Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Round-I-Go OP
I won the Pullet Surprise

Oddometer: 499
Howard's Big Adventure ... or ... "Mr. B Rides Again" - UPDATE

Ladies and Gents ... meet Howard.

Robert, actually, but he has always preferred to go by his middle name ...
or "H", as his younger brother Kenneth has always called him ... or ...

Mr. B ...

Now, what you're about to read you may not consider an "Epic Adventure". Nor would I from my own perspective. However, if you or I were a 93 year old man, if you or I had been severely handicapped since 1945, if you or I were the adventurous soul who would have done nearly anything just to throw his leg over a motorcycle in the ensuing 64 years since "the injury", but were completely unable ... well, we would consider it an adventure, indeed.

Allow me to explain ...

Mr. B resides in Southern California, near San Diego, where the sun is warm and the climate near perfect. He isn't originally from here. He's only lived in California full time since his wife of 49 years and sole caregiver, Ferne, passed away back in January of 1996. They had been wintering here, as well as in Arizona for several years in the late 80's and up through the winter of '95-96 when "H" lost "Fernie", the love of his life, to sudden and devastating illness. They were from Iowa.

Who am I? I'm Paul. Debbie, Howard and Ferne's only child, and I married 33 years ago. We, along with our 2 children who have since both married and had children of their own, have lived away from Iowa for 21 years now. It was only natural, under current circumstances, that Howard would now come to live with us, in our home in Southern California. We were to assume the role as Mr. B's caregivers for the next 8 years. And to be regulars at the Assisted Living facility where he's been since.

But, to see the broader view, let's go a bit further back.

Howard and Ferne grew up together in the little midwestern town of Oskaloosa, Iowa. Ferne was the eldest of Dave and Felicia's seven kids, 6 girls and 1 boy, railroad people, the hard working, hard living, barely-scrape-by kind of people. Howard hung around Fernie's family nearly all the time and, the way it's told, became almost part of the family, everpresent.

They say some girls like the "bad boys". Howard though, was never "bad" by the true definition of the word; he never, ever had a malicious bone in his body, but he surely did like to walk on the wild side. When they were kids, he was the one who would jump, not from the road-level of the bridge into the river below, but from the very top of the span, just for the rise he could get from the girls, their mothers, anyone who might see. He was the one who would "borrow" his Grandmothers car to run Moonshine. He was the one everybody called "Barney Oldfield" because he seemed to think every road was a racetrack and he was the champ ... remember, this is back in the days of the Model "T", later the Model "A".

Howard 21, and Fernie 20 in 1937

Time marches on and sometimes ... well, sometimes we follow a "different" path than we may have imagined. These teenage sweethearts went off in separate directions, each marrying another. Howard joined the Army in January, 1941 and was stationed at Fort Hood, Texas until being shipped off to Europe in 1944.

Howard on motorcycle cleaning day at Fort Hood ... this photo still hangs on his wall

Ferne shortly found herself single again and, together with one of her sisters, went out to Los Angeles during the height of the war years to seek their own brand of independence. They later told stories of the fabulous times they'd had dancing to the sound of the Big Bands at the Hollywood Palladium.

Then, in April, 1945, this news article
appeared in the Oskaloosa Herald

Howard had been a Tank Commander and while in Belgium (the newsclip says Germany, Howard says Belgium), travelling along in convoy, head poking up out of the turret, he was hit by a sniper's bullet. No pain whatsoever, he later said. Just sudden and absolute unconsciousness. On exit, the bullet had taken with it gray matter and bone.

Howard woke up two days later in a London hospital. After many months and multiple surgeries to his head wound, both in London and stateside in Philadelphia, he was patched up as he would ever get. The effect was as though he had suffered a massive stroke. His formerly strong, athletic body would now be completely paralyzed on the right side, a "Hemiplegic" for life. And, though he could think as clearly as you and I, and with the very same thought processes, he would now be plagued by "Expressive Aphasia", the inability to speak as before. Then and now, it's a word at a time, two at best, physically unable to construct a sentence since that fateful Spring day in Belgium, 1945.

The doctors told Howard he had, maybe, a year to live. They were astounded that he just ... kept ... on. So amazed were the doctors at Howards tenacity and relentless unwillingness to give up, that he actually received cards from some of them at holiday time each year. Well, those doctors were getting up in age a bit. Sometime in the 60's, the Postmans' deliveries of Well-Wishes ceased.

Howard and Fernie married after the War, after the injury, only imagining what the future might hold. In 1948, a baby girl was born. Sherry died shortly after birth. Ferne was told by the medical professionals of the day that she would never again be able to bear children. Sometime early in 1957, she hadn't been feeling well. "I must have caught some Flu that won't go away", she thought. Several months passed, it turned out to be another baby girl ... they named her Debbie. "Fernie", "Sherry" and "Debbie", the only girls names Howard could enunciate.

Howard and Fernie in 1993

No doubt, by now you've surmised that Howard is a highly determined man with a keen love for life. Handicapped as he is and has been, he's never let it keep him down. With the use of just one arm and one leg, there he would be, out in the cold Iowa winters, shoveling snow from the driveway. He later got a Cub Cadet ... with the snow plow attachment, which he put on and took off by himself ... with the mower assembly he put on and took off, the blades of which he removed and sharpened when needed, by himself. The vegetable garden he tended, the rabbits he raised, then butchered. The Airstream trailer he pulled behind the big Olds 98 ... yes, he hooked it up, unhooked it, set it up, literally singlehandedly. Drove the car with a suicide knob and left gas pedal retrofit, no sweat. That's the kind of self-determination that keeps a guy going.

... and ever remaining the daredevil. Road trips were frequent. Once, back in the 60's, the family had taken a cross country trip in a two-car caravan with Ferne's brother and his family. The brother-in-law later told of how, on one open section of the road, his car suddenly began to accelerate by itself! Imagining he has a stuck throttle linkage, he frantically tries to free it by jamming up and down on the accelerator pedal like you could do with a carburreted engine back in those days ... nothing. Not knowing what to do, he glances up, startled by the image of a huge Oldsmobile filling his rearview mirror, front bumper ON his rear bumper, pushing him down the highway at 85mph. Howard, giggling the whole time, had so deftly crept up on him that the tap was imperceptible!

This would be Howard --->

This would be everyone else --->

As capable as he has proven himself to be, without the use of the right side of his body, there was no possible way for him to ever ride a motorcycle again, something he would have dearly loved to do. He and I have talked about it and there is no question whatsoever in my mind that motorcycles would have been an intergral part of his life had he only been able to ride.

Honestly, I don't know why I hadn't done this before, but just one week ago today, I put out an APB on the "Hacks" forum of ADVrider.com for someone; anyone who lives within a reasonable distance, who would be willing to take a great old guy out for a joyride in their Sidehack, the very next best thing to Howard being able to ride himself.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514673

What an incredible response I received! So many ADVriders, people from all over the country, even one gentleman from the UK, who said if only they were near to us, or we to them, they would consider it an honor to do so. I was sent local contact info to follow up on by riders living outside our area. Members posted photos of themselves giving sidehack rides to aged ones in their own families, as well as so many others with kind words of support. Many thanks to you all.

What ever transpired?

... in the next post, Mr. B rides again!

"Road?...Where we're going, we don't neeeed roads." - Doc Brown

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

Round-I-Go screwed with this post 01-20-2010 at 11:41 PM
Round-I-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Round-I-Go OP

"Folks, we have a winnah!" ... ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

Yes, ADVrider.com member, kind soul and all-around great gal, Linda the "ol'broad", willingly stepped up to the plate and was the first to offer her time, services and her sidehack rig to help "put a smile on the old boys face", she joked! After speaking on the phone, we arranged to meet at Howards place at 11am on Sunday, October 18 .... And there she was! I could hear her rumbling up the hill, sweet music eminating from those big, beautiful chrome pipes...

And it couldn't have worked out more perfectly! You see, Howard still lives in the days of what we refer to as "Vintage" ... well, so do I a bit, and I'm 42 years younger! But "H" rode the old Harleys and Indians, so I was thinking maybe some vintage iron would make itself available, but beggars can't be choosers, right? I just specified "no little scooters, please".

Linda, the "ol'broad" ... such a gracious lady ... pilots a big, beautiful black, white and chrome VTX1300 with a real vintage look and a sweet sound that more than satisfied the old guys taste for yesteryear!

The whole scene was such a surprise to Howard; he thought we were just going out for a ride on a beautiful day ... little did he know that it was HE who would be taking the RIIIIIDE !

As I rolled him out of the house and a little way down the drive, he caught
sight of Linda's rig from a distance, "Ah there ... NICE!", he said.

So we introduced him to the "ol'broad". "Linda, meet Howard ... Howard, this is Linda"
... and let him gawk at the rig a while.

"Howard, remember I said you'd be going for a ride today ...... ?" I looked at him and winked.

"No, NO..." he said, in utter disbelief!

I carefully lifted him into the sidecar so he could try it on for size ... sweet life o' luxury!

OK, ATGATT, right Mr. B?

Mr. B and the "ol'broad", his chauffeur...

I'm sure "H" was thinking "Hey lady, you sure you know how to drive this hog?"

I got the distinct feeling this is how Linda prefers to be photographed, ready to ride!

OK people, enough foolin' around, we're burnin' daylight here ... let's ROLL!

"The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all." - Sir Richard Branson

Round-I-Go screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 12:19 PM
Old 10-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Round-I-Go OP

What an incredibly beautiful day!

And they're off!

The sun was shining. A few wispy clouds above, just enough to give character
to the sky ... warm, dry air ... the mellow rumble of the big V-twin ...
Life, indeed, is good for Mr. B today...

We're lookin' mighty serious here, Howard...

There is a great little restaurant called the Hamburger Factory directly adjacent to Old Poway Park. Buffalo Burgers, salads, home style meat 'n' potatoes cookin'. We'd occassionally take Howard on a little outing, get a lunch to-go and eat it right there in the park.

Old Poway Park is also the home of the Poway-Midland Railway, an original, transplanted and restored narrow-guage train with an authentic 1907 steam-powered yard locomotive. I learned from one of the engineers that this locomotive is commonly referred to as a "Plantation" type, as there were so many of these little workhorses that ended up doing grunt work on plantations all throughout North and South America, perhaps beyond. This particular unit was originally used in a cement factory in Northern California that actually produced much of the concrete that went to building in San Francisco and surrounding Bay Area cities in the earlier part of the 20th century.

There are other train related things to see here, too and Howard really digs this stuff.

I've gotta tell you, there's something absolutely magical about the sound and the feel of these old trains ... pure, raw mechanics...

Baldwin Locomotive Works, Philadelphia, USA, April 1907

The boiler in this locomotive is oil-fired rather than by coal

One day a couple years back, we had a nice lunch there in the park with Howard and afterward we rolled him around in the wheelchair awhile and looked at all these wonderful things. As we stopped in front of an old boxcar, Howard nonchalantly pointed toward it.

"Me ... there ... long time ago." he said.

"Yeah, you liked to jump trains when you were young, didn't you Howard?", I replied.

"Yep ... California..."

"What?!" ... I could not believe it! "You mean to tell me you hopped a train in Oskaloosa, Iowa and rode all the way out to California?"

"Yep ... two times ... "

So of course we had to ride down by the park, and "H" was able to catch a glimpse of the
depot, tracks and train to soak in a bit of the atmosphere...

Round-I-Go screwed with this post 01-12-2010 at 11:16 PM
Old 10-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 615
Thumb

Outstanding story! It sounds like Mr. B's whole life has been an epic adventure. He's clearly one of those people who helped earn his generation the nickname "The Greatest Generation."

And special kudos to The Ol' Broad for helping another rider ride again.

Doug
----------
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer

vintagemxr screwed with this post 10-20-2009 at 07:28 PM
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Round-I-Go OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
Outstanding story! It sounds like Mr. B's whole life has been an epic adventure. He's clearly one of those people who helped earn his generation the nickname "The Greatest Generation."
Yep, those old birds were made of some tough stuff, weren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemxr
And special kudos to the ol' broad for helping another rider ride again.
See that, Linda?

I TOLD you you're AWESOME!

Round-I-Go screwed with this post 10-19-2009 at 05:54 PM
Old 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Round-I-Go OP

Yes, this is perhaps the world's shortest ride report ... or, more accurately, a report on the world's shortest ride. But all (most) good things must come to an end, so it's back to the ranch and time to unload.

Linda, thanks again! There is no way we can express our gratitude for doing such a kindness as
you have done. We will be certain to pay-it-forward to another, in turn.

Hope to see you again soon!

If any of you ever see this rig roaming the roads of Southern California (and beyond),
you've just had an "ol'broad" sighting! ...... Give her two thumbs up, will ya?

Round-I-Go screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 09:31 AM
Old 10-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Awesome

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
pxfd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Perfect!

Mr B.'s daughter chose well. It is a great thing you did for the FIL. Kudos to Old Broad as well.

You reap what you sow!!!!!

Great Job
pxfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
Still Running
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
He's a lucky man to have a friend like you, and Ol'broad .
Still Running is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
boxertwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
Wow

Round-I-Go,

I am speechless. This is spectacular and I am proud of you and Linda. It is very clear from your introduction of Howard how much you love and honor him.
boxertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #11
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,506
Very cool!

Thanks for making this possible, Linda.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,767
Tremendous!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #13
gronk
HIGH ANGLE RIGGER

Oddometer: 342
Haec protegimus!! Outstanding!!!
gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 AM   #14
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,053
GO HOWARD GO

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,313
lovely, just plain lovely!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote