Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #61
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 415
Thanks for sharing an excellent ride report of your adventure!

A buddy and I are heading off to Big Bend next month. I've only ridden the paved roads there until now, but we plan on DS'ing it this time.

A suggestion for changing out the front wheel while the bike is on the center stand... carry a Ancra strap and use it to pivot the back end down toward an object on the ground such as a cattleguard, culvert lip, guy wire, etc...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #62
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt
Thanks for sharing an excellent ride report of your adventure!

A buddy and I are heading off to Big Bend next month. I've only ridden the paved roads there until now, but we plan on DS'ing it this time.

A suggestion for changing out the front wheel while the bike is on the center stand... carry a Ancra strap and use it to pivot the back end down toward an object on the ground such as a cattleguard, culvert lip, guy wire, etc...
Hi moto! Thanks for the suggestion. I always thought I could use my camp stool for that purpose but feared it would be too short. Now that you mention it I bet I could use a post or wall for the same purpose!

What I really need to do is get into shape so I can pick my bike up easier. I am still riding to work every day in the 20-50 deg F Texas winter but I can't wait until it gets warmer to get out there again!!!!!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #63
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Shameless bump! Thought I may give an old thread a kick once in a year for some a bit of fresh reading for new fellow riders I was thinking about this trip, it was my first epic journey with my bike and I think I have grown a lot as a rider since I've traveled through these regions. Thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #64
DCamm94
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm a complete n00b, but I thoroughly enjoyed your report. I'm hoping I'll be able to pull the trigger on a new F800GS in the late winter/early spring, and I've been lurking and reading ride reports starting from North Texas (Ft. Worth, specifically). I've hunted elk in the Gila, and it was magnificent. I'm looking for something like an F800GS, but with all of the wheel bearing/bore issues, I'm going to wait until I can test a Tiger 800XC before I buy. Keep posting these great rides so I can build my database of knowledge before pulling the trigger.

Deck
DCamm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #65
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCamm94
I'm a complete n00b, but I thoroughly enjoyed your report. I'm hoping I'll be able to pull the trigger on a new F800GS in the late winter/early spring, and I've been lurking and reading ride reports starting from North Texas (Ft. Worth, specifically). I've hunted elk in the Gila, and it was magnificent. I'm looking for something like an F800GS, but with all of the wheel bearing/bore issues, I'm going to wait until I can test a Tiger 800XC before I buy. Keep posting these great rides so I can build my database of knowledge before pulling the trigger.

Deck

Hi Deck! Thanks and good luck figuring which bike is right for you!

The F800GS has become the love of many adventure riders recently and it looks like several companies (Triumph and Yamaha) are jumping on the bandwagon.

I can understand your reservations when discovering flaws in these bikes but all problems can be worked through

Most important part is to get out and experience some adventures!

Cheers
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #66
DCamm94
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks. I rode an F8 at the Ft. Worth dealer a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Just need to get more comfortable I guess. Thanks for the reply. Once I'm saddled, you'll have to show me some of the tricks you learned from Byron.

Deck
DCamm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #67
Ernbo6
Ernbo6

Oddometer: 75
Thanks for Sharing

Just found and read your ride report and think you did an awesome job documenting and explaining the details of your adventure. I am inspired to try this route myself. Thanks for sharing and putting such a great effort on here for the rest of us. More.......
Ernbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #68
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCamm94 View Post
Thanks. I rode an F8 at the Ft. Worth dealer a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Just need to get more comfortable I guess. Thanks for the reply. Once I'm saddled, you'll have to show me some of the tricks you learned from Byron.

Deck
Cool stuff Deck, any updates? Let me know and we can go for a quick tour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernbo6 View Post
Just found and read your ride report and think you did an awesome job documenting and explaining the details of your adventure. I am inspired to try this route myself. Thanks for sharing and putting such a great effort on here for the rest of us. More.......

Thanks dude! I wish I could have seen more of Big Bend but I will tell you I was very impressed with the riding offered in New Mexico and West Texas. Those roads north west of Big Bend are unbelievably awesome!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #69
TX K@@TER RED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Great ride report! I have ridden to Big Bend two times (once on my '04 GSA and the other time on my Harley) but never went off paved roads. Both my Dad and I just purchased F800GS's and can't wait to go on trips like this! Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #70
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX K@@TER RED View Post
Great ride report! I have ridden to Big Bend two times (once on my '04 GSA and the other time on my Harley) but never went off paved roads. Both my Dad and I just purchased F800GS's and can't wait to go on trips like this! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the new bikes!

From what I hear Big Bend has stuff at all levels of riding and I'm sure I just touched some easy stuff. Deep sand is difficult for me but I recently got a steering damper and hope it helps out!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #71
TX K@@TER RED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Congrats on the new bikes!

From what I hear Big Bend has stuff at all levels of riding and I'm sure I just touched some easy stuff. Deep sand is difficult for me but I recently got a steering damper and hope it helps out!!!
Thanks! I noticed your damper in some of your latest pics. I am hoping I am not going to feel the need for one due to the $$$. I guess I will find out once I take her off road. We are waiting on our K60's to arrive, once we get them mounted we are going to ride out to the LBJ Grasslands.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #72
Dave Bell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
F8 club....

I live out east near Terrell, and I have an f8 that I've taken to New Mexico, Colorado, the Continental Divide Trail. I also go to Mexico and Big Bend a lot, usually take my KLR to Mexico cause it's third world= (can be fixed with minimal tools).

I have about a mile plus of woods trails on my land. We ought to have an F8athon.

By the way, Byron is a friend of mine.

db
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote