User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
cap'n Jack OP
YAAARRR... or something

Oddometer: 166
chiang mia Thailand Enduro tours????

anyone know of a good company doing day enduro tours in the surrounding areas of Chiang Mai? from the looks of it there are a lot of them but I was hoping for a recommendation instead of finding myself up on the mountain with a guide that knows less then I do about where we are going :)

or for that matter anyone living here with an extra bike that wants some company on a day long trek through the lovely wilderness of Thailand. I'll pay for gas and the days costs!

Gone but not forgotten--
2006 Husqvarna TE 510
2004 KTM 625 SXC
1977 CB750 F
2000 Ducati Monster 750

1965 cb77

Restoration Projects--
1967 cb160

"Go that way really fast... If something gets in your way, Turn. "
cap'n Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 830
Hi!

Definitely the best source for information about riding in Northern Thailand is the Golden Triangle Riders: http://www.gt-rider.com http://www.gt-rider.com

Check out the forums for information about tour companies and rental options.

I've never gone on a tour but have done a lot of riding up there- personal favorite for rental bikes in top condition are Mr. Mechanic, Tony's Big Bike (no relation to me ) and Pop's.

When will you be in Thailand? Maybe we can hook up for a ride.

Happy Trails!

Tony
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 830
ps. the first two companies (Mr Mechanic and Tony's Big Bike) can definitely offer you good advice on tour options.
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
cap'n Jack OP
YAAARRR... or something

Oddometer: 166
Tony, thanks for the tip! I winded up renting a lil scooter from mr mechanic. he seemed to be the most reasonable around town. I plan on getting a 250 enduro for a day trip up in the mountains soon. maybe during the first of next week. I've decided to just go it along... I mean with no tour guide that is. If you or anyone else is around the more the better. Never did like riding alone, too many things could go wrong, but never one to not go because of it

My wife and I are trying to figure out the best way to get over to Napal. Thinking I might have to find a motorcycle that can handle the trip and buy it if its not too much of a hassle. Looks like the way to go is up through Loas, into china then down into Napal from that end.

any advice on route? I hear buying a bike here is a pain in the ass. I'm going to look into buying one in Laos, see if that is any easier. there is a guy on Craigslist selling a multistrata for around 7k. great bike but know nothing about it for this kind of trek. what would be great is to see if Mr. M wants to sell me one of his Trans Alps for the trek... WOW what a great idea. I'm going to go talk to him and others, I see them all over town tomorrow.

Once I get a lead on a bike I'll put up an official rider report, until then I'm only dreamin!

coop

Gone but not forgotten--
2006 Husqvarna TE 510
2004 KTM 625 SXC
1977 CB750 F
2000 Ducati Monster 750

1965 cb77

Restoration Projects--
1967 cb160

"Go that way really fast... If something gets in your way, Turn. "
cap'n Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,918
Hey All!! My wife and I are planning to come to Northern Thailand at the end of February and stay into Mid-March. I am definately interested in doing some riding and will most likely be renting a bike for someone in Chiang Mai, unless you know of a place in Chiang Rai? I don't know of we are going to two-up or if she is going to stay home, but I am already thinking 3-5 days on the road exploring Thailand on two wheels It will be my third time there, but I only did scooters before. Looking foward to a big bike adventure and hope I can meet up with some ADVs while there.

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpST8
Hey All!! My wife and I are planning to come to Northern Thailand at the end of February and stay into Mid-March. I am definately interested in doing some riding and will most likely be renting a bike for someone in Chiang Mai, unless you know of a place in Chiang Rai? I don't know of we are going to two-up or if she is going to stay home, but I am already thinking 3-5 days on the road exploring Thailand on two wheels It will be my third time there, but I only did scooters before. Looking foward to a big bike adventure and hope I can meet up with some ADVs while there.

Got a trip up there next week. My buddy is renting from Tony's Big Bikes and I'm bringing mine on the train from Bangkok. I'll post a trip report with all the details.
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

Oddometer: 654
Chiamng mai

+1 on the chiang mai / mae sariang / mae hong song / pai loop.

I did each leg per day about 4 hours riding and then dinner / drinks at night

Mae seariang is not a party town bur it sets the riding for the next day to Mae hong son perfectly! Then Pai, I would stay in Pai more than 1 day though.

Go hang out at BeBop!!

Also if you like Blues Chai Blues House in Chiang Mai

CHAI BLUES HOUSE SOI 4 (WAT UMONG) SUTHEP RD. Chiang Mai, Thailand Phone: +6653-328-296; Cell +66846123685 Open Daily 5:00p.m. till Midnight Chai Blues Plays with his Band Thursday - Sunday 9:00 p.m. - Midnight

You will like!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap'n Jack
anyone know of a good company doing day enduro tours in the surrounding areas of Chiang Mai? from the looks of it there are a lot of them but I was hoping for a recommendation instead of finding myself up on the mountain with a guide that knows less then I do about where we are going :)

or for that matter anyone living here with an extra bike that wants some company on a day long trek through the lovely wilderness of Thailand. I'll pay for gas and the days costs!

I have toured twice with Wolf @ http://endurotours.com/

Honest and trustworthy. Knows the area / culture and speaks the language!

He also has a brand new fleet of KLX 250 s Fuel injected as well as cr 250
2 smokes.

Give him my regards Frank from BAghdad!!!!

Send him an e-mail for scheduling....

C-ya

and have fun!!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #9
daewoo
nothing better to do

Oddometer: 225
I have heard some bad stories about Pop Rental, I know that TonyBKK won't agree, but he is just a disagreeable pr!ck anyway Hi Tony

They won't let you write this on the Thailand websites, so I will write it here...

Pop's bikes are alegedly all paid for laundering money from organised crime, 10Million Baht this year... he makes his money back by hitting riders up for damage, real or imagined... I have this from a very good source with nothing to gain... although it seems to be pretty widely known amongst the riders in CM...

Lots of guys rent from Mr Mechanic in the vain hope of getting a leg over the manager Miss Gung... I have hired from them before and think their bikes are as bad as any others I have seen...

Tony's Big Bikes bikes are usually better, as they are maintained by westerners to western standards, but as with most hire bikes they are 15 years old and have had a hard life...

The exception to this (unfortunately Tony's doesn't have any) are the shops that have just bought new from Kawasaki ER6N/Fs and D-Trackers... Pop, Mr Mechanic, Mr Beer and many other shops have the relatively new and therefore, unmolested bikes... to my mind, defiantely worth the money over a 15year old war horse...

I used Mr Beer and had no problem with him... address details are all on the GT-Rider site...

Cheers,
Daewoo
daewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 AM   #10
daewoo
nothing better to do

As for routes, I would say that the Mae Hon Song Loop is very overated, but has the advantage of being pretty touristy, and therefore easier (i.e. more English speakers in towns, better selection of accommodation)...

John from Jonadda guest house in Chiang Mai was always been at me to head East to Nan and Fang provinces and I always ignored his advice... I shouldn't have...

Check out my ride report from this year, and also the great reports TonyBKK has just posted up for route details...

Cheers,
Daewoo
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 AM   #11
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

+1

+1 for your report, I checked it out and to the east it is for my next trip.

I will sit down and study it as for route tips and such.

Thanks for that awesome report. Thailand never stops amazing me!

I might even look you guys up when I get there... summer 2010.

Frank
Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #12
daewoo
nothing better to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzky
I might even look you guys up when I get there... summer 2010.

Frank
Depends which summer you mean... if you mean Australian summer, I might be there... I usually go in November each year...

TonyBKK is in BKK...

If you spend some time on the GT-Rider site, you will get some good info, the guys are all very nice, as long as you don't just turn up and ask lots of questions that are easily found by doing a search... only about 25% of the threads are about actually riding in Nth Thailand, so there should be heaps of other threads that you can involve yourself in...

I can't say I am an experineced rider, although I ride every day... If someone wants to know which lane to be in at a certain point on the commute from my home to my office, I am THE man...

but I can't imagine there are better places to ride than Northern Thailand...
  • The roads are great,
  • The road surface is usually very good,
  • The weather is predictable, wet in the wet season, dry in the dry season,
  • The traffic is light,
  • Where the traffic is heavy it is easy to pass,
  • There is no speed limit imposed upon you by others, you can ride as fast or liesurely as suits you at the time,
  • The accommodation is good and cheap ($Au15/night, for a proper hotel, not some smelly backpackers hostel).
  • The food is good and cheap, $Au3 per meal or less.
  • Every night, you can head to a bar and always have someone to chat with,
  • Most of all, it is completely different to riding at home...
Hope you do make it over,

Cheers,
Daewoo
Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,918
Thanks for the info Daewoo!! Still trying to get over there sometime around March into April time frame. We will most likely rent out of Chiang Rai since that is where my In-laws are.

cRAzY
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
has anyone heard anything about this company
thailandmotorcylestours.com ?

cheers
Rod

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #15
David gt-rider
Banned

Oddometer: 2
I have never heard of motrocyclestours.com but you can rent a bike or two in Chiang Mai and get a GT-Rider map (sold in many places in CM) and ride on your own.

The GT-ridermap is the best map of Northern Thialand bar none!!

DavidFL
David gt-rider is offline   Reply With Quote