Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #46
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9
Oooo, Oooo, I wanna go, I wanna go!

Great RR Greg. I haven't been out that way at all so let me know when and I'll do what I can to make it too.

We'll have to get together and plan out a ride then.
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #47
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
I am very glad this got bumped up. Having just bought a DR650 last fall, this is the type of riding I wanted to do. I also just received my Safari so I can get the range too.

What type of tent is that? That looks pretty cool without being too big.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #48
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWPC
I am very glad this got bumped up. Having just bought a DR650 last fall, this is the type of riding I wanted to do. I also just received my Safari so I can get the range too.

What type of tent is that? That looks pretty cool without being too big.
Congrats on your new bike! The DR650 is a great all-around bike, even better with a few of the right mods.

I don't recall the brand of the tent off hand, but it's just an inexpensive single-person tent I found at Sportsmans Warehouse. It breaks down to be very small and fairly light-weight, perfect for Adventure riding.

***EDIT*** I should have looked at my own pictures in this thread for the Tent info. It's a Eureka Solitaire!

Here's link to Google shopping results- http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCkQrQQwAA

Greg@RME screwed with this post 04-10-2010 at 02:05 AM
Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #49
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,486
Awesome ride report! Congratulations on making through all the tough sections alone! It's quite a rush when your alone! And a real workout!
I enjoyed it!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #50
pyrate
Walking the plank

Oddometer: 1,164
Awesome job. Loved the starting the fire w/ flint. I always like doing things like that when you are out on your own and just chilling.

Since you used maps, any recommendations on good ones? I like maps!

pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #51
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@RME
Congrats on your new bike! The DR650 is a great all-around bike, even better with a few of the right mods.

I don't recall the brand of the tent off hand, but it's just an inexpensive single-person tent I found at Sportsmans Warehouse. It breaks down to be very small and fairly light-weight, perfect for Adventure riding.

***EDIT*** I should have looked at my own pictures in this thread for the Tent info. It's a Eureka Solitaire!

Here's link to Google shopping results- http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CCkQrQQwAA
Thanks. That is great. I do certainly enjoy the bike. I might try some of those routes when I head out to Moab next.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #52
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
Awesome job. Loved the starting the fire w/ flint. I always like doing things like that when you are out on your own and just chilling.

Since you used maps, any recommendations on good ones? I like maps!
Yeah, playing with the flint & steel was fun... I'm glad I didn't burn down the forest.

As for the maps, I was using the Benchmark Road & Rec Atlas. I have one for Utah & Colorado and they have been invaluable. For rides like this, I will photo copy the pages I need, using the front and back sides of the paper, then fold them up and put them in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWPC
Thanks. That is great. I do certainly enjoy the bike. I might try some of those routes when I head out to Moab next.
No problem! Those are some amazing places to ride around Moab, more than enough to keep you busy for a long time. I'll look for your ride report!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #53
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Greg I love this report man. Here is the XR at the shop getting dialed with a new rack for some soft panniers that I am currently building.

Lets definitely ride soon and I look forward to getting out with you for sure. Sorry I can't make it next weekend, I am really bummed about that. Me and the bike are definitely itching to get out.

thanks,
andre
dieselcruiserhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #54
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Nice RR

I have a good friend who lives in Placerville. I go see him often. Maybe we could do some riding some time. I'm thinking about coming up in Oct as that seems to be the best time to ride.
Thanks for sharing. jimmy
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #55
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphene View Post
Very good report man. I'm pondering a solo Beef Basin ride on my F8GS in the next few weeks. Thanks to you I am now smart enough to stay away from the Western approach. Bobbys Hole & Motherfucker Hill. Do you have any insight on the road from Hwy 211 that runs along Cottonwood Creek and brings you into the basin from the East? It looks pretty decent on the Canyonlands map.
That section is pretty easy cruisn', done it many times. We lived in Needles for the 2010 season, my wife was a Ranger there.

If you did that stretch in early spring, it could still be muddy and rutty from snow melt, other times it is fine.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #56
sasha_j
full time RV'er

I am late to the party here, but I am in awe of both Greg's riding ability and his RR, particularly the part where he rode from Moab over Hurrah Pass, the full Lockhart Basin to Needles, up the front side of Elephant Hill, down the even tougher backside, thru Needles, then UP Bobby's Hole to Beef Basin then up to Manti-La Sal National Forest.

In one day.

IMO, that itinerary would be way beyond the abilities of most mortals. To Greg, it was just a "tiring day".

Let me further comment on this amazing ride from the perspective of someone who had the privilege of living in the Needles district of Canyonlands last year from mid March thru end of Sept. My wife was a seasonal NPS Ranger there and I volunteered as a Trail Rove and Visitor Center assistant.

While in the Needles, I had plenty of time to both hike the trails and ride my DR both inside and mostly, outside the park on BLM and NFS lands. What an amazing place for dual sporting I must say. You can ride a year in San Juan County Utah without hitting the same roads twice. The back roads there just go on and on........

Anyway my comments in order of Greg's trip:

1. Lockhart Basin - BLM Lands

I rode Lockhart Basin from Needles, early in September that year, intending to ride all the way to Moab, the reverse of Greg's trip portion. Big mistake on my part. That "road" does not get a lot of use and I ended up being a beta-tester on my ride.

That August, we got several "monsoon" rains. Part of the White Rim Road in nearby Island of the Sky got majorly washed out; the Mineral Bottom switchbacks completely washed away. Total road failure. They had to be repaired at major expense to the county, as the damage was just outside NPS lands.

Little did I (or anybody) know it at the time, but a similar event happened on the Lockhart Basin. Right here:

http://goo.gl/maps/08j4

As you are snaking around the last of the rim and just before you head down the steep narrow wash (as well documented by Greg who went UP it) to Chicken Corners, there was a complete and total road failure. I went around that curve in the Google Sat Map and next thing I knew, I was looking down a 30' cliff. Maybe higher. Not getting to Moab!

As of 9/10, Lockhart Basin is no longer a thru road. If you could even call that section a "road". It was not fixed that fall, I know. It may or may not be passable now. Check with either the local BLM Office or the Moab Information Center (MIC) on Main Street. If anyone has been on Lockhart Basin lately and can confirm conditions one way or the other, let us know.

I have a .GPX file of that ride that also shows the problem area quite well. It's 3 megs, so I can't post it here. Shoot me a PM with your email if you want it.

2. Elephant Hill - Canyonlands National Park, Needles District

I never rode my DR over Elephant Hill. I hiked it several times and was thinking WTF!! Lots of loose rocks, steep as hell and 2' stair step drops or higher. No way on my DR with stock 15/42 gearing and dual sport tires. My setup at the time was fine for most local riding, but not for Elephant Hill.

(note to Greg: What gearing did you use on your trip?)

Even with lower gearing and knobbies, I don't think I would ride Elephant Hill on a DR, let alone a DR packed with supplies and overnight luggage. On a Trials Bike, I would consider Elephant Hill, but remember, you are in a National Park and gotta be street legal.

Again, I am not a rider in Greg's league. My advice however for anyone wanting to ride Elephant Hill is to have excellent riding abilities, low gearing and knobbies. And even if you meet those requirements, park the bike first, and hike up on your feet to see what you are getting into. The pictures don't do it justice. And remember the backside is even steeper than the front.

3. Bobby's Hole - BLM Lands

As you go up, over and down Elephant Hill, thru Canyonlands, the only way to leave the park without going back the way you came is to exit the park and go up Bobby's Hole.

Let me tell you a bit about Bobby's Hole. During my time in the park, I got to ride with Rangers in the NPS-issue custom Jeeps they have. 3 of 'em. Lifted Rubicons, oversized tires, ARB lockers and roll cages. We did Elephant Hill, SOB Hill and the Silver Stairs bunch of times, slow and easy, no problems.

Even with that level of off-road hardware, no Ranger -ever- except in an emergency situation would consider going UP Bobby's Hole in a Jeep. If they had to go into that area, they would always go around the other way thru Cottonwood Canyon-Beef Basin so they could drive DOWN Bobby's Hole.

Greg's pictures definitely do not portray the utter horror of Bobby's Hole going up. That he made it up this beast of a hill only dropping his fully loaded DR only once is a major testament to his riding ability.

Personally, I would not ride Bobby's Hole on any kind of bike going either up or down. If you feel you must ride it, I recommend going down only, the reverse of Greg's trip. Even then, you risk going over the handlebars.

Hope my comments help out future riders in the area.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #57
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Some pics from the area

Lockhart Basin Scenic Byway

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=94eb0d330b

Riding a Long Loop in Manti La Sal NF

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c9f6fddae3

Cottonwood Canyon Road/Salt Creek Canyon/Beef Basin

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=aefb280392
Old 06-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #58
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Taken just outside the Park:
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #59
sasha_j
full time RV'er

Us:
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #60
Greg@RME OP
Mis-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha_j View Post
I am late to the party here, but I am in awe of both Greg's riding ability and his RR, particularly the part where he rode from Moab over Hurrah Pass, the full Lockhart Basin to Needles, up the front side of Elephant Hill, down the even tougher backside, thru Needles, then UP Bobby's Hole to Beef Basin then up to Manti-La Sal National Forest.

In one day.

IMO, that itinerary would be way beyond the abilities of most mortals. To Greg, it was just a "tiring day".

Let me further comment on this amazing ride from the perspective of someone who had the privilege of living in the Needles district of Canyonlands last year from mid March thru end of Sept. My wife was a seasonal NPS Ranger there and I volunteered as a Trail Rove and Visitor Center assistant.

While in the Needles, I had plenty of time to both hike the trails and ride my DR both inside and mostly, outside the park on BLM and NFS lands. What an amazing place for dual sporting I must say. You can ride a year in San Juan County Utah without hitting the same roads twice. The back roads there just go on and on........

Anyway my comments in order of Greg's trip:

1. Lockhart Basin - BLM Lands

I rode Lockhart Basin from Needles, early in September that year, intending to ride all the way to Moab, the reverse of Greg's trip portion. Big mistake on my part. That "road" does not get a lot of use and I ended up being a beta-tester on my ride.

That August, we got several "monsoon" rains. Part of the White Rim Road in nearby Island of the Sky got majorly washed out; the Mineral Bottom switchbacks completely washed away. Total road failure. They had to be repaired at major expense to the county, as the damage was just outside NPS lands.

Little did I (or anybody) know it at the time, but a similar event happened on the Lockhart Basin. Right here:

http://goo.gl/maps/08j4

As you are snaking around the last of the rim and just before you head down the steep narrow wash (as well documented by Greg who went UP it) to Chicken Corners, there was a complete and total road failure. I went around that curve in the Google Sat Map and next thing I knew, I was looking down a 30' cliff. Maybe higher. Not getting to Moab!

As of 9/10, Lockhart Basin is no longer a thru road. If you could even call that section a "road". It was not fixed that fall, I know. It may or may not be passable now. Check with either the local BLM Office or the Moab Information Center (MIC) on Main Street. If anyone has been on Lockhart Basin lately and can confirm conditions one way or the other, let us know.

I have a .GPX file of that ride that also shows the problem area quite well. It's 3 megs, so I can't post it here. Shoot me a PM with your email if you want it.

2. Elephant Hill - Canyonlands National Park, Needles District

I never rode my DR over Elephant Hill. I hiked it several times and was thinking WTF!! Lots of loose rocks, steep as hell and 2' stair step drops or higher. No way on my DR with stock 15/42 gearing and dual sport tires. My setup at the time was fine for most local riding, but not for Elephant Hill.

(note to Greg: What gearing did you use on your trip?)

Even with lower gearing and knobbies, I don't think I would ride Elephant Hill on a DR, let alone a DR packed with supplies and overnight luggage. On a Trials Bike, I would consider Elephant Hill, but remember, you are in a National Park and gotta be street legal.

Again, I am not a rider in Greg's league. My advice however for anyone wanting to ride Elephant Hill is to have excellent riding abilities, low gearing and knobbies. And even if you meet those requirements, park the bike first, and hike up on your feet to see what you are getting into. The pictures don't do it justice. And remember the backside is even steeper than the front.

3. Bobby's Hole - BLM Lands

As you go up, over and down Elephant Hill, thru Canyonlands, the only way to leave the park without going back the way you came is to exit the park and go up Bobby's Hole.

Let me tell you a bit about Bobby's Hole. During my time in the park, I got to ride with Rangers in the NPS-issue custom Jeeps they have. 3 of 'em. Lifted Rubicons, oversized tires, ARB lockers and roll cages. We did Elephant Hill, SOB Hill and the Silver Stairs bunch of times, slow and easy, no problems.

Even with that level of off-road hardware, no Ranger -ever- except in an emergency situation would consider going UP Bobby's Hole in a Jeep. If they had to go into that area, they would always go around the other way thru Cottonwood Canyon-Beef Basin so they could drive DOWN Bobby's Hole.

Greg's pictures definitely do not portray the utter horror of Bobby's Hole going up. That he made it up this beast of a hill only dropping his fully loaded DR only once is a major testament to his riding ability.

Personally, I would not ride Bobby's Hole on any kind of bike going either up or down. If you feel you must ride it, I recommend going down only, the reverse of Greg's trip. Even then, you risk going over the handlebars.

Hope my comments help out future riders in the area.

Sasha... I'm overwhelmed by your response! Thank you so much for breaking it down and really portraying how difficult that ride could be. This trip was near epic for me, it was very difficult, therefore the risk added to the reward. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd make the trip going the same way again... it was ROUGH! But that's part of the adventure, eh?

My DR has been re-geared by dropping 1 tooth on the counter-sprocket, that really helps slow the bike down and add more control during the technical climbs. I really did wish I had a pumper carb, to help loft the tires over those big holes and ledges on Elephant Hill.

Because of this ride I've learned to pack my bike better and changed my 'luggage' situation with saddle bags. The DR was way too top heavy on this ride, with the big duffel bag on the top-back of the bike.

As far as the current conditions of Lockhart Basin, it's open and repaired. I took the wife & dog thru Lockhart over Memorial Weekend a few weeks ago in the 4x4. The most difficult part of Lockhart has been filled in! Trip report on my site, if you care. - http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=83781