ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 08:11 PM   #61
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!
 
Motowalt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Texas Hill Country
Oddometer: 415
Thanks for sharing an excellent ride report of your adventure!

A buddy and I are heading off to Big Bend next month. I've only ridden the paved roads there until now, but we plan on DS'ing it this time.

A suggestion for changing out the front wheel while the bike is on the center stand... carry a Ancra strap and use it to pivot the back end down toward an object on the ground such as a cattleguard, culvert lip, guy wire, etc...
__________________
AMA
Motowalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #62
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt
Thanks for sharing an excellent ride report of your adventure!

A buddy and I are heading off to Big Bend next month. I've only ridden the paved roads there until now, but we plan on DS'ing it this time.

A suggestion for changing out the front wheel while the bike is on the center stand... carry a Ancra strap and use it to pivot the back end down toward an object on the ground such as a cattleguard, culvert lip, guy wire, etc...
Hi moto! Thanks for the suggestion. I always thought I could use my camp stool for that purpose but feared it would be too short. Now that you mention it I bet I could use a post or wall for the same purpose!

What I really need to do is get into shape so I can pick my bike up easier. I am still riding to work every day in the 20-50 deg F Texas winter but I can't wait until it gets warmer to get out there again!!!!!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #63
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,714
Shameless bump! Thought I may give an old thread a kick once in a year for some a bit of fresh reading for new fellow riders I was thinking about this trip, it was my first epic journey with my bike and I think I have grown a lot as a rider since I've traveled through these regions. Thanks
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #64
DCamm94
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 7
I'm a complete n00b, but I thoroughly enjoyed your report. I'm hoping I'll be able to pull the trigger on a new F800GS in the late winter/early spring, and I've been lurking and reading ride reports starting from North Texas (Ft. Worth, specifically). I've hunted elk in the Gila, and it was magnificent. I'm looking for something like an F800GS, but with all of the wheel bearing/bore issues, I'm going to wait until I can test a Tiger 800XC before I buy. Keep posting these great rides so I can build my database of knowledge before pulling the trigger.

Deck
DCamm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #65
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCamm94
I'm a complete n00b, but I thoroughly enjoyed your report. I'm hoping I'll be able to pull the trigger on a new F800GS in the late winter/early spring, and I've been lurking and reading ride reports starting from North Texas (Ft. Worth, specifically). I've hunted elk in the Gila, and it was magnificent. I'm looking for something like an F800GS, but with all of the wheel bearing/bore issues, I'm going to wait until I can test a Tiger 800XC before I buy. Keep posting these great rides so I can build my database of knowledge before pulling the trigger.

Deck

Hi Deck! Thanks and good luck figuring which bike is right for you!

The F800GS has become the love of many adventure riders recently and it looks like several companies (Triumph and Yamaha) are jumping on the bandwagon.

I can understand your reservations when discovering flaws in these bikes but all problems can be worked through

Most important part is to get out and experience some adventures!

Cheers
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #66
DCamm94
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 7
Thanks. I rode an F8 at the Ft. Worth dealer a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Just need to get more comfortable I guess. Thanks for the reply. Once I'm saddled, you'll have to show me some of the tricks you learned from Byron.

Deck
DCamm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #67
Ernbo6
Ernbo6
 
Ernbo6's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Hotlanta, Georgia . . . Dubai, UAE
Oddometer: 75
Thanks for Sharing

Just found and read your ride report and think you did an awesome job documenting and explaining the details of your adventure. I am inspired to try this route myself. Thanks for sharing and putting such a great effort on here for the rest of us. More.......
Ernbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #68
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCamm94 View Post
Thanks. I rode an F8 at the Ft. Worth dealer a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Just need to get more comfortable I guess. Thanks for the reply. Once I'm saddled, you'll have to show me some of the tricks you learned from Byron.

Deck
Cool stuff Deck, any updates? Let me know and we can go for a quick tour!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernbo6 View Post
Just found and read your ride report and think you did an awesome job documenting and explaining the details of your adventure. I am inspired to try this route myself. Thanks for sharing and putting such a great effort on here for the rest of us. More.......

Thanks dude! I wish I could have seen more of Big Bend but I will tell you I was very impressed with the riding offered in New Mexico and West Texas. Those roads north west of Big Bend are unbelievably awesome!!!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #69
TX K@@TER RED
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TX K@@TER RED's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Burleson,TX
Oddometer: 151
Great ride report! I have ridden to Big Bend two times (once on my '04 GSA and the other time on my Harley) but never went off paved roads. Both my Dad and I just purchased F800GS's and can't wait to go on trips like this! Thanks for sharing!
__________________
F800GS 30th Anniversary
TX K@@TER RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #70
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX K@@TER RED View Post
Great ride report! I have ridden to Big Bend two times (once on my '04 GSA and the other time on my Harley) but never went off paved roads. Both my Dad and I just purchased F800GS's and can't wait to go on trips like this! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the new bikes!

From what I hear Big Bend has stuff at all levels of riding and I'm sure I just touched some easy stuff. Deep sand is difficult for me but I recently got a steering damper and hope it helps out!!!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #71
TX K@@TER RED
Gnarly Adventurer
 
TX K@@TER RED's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Burleson,TX
Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Congrats on the new bikes!

From what I hear Big Bend has stuff at all levels of riding and I'm sure I just touched some easy stuff. Deep sand is difficult for me but I recently got a steering damper and hope it helps out!!!
Thanks! I noticed your damper in some of your latest pics. I am hoping I am not going to feel the need for one due to the $$$. I guess I will find out once I take her off road. We are waiting on our K60's to arrive, once we get them mounted we are going to ride out to the LBJ Grasslands.
__________________
F800GS 30th Anniversary
TX K@@TER RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:39 PM   #72
Dave Bell
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Wills Point, Texas
Oddometer: 83
F8 club....

I live out east near Terrell, and I have an f8 that I've taken to New Mexico, Colorado, the Continental Divide Trail. I also go to Mexico and Big Bend a lot, usually take my KLR to Mexico cause it's third world= (can be fixed with minimal tools).

I have about a mile plus of woods trails on my land. We ought to have an F8athon.

By the way, Byron is a friend of mine.

db
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014