ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
dirtcrack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Jacket for Georgia Summers

What are you guys in the Southeast USA wearing for jacket protection in the summer? I've been looking at the the Olympia Jackets such as the Nomad, Airglide & Moab. For those of you that have these jackets, which one flows the most air? Also interested in any other brands you would recommend. Thanks.
dirtcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Street riding I wear a Tourmaster Flex
Dirt riding I wear a t-shirt with a FOX Titan body armor over it

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,702
I have an Olympia Airglide jacket and pants and really like them. Pretty much a 3 season outfit here in N GA. I'm good to down around mid-high 30's with the liners in.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 132
I have a Frank Thomas mesh jacket. I consider it disposable, ie one good street crash and it's junk. I have upgraded the the (lack of) back armor with a Rev'it SAS Tec insert.

Here's a good article on riding when it's hot...
www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
+1 on Olympia Airglide. Local motorcycle cops wear also.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,039
It doesn't really get that hot down here.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
I have the Olympia Airglide Jacket and Pants. I got them separately from members on the forum. They feel like butter when you are wearing them. I'm not even joking. On a long ride or trip, I'll wear just a tshirt and work out shorts underneath and it feels like I'm sitting around the house wearing pjs if it weren't for the armor. I don't like to keep anything on me in pockets that is even remotely hard in case of a fall (hasn't happened on the street yet), so I don't need an "adventure" style jacket that has an insane amount of pockets on it. The only thing hard I carry is my phone, keys and garage door opener and they almost all go in my pants.

I have the gray with 3M ScotchLite piping in the sleeves and everyone comments on how visible I am at night. I'm much more visible than my friends with the generic brand name stuff from regular motorcycle stores. I think the only thing better I've seen is a Hiviz jacket, but not just my style.

Alternatively, even though its only a three season jacket. I wore it today with rain/wind liner and the thicker warm liner with a thick sweater and it was 28.4 at one point on my ride over a river. My body was fine, my hands/feet will get cold before my body usually. I've ridden this way for over an hour before at 31.1 and been fine. The wind liner is the more important of the two liners I've decided.

When it gets really unbearably hot (which is always does) I go for the pants only and then a Joe Rocket Mesh Jacket. I got it for $25 used off the forum. Works great.

I also have a pair of Fox motocross gloves that I really like. I used to wear Alpinestars SP2 guantlet style leather gloves. The motocross gloves are much cooler and I have more "feel" of the bike transmitted back to me while riding. But they are of course the bare minimum of protection.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcrack View Post
What are you guys in the Southeast USA wearing for jacket protection in the summer? I've been looking at the the Olympia Jackets such as the Nomad, Airglide & Moab. For those of you that have these jackets, which one flows the most air? Also interested in any other brands you would recommend. Thanks.

Joe Rocket Mesh jacket, and I strap a set of "frogg togs" rain gear ot the seat behind me.
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
dirtcrack OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks for the suggestions. I was considering the Olympia Airglide and if the motorcycle cops in Georgia are wearing them, that is a great testimonial. I'm not a big fan of the big Adventure jackets either. I'm on the slim side so was trying to find more of a European style fit. There was one Dianese mesh jacket for about $200 at Revzilla but they put it on closeout so none in my size are left. May end up with the Airglide.
dirtcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Compared to Hades, I guess you might have a point.

I have a fly 8th street. It flows good on a hot day.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...et-mesh-jacket
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Hi-Vis Olympia Airglide here. I like it much better than the Firstgear Meshtex jacket. Armor stays put better.
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
i operate on a spaghetti noodle budget. (thinner than a shoe string, and consumable)

i bought a joe rocket textile jacket several years ago from a coworker that didn't like the length of the sleeves. it still felt a teensie bit short on me, but seeing as i had no jacket at all, i took it. its the joe rocket ballistic jacket. gets a little warm in the summer down here near florida, but the vent do promote good airflow. i have some tourmaster mesh pants with knee and hip pads. they have excellent ventilation qualities. the jacket has standard CE pads.... elbows, back and shoulders.

been looking for a tourmaster mesh jacket to match my pants... but so far nothing i can afford.

another friend of mine has a Speed & Strength mesh jacket and loved it. his had the straps on the forearm so you could really tailor the fit a little so they wouldnt slide up your arms if you go down.

b1pig screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 08:37 PM
b1pig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
Cevulirn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...ex.html?cat=12

cooler than not wearing a jacket. I also use one of these:
http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...t=41&subcat=42
Cevulirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #14
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
i operate on a spaghetti noodle budget. (thinner than a shoe string, and consumable)

i bought a joe rocket textile jacket several years ago from a coworker that didn't like the length of the sleeves. it still felt a teensie bit short on me, but seeing as i had no jacket at all, i took it. its the joe rocket ballistic jacket. gets a little warm in the summer down here near florida, but the vent do promote good airflow. i have some tourmaster mesh pants with knee and hip pads. they have excellent ventilation qualities. the jacket has standard CE pads.... elbows, back and shoulders.

been looking for a tourmaster mesh jacket to match my pants... but so far nothing i can afford.

another friend of mine has a Speed & Strength mesh jacket and loved it. his had the straps on the forearm so you could really tailor the fit a little so they wouldnt slide up your arms if you go down.
B1pig- what size do you wear? If it's an XXL pm me might have something for you for a deal.

In the summer when I ride more street oriented I go with my Fieldsheer mesh. Can't remember the name and it looks like are not making it any more. It's a heavier mesh that has abrasion like leather but flows air well and is stretchy. It's like the keprotec that they use in areas on leather one piece suits.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #15
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Yeah, it may get hot but its a "wet" heat. Not nearly as bad as that "dry" heat out west.

I was lucky enough to get a Speed and Strength Mesh jacket on closeout in my size in a color I could live with. It is actually cooler than just going with a t-shirt. It is well made and has a nice fit. I think I gave about $70 shipped from MC Superstore. With the zip out liner installed, I can ride comfortably in 40 deg temps. I only mention this because spending $200+ for a mesh jacket with only a 10% increase in performance/quality is crazy in my opinion. Unless of course you have the money to burn. In that case I wear a 42 long if you're feeling generous.