ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Roadinator OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Exploring West Virginia

Starting some weekend exploring of West Virginia (just moved to Hampshire County). Was planning to make a run Friday and Saturday to Blackwater Falls then over to Dolly Sods and then back home through Seneca Rocks. I don't know much about ADV riding in the state,so I bought a map at a convenience store that totally sucks and is worthless. What's the best way to find some fire roads and cool places to see on my travels? Would rather stay off the beaten path, but I am new to ADV riding and camping, so need to work my way up to catching my own food and building a shelter So I will start close to home and get up to speed for more travel options in the southern part of the state. Thoughts on Blackwater Falls and the northern tip ofthe Mongolia State Park?

I know there must be some recommendations for places that rock in WV?

Want to make a motorcycle travel series, so WV will be my practice

Stay tuned for some video updates...
Roadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,923
This is a nice laminated map that has a lot of the forest roads

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_791

Here's some digital info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Quote:
This map was developed by National Geographic and Esri and reflects the distinctive National Geographic cartographic style in a multi-scale reference map of the world. This reference map includes administrative boundaries, cities, protected areas, highways, roads, railways, water features, buildings…
http://mapwv.gov/trails/
Old 07-15-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,983
I've been working on a website the past couple years. Still a work in progress, but you might find some useful info.

www.RidingWV.com

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,870
DeLorme's Atlas and Gazetteer.

http://www.transportation.wv.gov/hig...ountymaps.aspx

Be careful. Some of the county routes can be quite challenging.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 1,303
I did WV two years ago. Don't just stick with the high mountain areas. All of WV is very rural and hilly-great adventure riding State.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 11,394
If you are still riding the Tiger these are doable......

Suggested rides

Canaan loop: Public Road 13 Loop (start 3.1 miles south of Davis off route 32) ends in Blackwater fall SP.
Tough for a big bikes but it has been done. Gravel forest rd to double track to single track. Deep water crossing.

Smoke Hole road (CR2) Blacktop : North of upper Tract off route 220 to route 55/28… 17 miles of twisties

Smith Mountain road (2.5 miles west of Seneca rocks off route 33/55)…….. loop it to route 28/55. (Great ride on your Tiger)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Roadinator OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Awesome info!

Yep, me and the tiger ain't afraid of nothin' (except snakes, sounds in the dark and strangers holding snakes making sounds in the dark...).

Do folks pretty much camp at campgrounds only?

Thanks and will continue to update this thread over the summer.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
dlrides
1:1.618

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
DeLorme's Atlas and Gazetteer.

/\ This /\

Don't waste your time on anything else.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrides View Post
/\ This /\

Don't waste your time on anything else.
There is also a Trans WV Trail project. I did a four-day ride last summer that included lots of it and was good fun. There is a thread here on ADV somewhere about it.

Don't forget about the Hatfield-McCoy trail system. Lots of riding to be found there. Lots of dirt roads, quad trails, and single track.

And finally, +1 on the county roads potentially being challenging. On that TWVT ride, we had a ubnch of airbox deep water crossings, miles upon miles of greasy mud and huge bike swallowing mud holes in sections. Most of the route would be fine on an adventure bike, but there were sections I was really glad I had my KTM 530 and knobby tires.

WV is just off the hook awesome for adventure riding. If you have a Garmin GPS, you can start by looking for the areas with roads shown as dashed lines (probably dirt). The dirt can range from well-maintained stuff any passenger car can travel with ease to said mudhole infested first gear slogs.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Roadinator OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just ordered the West Virginia DeLorme's Atlas and Gazetteer (that looks pretty amazing).

Thanks for all the advice. I will probably play it pretty safe on the Tiger and find the balance of remote places and enjoying the pavement. Want to find destinations that are interesting as well. I am seriously considering putting together a film about my families WV history. Something I can leave for the great grand kids about the people and places they will probably only visit a couple of times in the lives.

I need to start putting together the "on board" filmming equipment and get a decent GPS. Even buying used, there's over a thousand bucks!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #11
Roadinator OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just a quick update. Had a couple of nice rides. Thursday I took River Road out of Romney and stayed on that through Hardy County (guess it becomes Trough Road?) and back through Moorefield. Had some temperature issues with the bike and wanted to stay close to home. Friday was Smoke Hole Road and Seneca Rocks. Also checked out Big bend campground (I think is the name of it). I can't can't see paying $30 for a campsite, but the wife would consider that a pretty big adventure, so we may stay there and explore the area.

I tried to hold the camera with one hand and ride with the other. That didn't turn out to well. This weekend I get to mount my first tire, so an oil change and and hopefully add some risers. One thing is for sure, West Virginia is a pretty nice place to ride!