ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,154
Charlottesville, VA Off Road ??

Hey, I'm back into riding after a long hiatus and I'd like to find some off road stuff in the C-ville/Waynesboro area.

Anybody have a clue?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #2
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,578
I ride with some guys who ride the National Forest roads in the GW national forest. There are also a lot of uncharted trails around there. Mostly aroung the Buena Vista area. Also, I understand that KTM is sponsoring a "school" out there in the next few months. They probably know of places to go, but the buy is pretty steep ($800!).

There is an ATV area near Harrisonburg, one near Pedlar, and another in Elizabeth Furnace. These are all maintained by the forest service.

I live near Richmond, and usually end up riding in PA or New England. Just not a lot of (legal) riding opportnities here.
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm
I ride with some guys who ride the National Forest roads in the GW national forest. There are also a lot of uncharted trails around there. Mostly aroung the Buena Vista area. Also, I understand that KTM is sponsoring a "school" out there in the next few months. They probably know of places to go, but the buy is pretty steep ($800!).

There is an ATV area near Harrisonburg, one near Pedlar, and another in Elizabeth Furnace. These are all maintained by the forest service.

I live near Richmond, and usually end up riding in PA or New England. Just not a lot of (legal) riding opportnities here.
Thanks, I'd heard about Pedlar, I'll have to try that anyway. I've talked to the new KTM dealer in Charlottesville, they might have some scoop for a lowly KLR rider

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 11-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #4
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Lots and lots of great dualsport riding around C'ville, Waynesboro,the NF areas and over into WV. When I moved here a couple of years ago I got some maps and a GPS and went exploring and have many loops with a great variety of terrain. Tons of fun on a KLR- ain't that right JCK??

Give me a PM anytime you want to ride. There is a pretty good contingent of advriders in and around C'ville.

The KTM off-road school with Scot Harden and Mike Lafferty School won't really show you any new riding areas as it is being held on private property. For this class next month the emphasis is on drills, training and racing not really on doing long adventure rides. Plus I think the class is already full but there will be adventure tours scheduled for Spring '07 that will include a riding school and 3 days of long diffcult adventure rides.
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
twoburgers
Make Mine A Double

Oddometer: 223
Richmond

Hey - I'm in Richmond and looking to ride some trails. Like you, getting back into it. I am thinking about the C'ville KTM thing, but they can't provide an agenda, and I'm not too interested in paying for conditioning (gym) techniques...TwoBurgers

twoburgers screwed with this post 11-08-2006 at 01:19 AM Reason: spell
twoburgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:48 AM   #6
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SST
Give me a PM anytime you want to ride. There is a pretty good contingent of advriders in and around C'ville.
Exxxxcellent! Look for a pm!

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 11-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,316
There are some great D/S roads between C-ville and Waynesboro. Get your hands on a National Geographic "Trails Illustrated" map #789 - Lexington - Blue Ridge Mts. You might find the map at Rockfish Gap Outfitters in W'boro or Blue Ridge Mtn. Sports in C'ville has them.

Just for a start - if you go south out of W'boro on 664 to Sherando, a couple of miles past the the store at Sherando there is a right onto FR42 (if you get to the second store you have gone too far) that is a wide open gravel road. 8 or so miles down it there is an unmarked left w/ a (usally) open gate (if you get to the radio tower you just missed it) that will take you up a rocky, steep, wet, sandy climb up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are some other trails that turn off the main one - it is not difficult to get a little lost. If you find your way to the top, you emerge at MM24 (as I recall)/ Bald Mtn. overlook on the parkway.

There's a bunch more beyond this but FR42 and the jeep trail is a good one near you.

I'm going out this weekend - if you want a guided tour, I'm sure something can be arranged. Any of the rest of you FF's want to get out?

SRG

PS - Hey Bob, Mark and I found 2 nice "hero sections" the last time we were on the jeep trail. Thank Dog we were going down, I think they would be a bit on the knarly side going up cause we were wetting ourselves going down. I'll be more than happy to point them out to you.

SRG screwed with this post 11-08-2006 at 06:37 AM
SRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
Lakerider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy
Hey, I'm back into riding after a long hiatus and I'd like to find some off road stuff in the C-ville/Waynesboro area.

Anybody have a clue?
Hey hppyfngy, I live in Crozet and have a KLR. Did I see you the other day driving up Jarman's Gap Road on a, I think, green KLR? I saw someone cruisin' up that way. Lots of great riding around Crozet/Waynesworld. The topo map is an excellent idea though I often feel like I am trespassing when I'm alone. Lots of pretty cool dirt roads around White Hall area and many of them have access to jeep trails cutting up the mountain. They are serious fun.

I just got my KLR in May so am pretty new or getting back into this myself. We should def ride sometime. I've been trying, a little, to hook up with some of the nice folks on this forum for a ride but my week-ends often seem to full. I have 2 little girls so I can't always bug off for multi bike hours just yet.

I was working on a tech day in my gargage on klr650.net before that site imploded so I never followed up. Have you done the doo, etc?

Rob
Lakerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:15 AM   #9
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG
There are some great D/S roads between C-ville and Waynesboro. Get your hands on a National Geographic "Trails Illustrated" map #789 - Lexington - Blue Ridge Mts. You might find the map at Rockfish Gap Outfitters in W'boro or Blue Ridge Mtn. Sports in C'ville has them.

Just for a start - if you go south out of W'boro on 664 to Sherando, a couple of miles past the the store at Sherando there is a right onto FR42 (if you get to the second store you have gone too far) that is a wide open gravel road. 8 or so miles down it there is an unmarked left w/ a (usally) open gate (if you get to the radio tower you just missed it) that will take you up a rocky, steep, wet, sandy climb up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are some other trails that turn off the main one - it is not difficult to get a little lost. If you find your way to the top, you emerge at MM24 (as I recall)/ Bald Mtn. overlook on the parkway.

There's a bunch more beyond this but FR42 and the jeep trail is a good one near you.
Hey, I'm going to get that Nat'l Geo map and try to find some of the trails around as you suggest. Thanks!

One thing, I'm an old fart with rods and screws holdin my back together...are these trails easy enough for an old timer?

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
hppyfngy OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerider
Hey hppyfngy, I live in Crozet and have a KLR. Did I see you the other day driving up Jarman's Gap Road on a, I think, green KLR? I saw someone cruisin' up that way. Lots of great riding around Crozet/Waynesworld. The topo map is an excellent idea though I often feel like I am trespassing when I'm alone. Lots of pretty cool dirt roads around White Hall area and many of them have access to jeep trails cutting up the mountain. They are serious fun.

I just got my KLR in May so am pretty new or getting back into this myself. We should def ride sometime. I've been trying, a little, to hook up with some of the nice folks on this forum for a ride but my week-ends often seem to full. I have 2 little girls so I can't always bug off for multi bike hours just yet.

I was working on a tech day in my gargage on klr650.net before that site imploded so I never followed up. Have you done the doo, etc?

Rob
Hey Rob, I pm'd you the other day when I did a search for Crozet, believe it or not. Yep, I'd say that was me the other day as I live on Jarmans Gap Rd and my KLR is lime green..

We'll have to find each other sometime. I've been out of the business for a lot of years but I'd like to try my hand at some trails again.

Check your pm and flag down that green KLR next time you see it...

Cheers,
Randy

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
Old 11-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoburgers
Hey - I'm in Richmond and looking to ride some trails. Like you, getting back into it. I am thinking about the C'ville KTM thing, but they can't provide an agenda, and I'm not too interested in paying for conditioning (gym) techniques...TwoBurgers
2burger, wherebouts in Richmond? You dualsported or off road only? I'm in Chester and know a few places around here to ride - if you have tags. Probably not totally legal but I've yet to get in trouble.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,578
Yeah, I rode some of those the other week. Found a way under I-95!

Pete
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #13
Lakerider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy
Hey Rob, I pm'd you the other day when I did a search for Crozet, believe it or not. Yep, I'd say that was me the other day as I live on Jarmans Gap Rd and my KLR is lime green..

We'll have to find each other sometime. I've been out of the business for a lot of years but I'd like to try my hand at some trails again.

Check your pm and flag down that green KLR next time you see it...

Cheers,
Randy
I never check that PM thing and found out I had 3 from recent times, pretty cool.
Lakerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #14
Kapponification
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looking for a someone to ride with

Hello,

My name is Roberto and I'm looking for someone to ride with. I live in Charlottesville but I generally ride in South Pedlar, Tasker Gap, Rocky Run and Burning Rock Va. Since I don't like to ride by my self I was wondering if there is anyone in the area interested.

I own a KTM 350 EXCF and I'm a novice+/intermediate- rider. I can only ride on week days.

Please shoot me an email at rregoli@hotmail.com if interested.

Thanks!
Kapponification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #15
phillyrube
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
Don't know how "offroad you want to do, but I tried to ride my Harley from the edge of the road to the portal of the old Crozet tunnel under Afton Mountain. Ended up walking in.....