man some of those roads have me drooling...

I see that "max speed"
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #39
gus1911
Team F5

Oddometer: 97
Very nice! Looks like we have rode some of the same sand in Saddle Rock Canyon outside of Silver City: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416239
gus1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #40
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder
I see that "max speed"
Ha! With this guy, there's no way thats all he did. I'm SURE that has been photoshoped to keep our eyes from bleeding :P

I remember the first little trip he and I took when he first got his 800- we're on our way out of this town, still on city streets, I'm doing the speed limit which is 45 or something reasonable. Then this guy gets some sorta wild hair and takes off, he blasts past me like I'm standing still. He keeps going and going at what I can only assume is WFO for quite a while... fast enough that he didn't see a stop sign in time to stop so he just keeps going running the stop sign and missing our turn... this guy's a nutter :P

Great ride report man, awesome pictures. You have NO idea how much I would have rather been with you out there than at home doing drywall.
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #41
OldCoot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Great ride report... great scenery... great photos... and a great-looking bike!

Thanks,

OldCoot's Blog: Blue Ridge Travel Guide

Interactive Google Maps: Best Blue Ridge Mountain Roads
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #42
Red Leader
It's The Wide Open Spaces

Oddometer: 51
Fantastic

Great RR and pics to, thanks for taken the time to document the adventure. You really put it all out there a few times, and you even got noticed by TDP Hot Damn!
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #43
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

hahah, thanks for the comments! I am putting together some auxiliary info like my packing list and lessons learned. I love learning stuff like that from ride reports and wish more people would post it.

Oh yeah, don't worry about the max speed lol it is the result of passing a slow car with a driver on their cell phone who starts speeding up when they realize you are passing them.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #44
IRONIVAR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
nice report

great ride report , nice pictures
04 ktm 250 exc
08 polaris sportsman 550
01 honda xr 100 wifes
02 honda crf 50 with training wheels for joe b
08 KTM 50 son
08 polaris 50 (pink) daughter
1971 cb 450 cafe racer wannna b
IRONIVAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #45
LaOutbackTrail
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Nice ride Oliver! Good ride reporter if I may say.
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote