Old 10-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #76
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Leavin' Kanab

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519
awsome pics, and meetup.

Did the other photog have two laptops, or was it two laptops between the two of you?
Tim,

Check out our spread on the picnic table. Instead of grub, we were WIRED!!!
What you can't see in this shot, though, is Maxwell's 6 outlet power source plugged into his car for a moment to charge it...

Yep, Mr. Photog was juggling dualing laptops and an external hard drive for editing 30,000 photos he shot thus far. I was uploading my ride report at the same time on my 8.9" Asus EEE PC. Loved my little netbook for this trip.

One thing I did forget to mention on my North rim GC day was the fact that even though the North rim lodge may be closed after the middle of October, you can still stay at the warm and cozy Jacob's Lake Inn, which is a scenic 44 miles from the north rim...

On my way back to Kanab from the north rim, I was cold. So, I scooted into Jacob's Lake Inn, because I saw smoke rising from their chimney. It just so happened that they have a great bakery with very tempting cookies. I sat next to the fire thawing out with a choco chip and nut baked delight...

That gave me enough fuel before dinner to jet back to the campsite at Crazyhorse in Kanab just in time for a sunset self portrait photo shoot. Too bad I missed the magic hour lighting by seconds...

The next morning it was time to say goodbye to Kanab. So, Maxwell and I discussed route options for me to get to Vegas over bagels that were toasted on a camping toaster that Maxwell pulled out of his car.

It was a no-brainer to take the scenic route through Zion that would only add 45 minutes onto my trek. Nice to have a second brain to help bounce ideas and options off of, especially someone who is a photographer and can add some depth to the adventure.

Stay tuned for some on the road motion shots.

nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #77
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
On the road again...

So, yeah, I do have to comment on the bike looking too damn purdy. Where's the dirt you say? I agree that I need to roll Jack around in the muck 'til he squeels like a pig.

After seeing dave6523's ride report of his loop of the Grand Canyon, I didn't want to miss out on Toroweap lookout point. I had planned to camp there my 4th night, but decided that a solo chick traveling on dirt with this load wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. So, I opted to slab pretty much the whole trip.

You'll be seeing a whole new "Dirty Jack" when I return with a riding buddy. That's for sure.

So, the perks of befriending a photog on this type of adventure is that you have documentation of the road fun. After we got to Zion, Maxwell just downloaded the shots he took of me from his card into my netbook.

The load from behind, or "Does my ass look fat in these jeans?"...

and...

and then getting into Zion. You just can't see my jaw dropping inside my helmet. Yep, the splendor keeps getting better...

The highway through Zion park feels almost surreal. Here you are curving through some of the most beautifully carved, twisted, chunked, striated, curved rock that you can almost reach out and touch. It's truly hard not to crash as you rubber neck the whole way through the park with each sight surpassing the beauty of the previous one. Unreal.

The sights were so beautiful that I had to look at them again in the rearview...

Lunched at the Zion visitor's center, and enjoyed watching the comings and goings of eclectic hikers and climbers all with one thing in common...a goal to get out of their cars to physically become one with this beauty. Good for them.

This was where Maxwell and I split off into different directions. I was envious of his plan to camp at Zion and search for the "narrows" that housed the famous cave-like gaps with curved waves of red rock.

I jumped back on my bike to speed on down to Vegas. It was a bit of a ride, and by the time I found my buddy's place in Northern Vegas, it was getting dark.

Nothing like a quick hello and then off to drain their hot water heater with the most amazing and lengthy hot shower ever. Ah, fresh again.

We ended up going to a super fun pumpkin carving party at a friend's house in the upper hillside beautiful gated community.

Here's Charles (an old roommate from Santa Barbara), his beautiful wife Lorna and I with an array of freshly carved pumpkins...

No, it wasn't one of those "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" nights. But, I do tell you once my beat up bod hit the plush foam padding on their guest bed at 2a in the morning, I was one happy camper...make that non-camper. Yay, a real bed. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I had a wonderful time catching up with my dear friends, but I had to cut my visit short to get a jump on the Vegas to LA traffic. Plus, it was one damn windy day.

I hopped on the 15 and tore back to LA keeping Jack in the carpool lane the whole way. I got home at 7:30p Sunday night and rushed to see my sweet little angels that I missed so much.

Here's tired mommy and the angels...

Yep, then I was up 'til 2 plugging in my ride report. But, that's a fun kind of tired.

Then this morning I had to tally any bike casualties. Only one. My left flasher. Threadlock shmedlock...

Now, I have a fresh perspective on life and living it to its fullest. I'll be designing more aftermarket parts and doing my best to make Rugged Rider a successful business. Watch for my new DRZ skid plate coming out soon.

And, let me tell you, this industry is fun and supportive, because of people like you that are traveling this fun adventure with me. Thanks for the support.

I'll be adding a little more tomorrow that goes into detail about the things that worked and the things that didn't on this trip.

nicomama screwed with this post 02-22-2010 at 12:56 PM
nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #78
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Post #77, Epilogue...Great writing, great photos, nice conclusion

Cheers,

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #79
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Are you planning on selling your products at the Long Beach motorcycle show in December.
Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #80
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,638
>"I did a trip and had a little incident... ended up losing pretty much all my gear on my first day "

What happened? Did the luggage get hung up in the wheel?
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #81
dungbeatle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
great ride

Most exellent RR, inspires me to do the same type trip. I admire your abilty to ride, pack lite, go on a ride on your own into some not so forgiving land and mostly to capture the land in a way that makes everyone envious of your ride.
Great work, keep riding and reporting.
dungbeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #82
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama

Also, when you're travelling daily to your next location how do you wash clothes? Fly underwear and socks off the back of your bike like prayer flags on Mt Everest?
You know, this isn't a bad idea for a guaranteed front page photo.
groop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #83
rogerfjrfaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Talking Solo Chick's Ride

Nicomama
Great ride report and pictures was along for the whole ride.
roger'sklr
Old 10-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #84
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Great Report! Reminds me it's been too many decades since I was at the
Grand Canyon. It's great to see and read you great women warriors.....
so much insight.....so little testosterone. Ride Life!
prsdrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #85
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Great ride report. I love southern Utah. Brings back alot of fond memories. Thanks for sharing.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #86
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,126
Thumb Yep, I'm in on this one too...

Great report - looking forward to more!
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #87
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Excellent report. Thanks for posting. It is nice to see a self reliable and confident woman with good camping and motorcycling skills. You might inspire others doing the same.
Well Done.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #88
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget
For those of us who own 8 inch lights, please provide more detail on your bracket to attach the wind screen, and which wind screen did you use? I know I'm know I'm not the only one looking for this info. I need to have my subframe welded so this is a good time to take the light bracket to the welder as well! Many thanks, and that's a cool bike!

+1 please give us more info on that sweet light/windscreen setup
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 AM   #89
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 967
Awsome report , did Sedona area in a cage in March, cant wait to get back on a bike.

DRZ as an adventure bike eh!, hmm. what a great idea . I either need one of your racks or learn to pack lighter, likley both, lol.

toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #90
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,302
OPA!!